McClure: Bears concentrating on their own issues

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Bears concentrating on their own issues
It might be double figures or nothing for a win total that will result in playoffs

By Vaughn McClure | Tribune reporter
December 13, 2008

Lovie Smith almost got ahead of himself.

The Bears' coach pondered whether 10 victories would be enough to slide his 8-6 team into the playoffs.

"We have to think that," Smith said Friday. "Most teams that get 10 get into the playoffs. That's the best we can do. So we're hoping that's the case."

Smith immediately caught himself.

"Right now … 10 is a little bit further down the list," he said. "Nine is what we're really looking forward to."

In the big picture, the Bears have to think beyond their Dec. 22 showdown with division rival Green Bay, a team Smith said "embarrassed" the Bears in November in a 37-3 trouncing at Lambeau Field.

Beating the Packers won't mean much if the Bears don't follow up with a season-ending victory in Houston. And beating the Packers and Texans becomes meaningless if the division-leading Vikings (8-5) don't stumble.

"I know the Vikings have to lose two games for us even to have a chance," linebacker Brian Urlacher said. "Ten wins might not get you in this year. But we have to get to 10 first."

You can the bet the Bears will keep a close eye on Sunday's Vikings-Cardinals game.

Smith certainly will.

"Definitely so, just about every play," he said. "I'm a football fan in general, so I'm looking forward to watching as many games as I can. We'll watch the Packers game also."

The Vikings' situation carries more intrigue. Their last three games are against the Cardinals, Falcons and Giants, who have a combined 27-12 record.

But the Vikings' playoff hopes got a boost when a federal judge extended an injunction against the suspensions of tackles Kevin and Pat Williams. The NFL had given both four-game sentences for violating the league's anti-doping policy.

With the "Williams Wall" intact, Minnesota has a better chance of slowing down Falcons running back Michael Turner and the Giants' potent rushing attack.

Smith doesn't believe it affects the Bears.

"We say we still control our own destiny," he said. "And we're just trying to get a win each week. That's occupying all our time."

The Bears indeed have enough concerns of their own. Thursday night's 27-24 overtime victory over the Saints was far from flawless. The offense sputtered for the most part until the final two drives of the game. It helped that Devin Hester drew two pass interference penalties totaling 77 yards. But there were no excuses for a fumbled exchanged between Olin Kreutz and Kyle Orton or a bobble by Rashied Davis that led to an interception.

Defensively, Adewale Ogunleye intercepted a Drew Brees pass with the Saints first-and-goal at the 9-yard line, and Nick Roach stopped Pierre Thomas on a fourth-and-1 in the fourth quarter. But the Bears can't allow running backs to break into the clear, as they did on Thomas' 42-yard touchdown run in the third quarter.

Packers running back Ryan Grant and Texans rookie Steve Slaton will run wild with that type of space.

"We haven't been satisfied with how we've played all year, but we've done good things throughout the year," Smith said when asked about the defense, specifically the line.

"It seems like lately, there's definitely a sense of urgency. When you get late into December like this and you're playing for a playoff spot, each player needs to play his best ball. Our defense has been doing that, especially up front. Our defensive line is the engine of our defense."

Now the Bears have to find a way to engineer their way into the playoffs.

vxmcclure@tribune
UOK
Site Admin

A lot of people seem to fear the Texans more than the Packers. I believe it's the opposite. I think Rodgers, Grant and the Pack o-line is a lot better than Schaub, Slaton, and the Texans meh o-line. But either way, the Bears can't lose. Lose, and it's over.
G08
Hall of Famer

Texans looked solid today IMO.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

We're going to have a very difficult time beating Houston. They'll be looking to piss on our parade if we win against Green Bay
G08
Hall of Famer

That and the Vikings need to slow down. I didn't think they'd bitchslap Arizona was Tarvaris freakin' Jackson at QB. Yeesh.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"