For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Halas85
Assistant Coach

I can't say I'm surprised.

-----------------------------------------
Veteran linebacker Briggs voted to fourth straight Pro Bowl

By: Larry Mayer | Last Updated: 12/16/2008 4:14 PM

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Linebacker Lance Briggs on Tuesday was the only Bears player selected to the Pro Bowl.

The six-year veteran leads the team with 122 tackles this season. Briggs also has added a career-high three interceptions, six tackles-for-losses, a team-high two fumble recoveries—one of which he returned 21 yards for a touchdown against the Colts—one forced fumble, six pass breakups and a half sack.

Veteran linebacker Lance Briggs leads the Bears with 122 tackles this season.
Briggs has now been selected to four straight Pro Bowls. Among current teammates, only Brian Urlacher and Olin Kreutz—with six appearances apiece—have been voted to more.

“I am ecstatic about it,” Briggs said. “I am extremely excited. It’s always nice to get voted to the Pro Bowl.”

Briggs’ three interceptions are tied for the most in the NFL this season among linebackers and his five takeaways are tied for second most in the league at his position. The 2003 third-round pick is one of three linebackers in the NFL with multiple interceptions and fumble recoveries.

Briggs revealed that he thinks about winning the NFL defensive player of the year award, but knows that he must do more.

“It means more interceptions, more sacks, being involved in more than half a sack, causing fumbles, making plays; things like that," he said. "It’s crucial if you want to be considered the defensive player of the year. You have to do more to show up.”

Briggs is the 22nd Bears player to be voted to four Pro Bowls and the 17th to be selected four years in a row. He is also the seventh Chicago linebacker to be voted to at least four Pro Bowls (Hall of Famer’s George Connor, Bill George, Dick Butkus and Mike Singletary along with Joe Fortunato and Urlacher).

The last time the Bears had only one Pro Bowl player was following the 2004 season when Kreutz represented a team that finished in last place in the NFC North with a 5-11 record in Lovie Smith’s first year as coach.

“You never want to go there by yourself or be the lone representation of your organization,” Briggs said. “But that is just the way it goes sometimes.”

The Bears sent six players in 2005 (Briggs, Kreutz, Urlacher, Mike Brown, Tommie Harris and Nate Vasher), eight in 2006 when they advanced to the Super Bowl (Briggs, Kreutz, Urlacher, Harris, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Robbie Gould, Devin Hester and Ruben Brown), and four last season (Briggs, Harris, Ayanbadejo and Hester).

This year, Harris was voted a first alternate, Kreutz, punter Brad Maynard and tight end Greg Olsen were chosen as second alternates, and Hester and Urlacher were picked as third alternates.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
wab
Mod

He's the only one that really deserves it.
G08
Hall of Famer

He's been the best defender on our team, easily. Dude's really won me over after all the BS we went through with him.

I can't believe Urlacher is on pace for 97 tackles :puke:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:He's been the best defender on our team, easily. Dude's really won me over after all the BS we went through with him.

I can't believe Urlacher is on pace for 97 tackles :puke:

Yeah...no kidding. I think it's time for us to let go of the sentamentality and come to grips with the fact that he's not only not what he used to be, but he's just not very good...at least this year.

It REALLY wouldn't surprise me if he hung em up this year...
Pagan
MVP

Agreed guys- no one else on this team deserves to go to the pro-bowl.

As far as Url' goes, I just hope that his playing "performance" is due to being banged up still and comes back next year looking like he has before last year.

pagan
gaba
Head Coach

I know he's not an MLB so it's not really the same but... how come nobody compares Briggs to the great LBs in Bears history. He's pretty clearly out best player. I just wonder how HE compares to the great Bears of the past.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:I know he's not an MLB

once Urlacher is traded to Arizona for Boldin he will be, as he was in college
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin