When to : BENCH / RELEASE: Trubisky

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So there has not been a useful post made about Bears football in a month, we are in the dreads of the offseason. So I figured why not make a thread that will at least get peoples attention, and its an interesting thought experiment.

What would it take for Trubisky to be benched by week 8?

When would you move on from Trubisky, and what would he have had to do to make that decision possible?
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Trubisky has the interesting quality that he doesn't appear to be bothered by a bad play or a bad string of plays. Now if we combine that with a Testaverde or Cutler like penchant for throwing bad interceptions late in games, or if he has a 2 - 1, INT - TD ratio, then He'll quickly get the ire of fans.

However, I do not belive that he will play at a level that would get him benched by week 8 this year. So the only likely thing that could happen IMO, is injury.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Biscuit would have to start throwing INTs at a rate that would make Grossman blush for me to want him benched.

I understand that while my expectations are sky high that Biscuit is in year 2. Year 2. And he has a new offense to learn on top of it.

Then in terms of release, for me it would be some sort of Michael Vick dog fighting ring.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The only viable scenario I see where he's released would be if he's in some type of accident and is paralysed or something.

Benched? 2x picks to TD's would do that, by week 8 I'd say...
UOK
Site Admin

We're most definitely in the offseason.
Bad Flanders
MVP

Unless Tru gets caught in Justin Beiber's tour bus masturbating furiously while sniffing the Beib's hair brush, I say let him play a whole year even if the games get rough.

And even if he does get caught... I mean live and let live right?
wab
Mod

Barring injury, I don't see him benched at any point during the season. As far as moving on from him, he'd have to be historically bad for multiple seasons for the Bears to move on from him.
Z Bear
MVP

Once we start comparing him to McNown, Quinn, and Krenzel
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote:Once we start comparing him to McNown, Quinn, and Krenzel
Don't forget Rick Mirer! :-P

When I first saw this thread, I took a guess who started it before looking at the name. I was glad to be wrong. :-P
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Z Bear wrote:Once we start comparing him to McNown, Quinn, and Krenzel
Don't forget Rick Mirer! :-P

When I first saw this thread, I took a guess who started it before looking at the name. I was glad to be wrong. :-P
Yeah I figured something semi outrageous would get people to click. Kind of like modern media.

Obviously baring injury, I think a 3-1 int/td ratio. 2/1 would be chalked up to youth. Add in a low 50% completion and he will be benched before week 8.

1997 Rick Mirer 3 GS 0TD 6 int 51% comp
1999 Cade McNown 6GS 8 TD 10 INT 54% COMP
2000 Cade McNown 9 GS 8TD 9 INT 55% COMP
2017 Mitch Trubisky 12 GS 7TD 7INT 59% COMP
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I see what your doing here..... but

I just don't see either happening. Have no doubts that he will have some bumps in the road, but just don't see anything but upside on him. He has the talent and head for it.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:I see what your doing here..... but

I just don't see either happening. Have no doubts that he will have some bumps in the road, but just don't see anything but upside on him. He has the talent and head for it.
Realistically Mitch is far from a sure thing. So not having any doubts is in my opinion asinine. However I agree he likely won't fail enough to make my criteria
Richie
MVP

Barring injury... it appears to be about impossible (to me) that Trubisky could be benched.

This organization has everything invested into him. There's no way they give up in his first full season as the starter.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Barring injury, I don't see him benched at any point during the season. As far as moving on from him, he'd have to be historically bad for multiple seasons for the Bears to move on from him.
A failure by Biscuits, is a failure by Nagy, and a failure on both by Pace. Effectively ending his GM career at age 47 or whatever he is. It will take a monumental melt-down by HC and QB for the Bears to move on.
Richie
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:Barring injury, I don't see him benched at any point during the season. As far as moving on from him, he'd have to be historically bad for multiple seasons for the Bears to move on from him.
A failure by Biscuits, is a failure by Nagy, and a failure on both by Pace. Effectively ending his GM career at age 47 or whatever he is. It will take a monumental melt-down by HC and QB for the Bears to move on.
Yeah, if that happens - we'll effectively be back where we started after 2014. As we'd 100% be clearing house and starting back over.

Which would be devastating. Talks of us being the NFC's Browns wouldn't look like such outrageous hyperbole anymore.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Bad Flanders wrote:Unless Tru gets caught in Justin Beiber's tour bus masturbating furiously while sniffing the Beib's hair brush, I say let him play a whole year even if the games get rough.

