Coach Nagy has Cohen lining up everywhere

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

skamanfrank
Journeyman

According to Cohen:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... y-position" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I feel like if I could kick the football, he'd also want me to kick the football, too," Cohen quipped. "It just goes to show how many places he has me at. I've been everywhere. I've been at every position. It's crazy."
Have to say that I am extremely excited to see more of him this year!
UOK
Site Admin

Skill recognizes skill.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

It's definitely something to watch.

I'm really dubious about how effective sets with Cohen and Gabriel can be. Interested to see how that plays out.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Of course, the flip side to all this positivity could be that he doesn't actually fit in anywhere.... He seems like such a talented and athletic guy I'd be surprised if that's the case though?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I don't see it that way. We have a weapon in Cohen that can be used in multiple facets of the offense and it just makes sense to have him as a wild card in formations.

Cohen is the type of player that gets one step on the defender and he's going to the end zone. Whatever scheme they do to trick the defender on him to get that separation and then all you gotta do is put the ball in his hands. Six points.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:It's definitely something to watch.

I'm really dubious about how effective sets with Cohen and Gabriel can be. Interested to see how that plays out.
I'm not dubious about it at all. If you're defending and there's a guy on the other side who can run right by you, that demands special attention. We saw it last year with Cohen getting taken away later in the year. Now you throw out a second guy who can fly and either you're going to back your safeties way off to stop the home run threats--which expands the open space for everything short and intermediate, or you jam those guys and roll the dice that you don't get burnt deep. Not a pleasant situation to defend.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Richie
MVP

skamanfrank wrote:Of course, the flip side to all this positivity could be that he doesn't actually fit in anywhere.... He seems like such a talented and athletic guy I'd be surprised if that's the case though?
He likely won't be a superstar at any one given thing -- but rather "good" and a big play threat in multiple different facets. Which is a very valuable commodity.

If he winds-up being a young Darren Sproles for us -- that's fantastic.
Bad Flanders
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
Moriarty wrote:It's definitely something to watch.

I'm not dubious about it at all. If you're defending and there's a guy on the other side who can run right by you, that demands special attention. We saw it last year with Cohen getting taken away later in the year. Now you throw out a second guy who can fly and either you're going to back your safeties way off to stop the home run threats--which expands the open space for everything short and intermediate, or you jam those guys and roll the dice that you don't get burnt deep. Not a pleasant situation to defend.
agreed. this is all about getting the D to open up. Both of them on the field at the same time is just going to force a little more respect for the deep ball. Add to that the fact that neither of them are just speed guys (this is NOT Bernard Barrian here) either one of these two can run a wide receiver screen with the best of them (look up highlights of Gabriel's screens in their 2016 game against the Cards) and we all know what kind of moves Cohen has. AND you have Howard, Allen Rob, Burton, or maybe Mitch deciding to keep it...

I mean, pick your poison. Someone on the D is going to be mismatched and hopefully out of position if Mitch runs the read option right.

This hinges on everyone, especially Mitch, making good reads. But this is other level offense compared to what they had last year.

Sorry, too much coolaid I know. But damn. This can really work. Lets just hope Mitch is a smarty.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

You have Cohen and Gabriel on the outside, Burton at TE and Robinson in the slot, how do you defend that? Then you throw in the running threat of Howard from the passing set...defenses are going to go nuts. Then you hurry on 2 TE's and bring off the speedsters, and are we running or passing? The CB's just had to run their butts off trying to keep up with the little speedsters, now the big guys are coming in and are going to run them over.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

After you guys drain your glasses, what offenses can you name that regularly, successfully made use of a double smurf formation?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:After you guys drain your glasses, what offenses can you name that regularly, successfully made use of a double smurf formation?
Name one that didn't?
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Atkins&Rebel wrote:You have Cohen and Gabriel on the outside, Burton at TE and Robinson in the slot, how do you defend that? Then you throw in the running threat of Howard from the passing set...defenses are going to go nuts. Then you hurry on 2 TE's and bring off the speedsters, and are we running or passing? The CB's just had to run their butts off trying to keep up with the little speedsters, now the big guys are coming in and are going to run them over.
Just pointing out that while Burton isn't an in-line TE, he is definitely a major plus blocker on the outside compared to a normal WR. Having Burton and Robinson in the slot will also be advantageous for Howard in the run game.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I am a tad concerned with this everyone has special roles thing. It can work, especially if done correct, but when you have several players like that will it?
Richie
MVP

Moriarty wrote:After you guys drain your glasses, what offenses can you name that regularly, successfully made use of a double smurf formation?
Why don't we start by naming those who have tried it...

