Bears destroyed by 49ers, 32-7

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote: Urlacher is one of the best to ever play the game,hands down, but to say you would take him over willis today is just homer talk.

Yup.....and I thought I eluded to that in my post.

Sorry....a team that is averaging 16 points a game and 200 passing yards over their last 4 contests doesn't exactly strike fear in my heart.

This game is there for our offense to 'loose' we don't need them to 'win' it.

Obviously if our D doesn't show up, all bets are off. But I think we match up well against this particular opponent. (especially since they seem to have forgotten who Vernon Davis is)
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Jason Campbell is no Jay Cutler, but he's better than Caleb Hanie, or Todd Collins, who replaced Cutler the last time he was concussed.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

RING4CHI wrote:Jason Campbell is no Jay Cutler, but he's better than Caleb Hanie, or Todd Collins, who replaced Cutler the last time he was concussed.
Let's be honest....we're talking about replacing the guy running the leagues second worst passing attack and is responsible for more turnovers then TDs. It can't really be that big of a deal.

Yes...I totally understand that many of those things are not Jay's fault and I'm not bashing him.

But the fact is that if the offense wasn't gaining yards and turning the ball over.....how much worse can it 'really' get?
wab
Mod

DaDitka wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:Jason Campbell is no Jay Cutler, but he's better than Caleb Hanie, or Todd Collins, who replaced Cutler the last time he was concussed.
Let's be honest....we're talking about replacing the guy running the leagues second worst passing attack and is responsible for more turnovers then TDs. It can't really be that big of a deal.

Yes...I totally understand that many of those things are not Jay's fault and I'm not bashing him.

But the fact is that if the offense wasn't gaining yards and turning the ball over.....how much worse can it 'really' get?
Yet you always point to Jay in these posts and never really offer up the "other things" that contribute to the problem 8-)
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
DaDitka wrote: Let's be honest....we're talking about replacing the guy running the leagues second worst passing attack and is responsible for more turnovers then TDs. It can't really be that big of a deal.

Yet you always point to Jay in these posts and never really offer up the "other things" that contribute to the problem 8-)
Exactly. Jay has been playing mostly crappy this year. This isn't Erin Rodgers or Petunia Manning we're replacing here.

I'll go as far as to say that Kyle Ortman would be 9-0 as the QB of this year's team. :evilgrin:
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dadoc
MVP

IE wrote:
wab wrote:
I can't believe we are Facebook friends :frustrated:
IE
Hall of Famer

dadoc wrote:
IE wrote:
I can't believe we are Facebook friends :frustrated:
Just stirrin' it up! :rofl:
Funkster
MVP

Well Alex smith isn't playing, this changes a lot. Kaepernick is very mobile and will run first and pass later. We usually handle mobile qb's very well. I think with Kaepernick at qb, that makes Gore's ground assault easier to stop. we may have a better chance than I first thought.

I am changing my prediction. Bears 17 Niners 13

I still want to see a heavy dose of Bush, wow, I can't remember myself ever saying those words together :o
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
IE
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:I still want to see a heavy dose of Bush.
Don't we all. We really need to pound Bush all night ... get Bush all lathered up, and keep pounding.

By cracky.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
DaDitka wrote: Let's be honest....we're talking about replacing the guy running the leagues second worst passing attack and is responsible for more turnovers then TDs. It can't really be that big of a deal.

Because those other things will be the same with Jay out Jason under center so they are not relevant to this argument. Jason can not produce much less since Jay wasn't producing himself. I'm speaking to the impact the QB has, not their abilities. No matter what is wrong that is holding them back.those factors will be the same no matter who is under center.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

DD the footballoutsiders back your point with their DVOA stat. Cutler is ranked 32, which makes him better than only Gabbert and Cassell when you consider the strength of defenses he faced. I love Jay but he hasn't been executing for a variety of reasons, and the QB is not why we're 7-2. Let's be real about that.

Anyway... with both backups playing, the coaches will want to rely on the run... but we're talking about the #1 and #3 rushing defenses in the NFL so that's not gonna work. That means the teams have to score some other way:

Passing after unsuccessful run on first down: Of the two QBs I have more trust in Campbell. He will protect the ball and give our guys a chance to make a play after the catch. Marshall and Hester are very scary in this capacity.

Defense scoring: Adv to us because we scheme for it, believe in it, and we're facing an inexp QB
Special Teams big play: Adv to us. I know Hester hasn't done it yet, but he's still capable of scoring or creating a short field.

