LeGere: Bears need receivers to catch on

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Bears need receivers to catch on

By Bob LeGere | Daily Herald Columnist
Published: 12/19/2008 12:04 AM

Revenge alone probably won't be enough for the Bears to reverse the outcome of their 37-3 loss to the Packers five weeks ago in Green Bay.

But considering that their victory over the Bears is the only one the Packers have in the last seven games, they're beatable.

Of those last 6 losses, however, 5 have been by 4 points or fewer, so it's not like the 5-9 Packers haven't been competitive despite their poor record.

The Bears know they'll have to play better in a lot of areas to pay back the Pack and keep their slim playoff hopes alive - if those hopes survive Sunday's games.

If the Bears are looking for improvement, a great place to start would be at wide receiver, where production has decreased drastically since the game in Green Bay.

Bears quarterback Kyle Orton said the Packers are playing the same way they did back on Nov. 16 at Lambeau Field. So it's up to the Bears to change the way they performed in the first meeting.

"(We) just have to step up and make plays," Orton said. "They're going to be in your face. They're going to be physical. They're going to pull you and grab you, and that's fine. You can say whatever you want to say.

"But in the end you've just got to come out and make plays, so that's what our focus has been on."

Packers defensive backs Al Harris, Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams challenged the Bears' wide receivers in that first game by pressing them at the line of scrimmage, and that battle clearly was won by Green Bay.

Bears wide receivers combined for a total of just 4 catches and 60 yards in Green Bay and, with the exception of Devin Hester, none of them have done much since.

As a group, they're getting tired of hearing that they can't beat press coverage, but they're going to keep hearing the same criticism until they disprove it.

Recent numbers provide a strong indictment of the group.

Mary Booker, who has been slowed by knee and rib injuries, has 3 receptions for 28 yards in the past seven games, three of which he was unable to play in.

Brandon Lloyd has 6 catches for 65 yards in his last five games since returning from a sprained knee.

Rashied Davis, who has a total of 6 catches for 92 yards in the past six games, really didn't want to discuss the Packers' secondary, especially when asked about their physical play.

"It's football," Davis said. "Everybody's physical."

Sore subject?

"Let's move forward," Davis said. "Next question, please."

Davis was asked to rate the Packers' cornerbacks, Al Harris and Tramon Williams.

"Good," he said. "Next question."

Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner said Monday night's game presents the Bears' wide receivers with an ideal forum to quiet talk of their inability to handle press coverage.

"There's no better opportunity than this week to prove that wrong," Turner said. "Because they're going to be up there jamming them 99 percent of the time, if not 100.

"So they'll have a great opportunity to do something about it, if it is bothering them, which it is. They know the challenge that's out there for them, and hopefully they're looking forward to it."

The Packers' defensive backs certainly are.
Xee
Site Admin

Rashied Davis, who has a total of 6 catches for 92 yards in the past six games, really didn't want to discuss the Packers' secondary, especially when asked about their physical play.

"It's football," Davis said. "Everybody's physical."

Sore subject?

"Let's move forward," Davis said. "Next question, please."

Davis was asked to rate the Packers' cornerbacks, Al Harris and Tramon Williams.

"Good," he said. "Next question."
I think someone knows they're going to be looking for work after this season.
G08
Hall of Famer

We resigned him to roughly a million a year. Not huge money but is that something you can see JA just cutting? I'm not so sure I can.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I would think Angie could. It isn't gonna break the team and we need more production out of him no matter what his position (#3-#5 WR). He doesn't do anything else, so he is chum in my book.
UOK
Site Admin

A million a year really isn't that much. I imagine he'll be let go if not in the offseason during training camp.
Fumblebuck
MVP

We resigned him to roughly a million a year. Not huge money but is that something you can see JA just cutting? I'm not so sure I can.
I agree with you G08, he's not going anywhere. Besides the light contract his speed (although probably NFL average at best) is desperately needed in our WR corp.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'll bet that Hester, Lloyd, Bennett, and Davis will be on our roster next season, unless we have some plan of signing a FA better than Lloyd. I don't see Davis going anywhere, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong.

My hopes?

FA - #1
Hester - #2
Bennett - #3
Lloyd/FA - #4
Rookie - #5
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Pagan
MVP

Whats Lloyds contract #'s? When is he signed till? It seems to me that he's been in the coaches dog house, I think he needs a strong finish to stick around.

pagan