Care to begin that process?
Funkster
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:I am a tad concerned with this everyone has special roles thing. It can work, especially if done correct, but when you have several players like that will it?
I’m right there with you. To add, I really like Cohen as a wrinkle, he can score anytime, he really has the heart to be a good player, his motor is high and he’s good for the team but I’m not really buying into the hype that he’s going to be a week in and week out game changer. What I am excited for is how the scheme will disguise him, we all knew where the ball was going when he was on the field last year.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Cohen is six points waiting to happen. I don't pretend to be an offensive guru at all, but I personally would like to get him in as many 1-1 situations as a WR as possible. He will never get the #1 CB assigned to him especially if AR15 is on the field. #2 CB at best, but most likely the nickel corner.

Cohen v a nickel corner 1 on 1? Gimme that. He's got the separation all day long. If the nickel corner is dumb enough to play press coverage Cohen has 2 steps on him in the first ten yards. Now if the nickel corner plays 10 yards off I can live with an 8 yard pass and let Cohen get some YAC provided it isn't 3rd and 20 of course. Again, he's 1-1 against a nickel corner.

In either a shotgun formation or regular, put Cohen as the lone WR in a 3 or 4 WR set on the weak side if there's a TE. Go deep straight out or a post route. Try and get the safeties to bite on the other WRs by forcing the inside WR on the opposite side of Cohen to run in between the LBs and safeties.

In my opinion its the perfect play to do early in the game to stretch the defense and get them thinking and if it works its 6 points.
Funkster
MVP

He does have big play abilities, but he will have to be used properly not just a gimmick. IMO, this will be the intriguing part and maybe why they’re moving him all over, to see where he fits the best. Last season with 87 rushing attempts, 53 reception, 26 KO returns and 29 punt returns (195 total touches) he scored 4 times or once ever 49 touches or basically 2 points per game on average. The Bears will need more production out of him this season to justify keeping him on the field. He’s such a fun player to watch, I can’t wait for this season.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:He does have big play abilities, but he will have to be used properly not just a gimmick. IMO, this will be the intriguing part and maybe why they’re moving him all over, to see where he fits the best. Last season with 87 rushing attempts, 53 reception, 26 KO returns and 29 punt returns (195 total touches) he scored 4 times or once ever 49 touches or basically 2 points per game on average. The Bears will need more production out of him this season to justify keeping him on the field. He’s such a fun player to watch, I can’t wait for this season.
Not just about scoring...give me the break down of first downs (or even 4.0 average on his 140 offensive touches) vs. negative plays.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Funkster
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Funkster wrote:He does have big play abilities, but he will have to be used properly not just a gimmick. IMO, this will be the intriguing part and maybe why they’re moving him all over, to see where he fits the best. Last season with 87 rushing attempts, 53 reception, 26 KO returns and 29 punt returns (195 total touches) he scored 4 times or once ever 49 touches or basically 2 points per game on average. The Bears will need more production out of him this season to justify keeping him on the field. He’s such a fun player to watch, I can’t wait for this season.
Not just about scoring...give me the break down of first downs (or even 4.0 average on his 140 offensive touches) vs. negative plays.
I totally agree. I don’t want to sound like I don’t like the kid because I really do. I’m just saying we keep talking about (I’m guilty too) how he can score whenever he touches the ball and that isn’t really th case. He will be good in this offense if he can get to green which I believe Nagy’s system will allow. I’m also saying there are only so many offensive snaps and his opportunities may go down this season with all the new skilled players and Howard.
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

Another benefit is that despite his size, he doesn't get injured, even popping up emphitcaly after a tough hit.

However, I would not like to see him as the primary back if Howard were to go down.
Richie
MVP

BlueAndOrangeDog wrote:Another benefit is that despite his size, he doesn't get injured, even popping up emphitcaly after a tough hit.

However, I would not like to see him as the primary back if Howard were to go down.
Nor do I think he would be. I'm pretty certain Cunningham would shoulder the 1st/2nd down load.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Drew Hill and Ernest Givens were both at most 5'9" and caught 70+ passes each from Warren Moon in '90 and '91.

And considering where this offense is getting its roots from - we'd be smart to look at what teams did under Art Briles at Baylor or Mark Helfrich/Chip Kelly at Oregon.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Three Amigos from the Broncos: Vance Johnson, Ricky Nattiel and Mark Jackson. Mid to late 1980s with Elway.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:The Three Amigos from the Broncos: Vance Johnson, Ricky Nattiel and Mark Jackson. Mid to late 1980s with Elway.
Not that this affects my perspective on this discussion, but my oldest son was born about 4 hours after Denver drafted Ricky Nattiel. I lived in Denver at the time and my wife told me it was time to go to the hospital as Denver was on the clock on 4/28/87. :evilgrin:

Too bad Nattiel sucked. But those other two guys were pretty decent.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

How can we forget the Marks Brothers - Duper and Clayton of the Dolphins.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

This conversation brings up another thought. Are we, and a large percentage of the NFL, guilty of overlooking good to great football players because they don't fit a certain mold?