As a result I'm sticking with my original prediction 17-10 Bears. Both teams manage only one good drive, one score on a short field, and we find another TD somewhere else. Big play, pick 6, Hester You Are Ridiculous, etc.
xyt in the discord chats
jnastorer
Player of the Month

Otis Day wrote:An offensive suckfest for both teams, especially if both #2s are playing. Don't have much faith in the Bear O against this SF D not matter who is taking snaps. And Kapernick, yea, like he has a chance.

Bears - 6
SF - 3
I actually agree with this, except that I believe we get 2 TD's via the D and/or STs and I think that offensively, it will be 6-3 SF, so final score BEARS 17- SF 6.
Ormazd
MVP

The defense will keep us in the game, just lie they did last week. If the offense can get out of their own way long enough to make just a couple drives, Bears will win.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Ormazd wrote:The defense will keep us in the game, just lie they did last week. If the offense can get out of their own way long enough to make just a couple drives, Bears will win.

looking at how Chad Henne and that juggernaut Jacksonville team ripped apart the Texans defense yesterday makes the Bears failed offense against those same Texans look even worse
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Ormazd wrote:The defense will keep us in the game, just lie they did last week. If the offense can get out of their own way long enough to make just a couple drives, Bears will win.

looking at how Chad Henne and that juggernaut Jacksonville team ripped apart the Texans defense yesterday makes the Bears failed offense against those same Texans look even worse
I don't think the Texans taking an emotional week off against the worst team in the league translates into anything about the Bears.
MoFugger
Head Coach

IE wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
I don't think the Texans taking an emotional week off against the worst team in the league translates into anything about the Bears.
I think it does, being that 3 out of the last 4 games the offense couldn't score over 14 points.
But it's a good news bad news thing. The good news is we held Shaub to under 100 yards passing and yesterday he had over 500 and 5 TDs,
So we are in any game if we don't turn the ball over. I just hope we aren't playing from behind late because that will be ugly.
IE
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:
IE wrote: I don't think the Texans taking an emotional week off against the worst team in the league translates into anything about the Bears.
I think it does, being that 3 out of the last 4 games the offense couldn't score over 14 points.
But it's a good news bad news thing. The good news is we held Shaub to under 100 yards passing and yesterday he had over 500 and 5 TDs,
So we are in any game if we don't turn the ball over. I just hope we aren't playing from behind late because that will be ugly.
I'm not saying the Bear offense doens't need a lot of improvement - but there have been a lot of points left on the field ... meaning I don't think it as bad as it has looked on paper.
Funkster
MVP

Ormazd wrote:The defense will keep us in the game, just lie they did last week.

Everyone keeps relying on our defense,what happens when they have a bad day? We are gonna loose. I am tired of relying on the defense to win every game. They have been doing their job since 06'. Someone on the offense without the last name Marshall needs to step up and make plays. If our offense could play half as good as the defense this team would be unstoppable.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

IE wrote:
MoFugger wrote: I think it does, being that 3 out of the last 4 games the offense couldn't score over 14 points.
I'm not saying the Bear offense doens't need a lot of improvement - but there have been a lot of points left on the field ... meaning I don't think it as bad as it has looked on paper.
Agreed...I actually probably felt the best I had all year. They protected Jay, Tice called a nice game, the secondary receivers even got open....we had a bunch of drops and fumbles in a monsoon.

Our offense is horrible and easily one of the worst units in all of the NFL......but I actually thought the Texans game was one of our 'better' displays (damn that's sad)
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
Ormazd wrote: If our offense could play half as good as the defense this team would be unstoppable.
No doubt....but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to get it together.
Xee
Site Admin

Hour and a half to go. Can't wait.
IE
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote:Hour and a half to go. Can't wait.
Me too! :jump:
G08
Hall of Famer

If we don't run the ball AT LEAST 38 times, there should be an investigation.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:If we don't run the ball AT LEAST 38 times, there should be an investigation.
I hope 27 of those go to BUSH!

30 min to kickoff!
Bears_40
Player of the Month

Otis Day wrote:We talk about better OL, WRs that are marginal, but no mention of Cutler making our WRs better. I know it is a chicken and egg conversation, but qbs can make their WRs better. Most qbs can do it but I haven't seen that out of Cutler. Look at Cobb in GB. He was seen as a returner. He is getting a chance this year and the kid is producing. His #s are up there with Nelson's (probably due to him missing a couple of games). All those GB WRs produce and they are not all world.

I think and hope with a better OL this may soon happen. Cutler will have more time and he can get others the ball. the catch will have to be made of course. We can just quit chucking it to Davis.
Jay can't catch his own throws....

I stand alone.