Wishful thinking: Urlacher for Boldin?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Urlacher for Boldin?

Yes, he's been a good soldier but lets get something for him while we can.
83%
No, he's a cornerstone and he needs to retire as a Bear.
17%

Total votes: 18
wab
Mod

I'd say yes... If the Cards came calling I would have to say yes. For all the things 54 has done for this team, we need Boldin.
gaba
Head Coach

At this point, if I had to choose between Urlacher and Briggs, I'd take Briggs in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to lose Url, but that's just sentimentality talking. I'd trade him for a top-notch receiver without a second thought.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Fumblebuck
MVP

I said yes. Url, isn't the same player he was a few years ago, and from a pure football standpoint Boldin is a better player at a more important and harder to find position. It'd be tough seeing Url go, but it'd be best for the team
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

he gone. I would not even have to think about it. No offense to Url, but Boldin would help this team over the hump more than Url can at this point in time.
IE
Hall of Famer

Anquan Boldin is, IMO, one of the top ten stars of the league. Briggs is the star of the Bear defense ... by a long shot.

Sorry, Brian...
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
MamaBear
Player of the Month

Damn, it would be a sad day. Think about all those number 54 Bears jerseys out there. LOL. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Is this really a possibility though?
IE
Hall of Famer

MamaBear wrote:Damn, it would be a sad day. Think about all those number 54 Bears jerseys out there. LOL. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Is this really a possibility though?
Probably not... more just a chance to emphasize how important and what it would be worth to get an offensive talent like Boldin on our team.

I don't want to pretend to understand the cap situation, but I'd imagine Urlacher's cost alone would nix any deal for him unless it was a bigger deal (more players, draft picks).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Yeah, Boldin is a pipe dream. My point was that I don't think there is a player on this team I would rather have over Boldin with the exception being Forte.....maybe.

We have to re-up kyle and Boldin is going to want a contract that will make most GM's shit themselves. I imagine that he will end up in Philly for a 1st, 3rd and Lito Sheppard....unless the Cards try to keep him buy figuring out a way to restructure Fitzgeralds retarded deal.

They also have to resign Warner, Dansby and Dockett...they won't have the cap to keep all three plus Boldin.
G08
Hall of Famer

In a heartbeat. We'd be a better team with Boldin at WR than we are with Urlacher at MLB. I did think Urlacher was playing hard yesterday, though.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Pagan
MVP

Yeah, it sucks that were even considering such a thing right now- I'd like to think he has 4 or 5 good years left in him. I'd make this trade all day every day. I would like to see him retire as a Bear, but I think he may have to learn to play weakside LB for that to happen. This defense wont fire like it should if he continues to fall apart.

pagan
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'd make this trade in a heartbeat, then move Briggs to MLB where he played in college.

And I fart in the general direction of all who cry the "loyalty" aspect of this. Modern day players are mercenaries, plain and simple, and will immediately jump ship for a better contract without any tearful farewell to the fans who faithfully followed them in the city they are leaving.

Urlacher is simply a commodity with an expiration date approaching much faster than I thought it would. Trade him now while his name is still up in lights on a marquee.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

The only reason I would want to keep Urlacher is the fact that guys like Keith Brooking and Derrick Brooks are still playing so well even though they've been in the league 12+ years. But I don't think Urlacher will get to that level when he gets to his 12th year unless he gets 100% healthy, and I don't see that happening.

Go ahead and make the trade.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
gaba
Head Coach

I'd love to see Briggs in the middle. It would be better in a more traditional system though, where the MLB is actually part of the gameplan.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
RumpShaker
Practice Squad

To be honest, I wouldnt trade him for too many players.... However Boldin happens to be one of those few. I would take a stud OT, G, or Center... or maybe another star-substar WR entering his prime (3-5 vet). Recievers take the most time to adjust to the game at this level and develop(3yrs imo). So if you can get a stud that isnt on the tail end of his career, then do it. I like URl as much as anyone, but he simply is not going to be very productive going forward. Sure he still has the tools to be factor on the field. Shit, I would take him over 95% of the linebackers in the league still, but he isnt going to get better. the only thing to look forward to is a slow steady decline in production...

I truly dont think this team is built to be anywhere close to a contender until maybe 2yrs down the road. That is provided that the brass makes the right moves. (Unless they find a way to sign 3 top FA lineman, 1 Stud WR, and maybe a Safty). If those positions were filled, I think Orton, Forte, Olsen, Clark, and Hester could chip in enough to be a pretty good offense. As far as the D, its not entirely that bad. I know, I know, it fustrated me as well to watch sometimes. But I still think its more about coaching than actual tallent. Sure there are some holes, but overall think they are good enough to be a force.

So, that said..... This team is not going to sign 2 top FA lineman. They are not going to aquire a FA WR worth a shit. So that leaves us with at least 2 years before this team has a realistic shot at going anywhere in the playoffs/ or make it for that matter. So even if they have a perfect draft and get the guys needed, it will take some time to develop. Like I said, at least 2 years...... The point is, how good do you think urlacher will be in 2-3 years from now? Yes, Boldin will still be putting up great numbers..... So this is a no-brainer...
RumpShaker
Practice Squad

gaba wrote:I'd love to see Briggs in the middle. It would be better in a more traditional system though, where the MLB is actually part of the gameplan.
He also said he wanted to go to a team that would play him there back when he said he wanted to be traded or released.... So you know that is where he "wants" to play...