Barry was a shrimp, Steve Smith was a shrimp, the best WR in the NFL right now is 5'10" if you stretch him.

My point would be, if you can play football well, who gives a crap what the height is?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Skill recognizes skill.
Where's the 'like' button?

Totally agree. Nagy sees an opportunity to put the defense at a disadvantage, just by having Cohen on the field. Love it.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:This conversation brings up another thought. Are we, and a large percentage of the NFL, guilty of overlooking good to great football players because they don't fit a certain mold?

Barry was a shrimp, Steve Smith was a shrimp, the best WR in the NFL right now is 5'10" if you stretch him.

My point would be, if you can play football well, who gives a crap what the height is?
Of course. Receivers are tall, guards are fat and LB's are 245 lbs. I think that there is an 'ideal size' stigma for every position, and we doubt the players that don't fit that mold. Aaron Donald is another great example. You're not supposed to be 6' 280, and be able to do what he does. But he does.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:This conversation brings up another thought. Are we, and a large percentage of the NFL, guilty of overlooking good to great football players because they don't fit a certain mold?

Absolutely. The problem is that we'll never know the extent of it because how many people could've been great but because they were too much this or too little that they never saw enough of the field to develop.

This is not intended as a political comment, but I feel that Tim Tebow was criticized way too much as a football player for the reality of the situation.

He was a Florida Player Of The Year in high school.
He had an excellent college career including a Heisman.
In 2011, his second year in the league, he had twice as many TDs as INTs on an 8-8 Broncos team including a playoff victory against the Steelers.

But his throwing motion and mechanics didn't fit the prototypical style. If that was the posture in baseball we'd never have the sidearmer, submariner or knuckleballer.

Why not develop the guy when he's shown a natural ability to win? Get a QB coach to help him out. Who knows how many WRs, RBs, LBs, DLs, etc etc etc would've turned out great had it not been for development?
Sugashane
Player of the Month

The Marshall Plan wrote:

Absolutely. The problem is that we'll never know the extent of it because how many people could've been great but because they were too much this or too little that they never saw enough of the field to develop.

This is not intended as a political comment, but I feel that Tim Tebow was criticized way too much as a football player for the reality of the situation.

He was a Florida Player Of The Year in high school.
He had an excellent college career including a Heisman.
In 2011, his second year in the league, he had twice as many TDs as INTs on an 8-8 Broncos team including a playoff victory against the Steelers.

But his throwing motion and mechanics didn't fit the prototypical style. If that was the posture in baseball we'd never have the sidearmer, submariner or knuckleballer.

Why not develop the guy when he's shown a natural ability to win? Get a QB coach to help him out. Who knows how many WRs, RBs, LBs, DLs, etc etc etc would've turned out great had it not been for development?
I'm a Gators fanatic, have been since I was a little kid. The problem with Tebow was two things, maddening inconsistencies and a ravenous fanbase.

His completion percentage of approx 50% is not as bad as it seems, but is still really bad. He was a guy who threw a TON of deep balls, his yards per completion were higher than Brady, Rodgers, or Brees even though he threw a ton of passes behind the LOS. He would routinely throw screens and slants in the dirt. His mechanics were a major fault in that, and his processing was slow as he was in a simply offense at FLA. Both failings have a ton to do with Meyer, who has had one QB end up worth a damn I can think of as a pro in Alex Smith, and we know he didn't have a stellar start by any means. More of his success is due to Reid than Meyer. He needed to spend time refining his motion in college, and the staff at FLA did nothing to help him out. They just milked the talent for all they could, then Meyer had his ***cough -punk bitch - cough** health issues after Tebow and Co left.

Second, outside of Manning, Brady, and a few elite QBs, most fanbases would have been swamped with "Tebow Time" and such, billboards calling for him to start after every poor QB performance or missed playoffs. He needed 2-3 years of work in the background. Chicago wasn't a place he could do well in, not with our coaches.

I would have loved to had him, not at a first round pick though of course. I'd have had him running every offensive scout team rep. It isn't the exact same as your system but you are still implementing plays against the first and second team defenses, still working on footwork, reading defenses, etc in real time, and best of all - no media coverage. His horrible motion is getting fixed piece by piece, his accuracy woes aren't getting blasted on national television, and he still gets to get implemented in a system. I think he could have had a Donovan McNabb career if he was given time and trained (who was good not great all but one or two years). Around 2/1 TD to INT ratio and nearing 60% completion percentage and always a threat to run.