I'm ready. Are you?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Anthony Miller blog post 7/2/18.

I thought about giving this thread a clearer title. But I figured it would be fun for readers to guess the source. :evilgrin:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Maybe it's cynical of me to say this, but let's see Miller catch a few real passes. Sure I love the confidence, and I understood the first time he said it. Maybe he will be the next Jerry Rice. Odds point to not. Also we all work with people who think they are special, and say they work the hardest. It's prove it time.
WagonForce
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:Maybe it's cynical of me to say this, but let's see Miller catch a few real passes. Sure I love the confidence, and I understood the first time he said it. Maybe he will be the next Jerry Rice. Odds point to not. Also we all work with people who think they are special, and say they work the hardest. It's prove it time.
Nothing cynical about wanting to see results on the field from where I'm sitting.

I like Miller's attitude, but I'm reasonably sure that many if not most of the athletes in the NFL possess a similar alpha dog mentality. It's simply too competitive for players harboring material self doubt to make it in, let alone be successful.

The line between confidence and arrogance is measured by ability. I'm 100% rooting for Miller to thrive in the NFL, and if he does, his outward belief in himself up to this point will be icing on the cake. If he struggles or worse, can't cut it, all this self promotion will look pretty silly.

All that being said, it's entertaining for me as a fan to see someone 'push all their chips into the middle' like Miller has done in his interactions with the media. Here's hoping he (and subsequently the Bears) win big.
Bad Flanders
MVP

I always wonder how much guys at this level really push themselves. If failure is a lack of ability or drive. I don't think we need to wonder about this guy's drive.
Richie
MVP

I genuinely think Miller is going to break most of our main receiving records. Not because he'll ever be more elite than Marshall was for that brief stint. However, just because he'll be damn good for a long period of time.

Honestly, the crazy homer in me does see some Antonio Brown in him when I watch the tape.

I really do love this guy already and have since we picked him.
docc
Head Coach

Hopefully..
It's Miller Time..

We'll see..
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

With the exception of Brandon Marshall, there have been no Bears WRs who were the big talkers who could back it up. All of the other good ones were the quiet type.

The negative factor in having outward verbal confidence as a WR, is if things don't go as planned as a rookie, then there are additional things he has to overcome.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I have to admit, I had no idea who Miller was on draft day. But watching the footage on him I was impressed. It will be interesting to see how many looks he gets entering the season. Howard, Cohen, Gabby, Robinson. Burton, and Sheehan will all be getting looks. So it will be tough to start out hot on his rookie campaign. He will have to make the most of his opportunities to get more looks in this offense.

I really like this kids potential, but I'll be keeping any kind of expectations down until things shake out. I do see A Brown type of WR here though.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Miller will cut his teeth as Robinson's complement. Gabriel and Cohen are big play sub package guys, so Miller will be the dependable chain mover by the end of the season.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I just hope Kevin White is watching closely how well Miller runs routes.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Richie
MVP

BlueAndOrangeDog wrote:With the exception of Brandon Marshall, there have been no Bears WRs who were the big talkers who could back it up. All of the other good ones were the quiet type.

The negative factor in having outward verbal confidence as a WR, is if things don't go as planned as a rookie, then there are additional things he has to overcome.
Is Miller a trash talker? I haven't seen him do that yet and I can't find him doing it in college.
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

Richie wrote:
BlueAndOrangeDog wrote:With the exception of Brandon Marshall, there have been no Bears WRs who were the big talkers who could back it up. All of the other good ones were the quiet type.

Is Miller a trash talker? I haven't seen him do that yet and I can't find him doing it in college.
I didn't say trash talker, I said big talker, and yes, he has made headlines several times as an unproven rookie saying things that players like Marty Booker, Bernard Berrian, Marcus Robinson, and others never did when in his position.

Play big, then you can talk all you want.
BBF
Player of the Month

46Blitz wrote:I have to admit, I had no idea who Miller was on draft day. But watching the footage on him I was impressed. It will be interesting to see how many looks he gets entering the season. Howard, Cohen, Gabby, Robinson. Burton, and Sheehan will all be getting looks. So it will be tough to start out hot on his rookie campaign. He will have to make the most of his opportunities to get more looks in this offense.

I really like this kids potential, but I'll be keeping any kind of expectations down until things shake out. I do see A Brown type of WR here though.
46Blitz, are you in for MOTML?

I also am very optimistic on Miller. The guy seems super confident and motivated to be one of the best receivers in the league.
Richie
MVP

BlueAndOrangeDog wrote:
Richie wrote:

I didn't say trash talker, I said big talker, and yes, he has made headlines several times as an unproven rookie saying things that players like Marty Booker, Bernard Berrian, Marcus Robinson, and others never did when in his position.

Play big, then you can talk all you want.
Eh, he hasn't said anything big. Saying he's going to be a great receiver isn't big talk to me. Most young guys say these type of things to display and inspire confidence. He's more so just talked about how hard he's going to work and how he'll succeed. He has not gone after anyone else. I honestly don't even think it's big talk...