Hayes: OTA Report

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

OTA report

By Neil Hayes

on June 16, 2010 1:44 PM

If you're looking for a blast of NFL football after the Stanley Cup Finals and before turning your lonely eyes to the Cubs and Sox, Devin Aromashodu caught a touchdown pass from Jay Cutler on a short post route between Craig Steltz and Zackary Bowman on Wednesday. Cutler talked up his receiving corps in an interview on the "Waddle and Silvy" show on WMVP (AM-1000) that I posted earlier, but it was little-known Rashied Davis who was most impressive at a Bears offseason workout at Halas Hall on Wednesday afternoon.

The backup receiver and special teams performer caught two touchdown passes and would've had three if not for juggling one in the back of the end zone.

"I don't know," Davis said when asked how much of offensive coordinator Mike Martz's offense the team has learned thus far. "I'm not in that man's head. You have to ask Mr. Martz. I don't know how many plays there are. We have a lot. I don't know if that's half of the playbook or what."

Learning Martz's offense was once again the topic of the day. Devin Hester seemed especially enthusiastic.

"It spins every day," Hester said when asked if his head was spinning. "There's a pop quiz every day. We go home and study and have a test coming up the next day."

More from Hester on Martz: "He has got 50 to about 100 different formations and you can run five or six plays out of each formation. It's a lot of plays."

There's never a lot of report from a OTA. What was most interesting the team asked the media not to report. There's not some big conspiracy going on or anything, just some things they are working on that they don't want the Lions knowing about, even if it is only June. As a general rule, teams ask the media not to report or specific plays or formations that are being run during a practice. We were reminded of that after practice Wednesday.

Johan Asiata continued to get snaps at left guard with the first team. Josh Beekman was playing center for Olin Kreutz.

One of the more interesting things to watch was Brad Maynard attempting to punt footballs into a garbage can. The veteran was 50 yards away from the blue plastic container and dropped ball after ball amazingly close to his target, although he failed to bury one. Then he moves the can to another spot on the field and starts over.

I wish I were as accurate with a golf club as he is with his foot.