And even if he does get caught... I mean live and let live right?

Still, to be benched for the likes of what we have he has to have completely self-destructed. Double the INTs to TDs, flipping out on the sidelines at his teammates, etc. Still, if we are getting our asses kicked by week 8 you let him take his lumps and get the better draft pick IMO.

To be released he would have to be in major legal trouble, I'm talking Jared from Subway level shit.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wtf?

I am not a fan of this topic as it injects negative energy into what has been up to now a positive situation.

My response would be if Trubisky turns into Grossman, he will be benched. If after his benching and return to the lineup he shows no clue, then released.

But I do not think the odds of that happening are very good at all.

UOK wrote:We're most definitely in the offseason.
yeah ... :sick:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I think the answer is obvious. If he sucks, and doesn't improve, he will probably get benched when the team has a viable alternative starter....which would be at least a year off. The back-ups we have are good mentors and emergency injury guys. However, I do not see it happening quickly even if he struggles all season because they are committed to him.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:So there has not been a useful post made about Bears football in a month, we are in the dreads of the offseason. So I figured why not make a thread that will at least get peoples attention, and its an interesting thought experiment.

What would it take for Trubisky to be benched by week 8?

When would you move on from Trubisky, and what would he have had to do to make that decision possible?
What the fuck!?

BAD! BAD MMMC!!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I stand by it. Grossman looked really good for a minute. I saw some good and some bad from Trubisky. I want him to take a Goff jump and think he will, but wouldn't be surprised if he is more Christian Ponderish.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:I saw some good and some bad from Trubisky. I want him to take a Goff jump and think he will

mmmc_35 wrote:but wouldn't be surprised if he is more Christian Ponderish.

George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Image

I stand by it. Grossman looked really good for a minute. I saw some good and some bad from Trubisky. I want him to take a Goff jump and think he will, but wouldn't be surprised if he is more Christian Ponderish.
Christian Ponder had a popgun arm my dude.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well I did say I think he will take a jump, however if I need to play the other side... I said Ponderish. Would you have preferred E.J. Manuelish, or Jake Lockerish.

I do think he will improve, but as a Bear fan I have to temper my enthusiasm.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:I do think he will improve, but as a Bear fan I have to temper my enthusiasm.
and that is understandable, but to compare Trubisky with the likes of Ponder is like comparing a nice fresh sirloin with a Swanson's frozen Salisbury Steak
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Well I did say I think he will take a jump, however if I need to play the other side... I said Ponderish. Would you have preferred E.J. Manuelish, or Jake Lockerish.

I'd have prefer you never made this thread, sir!

*throws down gauntlet*

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:Well I did say I think he will take a jump, however if I need to play the other side... I said Ponderish. Would you have preferred E.J. Manuelish, or Jake Lockerish.

I'd have prefer you never made this thread, sir!

*throws down gauntlet*

I second

the thread is negative waves man

George Carlin
Nanky
Journeyman

Let's go the other way . . . make it positive. I'd release him after he turned 39 years old and led the Bears to 3 Super Bowl Championships during his hall of fame career with the Bears. Unfortunately he wants to continue to play, but it's time for the Bears to move on because they have Aaron Rodgers Jr in the wings waiting to take over and the potential to keep the Bears in the Championship hunt for the next 15 years. The end.
Umbali
MVP

I read my post to my wife out loud and it made no sense to her and to me. She told me dont post when I am drunk. She is smart. So I edited to my post to say.....

Ummmm

We deserve some goodness, right?!

Bear Down!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
G08
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote:I read my post to my wife out loud and it made no sense to her and to me. She told me dont post when I am drunk. She is smart. So I edited to my post to say.....

Ummmm

We deserve some goodness, right?!

Bear Down!
:lol: sounds like something I would do

Bad Flanders
MVP

Nanky wrote:Let's go the other way . . . make it positive. I'd release him after he turned 39 years old and led the Bears to 3 Super Bowl Championships during his hall of fame career with the Bears. Unfortunately he wants to continue to play, but it's time for the Bears to move on because they have Aaron Rodgers Jr in the wings waiting to take over and the potential to keep the Bears in the Championship hunt for the next 15 years. The end.
I think a boy has to like having sex with girls to make a jr.