NEWS: Kyle Orton: 'I'm hoping I don't miss any time'

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

By Vaughn McClure

Kyle Orton walked into the interview room at Halas Hall on Wednesday with a black brace supporting his right ankle. But the Bears quarterback remains optimistic about his status.

"I'm certainly not ruling out anything," Orton said when asked if he could play soon. "Just going week to week."

Orton said he has an ankle sprain. A source said Orton was told he'd be out three to four weeks but the quarterback isn't putting a timetable on his return.

He injured the ankle in a 27-23 win over Detroit during to scramble.

Asked what he immediately thought after the injury, Orton said, "Ouch."

He said he's never had an injury like this in his career.

"I feel like I got lucky," Orton said. "I'm hoping I don't miss any time."

Orton said he won't practice today.

Rex Grossman, who replaced Orton on Sunday, will be available in the locker room later Wednesday.

Grossman began last season as the starter but was benched during Game 3. He returned to start four games before a knee injury essentially ended his season
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

I wonder if this is the same interview I heard. The only difference I notice is that he (Kyle) said day to day not week to week and he referenced this week’s game.
Halas85
Assistant Coach

I really doubt Kyle's going to play this week. It's difficult for an NFL QB who hasn't practiced with the team all week to step into the game plan on Sunday.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
G08
Hall of Famer

Unless you're Jim Miller
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Thatguybil
Practice Squad

Halas85 wrote:I really doubt Kyle's going to play this week. It's difficult for an NFL QB who hasn't practiced with the team all week to step into the game plan on Sunday.
QB do this all the time in the NFL. Big Ben will do it this week. #4 was/is known to do it all the time.
Halas85
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:Unless you're Jim Miller
Good point.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
Sisyphus
Practice Squad

If this is a real high ankle sprain he should not play this week, he can make it worse and Tennessee just isn't that important of a game when you compare it to say Green Bay in terms of playoff importance.