2017 Cubs/Sox regular season discussion

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Cubs lost opener to the Cardinals. White Sox start this afternoon. Baseball is back.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'll be interested to see if the rebuilding White Sox show some rays of hope ... I'm thinking if they win 60 games it will be an effort

the 2 main guys they traded away (Chris Sale and Adam Eaton) have started out well for their new teams
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Sticky situation costs Cardinals

Near the end of a season-opening series that turned almost every time a fielder lost his grip, the Cardinals invited a Cubs’ rally when they couldn’t shake a sticky baseball loose.

Holding fast to a two-run lead in the seventh inning Thursday afternoon, Cardinals reliever Brett Cecil got pinch-hitter Matt Szczur swinging at a curveball in the dirt for strike 3.

Catcher Yadier Molina looked to his feet to find the ball and make the routine throw to first for the first out. The ball wasn’t there, wasn’t anywhere around the plate. Molina didn’t see it at all — until he found it clinging curiously, as if by Velcro, to his chest protector.

In adherence with the rules, Szczur struck out but took first on the wild pitch. The Cubs took over.

Two batters and one walk later, Kyle Schwarber creamed a pitch from Cecil for a three-run homer that drove the Cubs’ to a 6-4 victory and a series win. As the reigning World Series champions finally made their escape after a six-day stay in St. Louis, the questions were as much about the ball that stuck as the 3-0 lead the Cardinals let slip.

“Never seen anything like that,” Molina said. “After that strikeout, after that play, it changed everything. Good swing by Kyle. If we get that first out, everything changes.”

weird and funny with the ball sticking ... did they check the pitcher for maybe using something on the ball? or does Molina have a velcro protector?
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

See how defensive he got about when asked about a foreign substance causing this?

Cheater.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Two words: PINE TAR
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

one observation I have of the current Cubs team - they seem like legitimately good people ... hell, even a bit humble even after all they have achieved

Rizzo seems to lead this new image Cubs brigade ... kind of refreshing

Cubs' Anthony Rizzo gives himself a night to remember
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

That ceremony last night was great, even if it was delayed by a couple hours and cold as hell. Great way to end it, too. Other thing is? You're right - these Cubs are built around not only quality young talent, but by all accounts decent, and grateful players who are embracing their roles and doing it all with a smile.
Road
Pro Bowler

I think the Cubs should just give me Chapman's ring and UOK can have Fowler's. They're no longer Cubs and I don't think Chapman ever wanted to be a Cub. With their money they can buy whatever they want.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

MLB investigating domestic violence accusation involving Cubs’ Addison Russell
Major League Baseball is investigating an allegation of domestic violence involving Cubs shortstop Addison Russell, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

In a series of Instagram posts on Wednesday night, Russell’s wife, Melisa, hinted that the couple was breaking up. In a comment on one of those posts, a woman identified as a friend of Melisa wrote that Russell “mentally & physically” abused her and “hit her.” The posts have since been deleted.

When contacted by the Sun-Times, a Cubs official said the team is looking into the situation.

not siding one way or the other until more details emerge, but I do think it is a pretty terrible "life in a fishbowl" aspect of being a celebrity or pro athlete when a tweet or text or instagram from a friend of an alleged victim is all that is required to elicit thoughts of investigations

all his wife posted was that they might be breaking up ... that happens a lot, to many people, and wouldn't be any basis for any sort of investigation ... but then the friend chimes in

this situation will be worth following just to see what the actual facts are
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cubs treating Addison Russell matter with diligence and caution
Carl Edwards Jr. said teammate Addison Russell was in "high spirits" during a chat Thursday.

But he and Russell, the Cubs' struggling shortstop, didn't discuss domestic abuse allegations a third party made through social media off an Instagram post from his wife that has precipitated a Major League Baseball investigation.

"Any allegation I have abused my wife is false and hurtful," Russell said in a statement released through the Cubs. "For the well-being of my family, I'll have no further comment."

Cubs players were informed of Russell's situation in a meeting with President Theo Epstein and manager Joe Maddon. Now they face the prospect of trying to keep their focus on securing their second consecutive National League Central title without their embattled shortstop.

Epstein and Maddon said they spoke Wednesday night with Russell, the starting shortstop for the NL in the 2016 All-Star Game, after Epstein learned of the allegations. Epstein also spoke with Melisa Russell, Addison's wife, before alerting MLB of the matter, per MLB policy. He told Russell to stay away from Wrigley Field on Thursday to devote his time to addressing the matter.

Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told the Associated Press the department "does not have any current investigation" into Russell or allegations of domestic violence.

Russell isn't suspended or being disciplined, but the Cubs could place him on an inactive list if he needs time to address the matter and meets certain criteria.
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Addison Russell's wife files for divorce, won't talk to MLB about investigation
Addison Russell's wife has filed for divorce and will not meet with Major League Baseball to discuss the investigation into domestic abuse claims against the Chicago Cubs shortstop.

Beermann Pritikin Mirabelli Swerdlove LLP, the law firm representing Melisa Russell, announced the divorce proceedings in a statement released Wednesday.

MLB began its investigation earlier this month after Melisa Russell, in a post on Instagram, accused her husband of cheating and implied that the couple was breaking up. A comment related to the post from someone she identified as a close friend accused the player of physically abusing his wife.

Melisa Russell has not publicly commented on the abuse allegation.

"It is her desire to pursue a resolution that is, first and foremost, in the best interest of the parties' son, and which occurs in a swift, amicable and private fashion," the firm's statement said.

Addison Russell has denied abusing his wife, saying in a statement two weeks ago that "any allegation I have abused my wife is false and hurtful."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cubs' demotion of Kyle Schwarber to minors reinforces the cruel realities of baseball
In the latest example of "Baseball is a very hard sport even for those who are very good at it," the Cubs announced on Thursday that they were sending World Series hero Kyle Schwarber down to Triple A due to a terminal case of him being terrible this season.

By the numbers, this is an easy and obvious move. The burly leftfielder was hitting a putrid .171/.295/.378 in 261 plate appearances (albeit with 12 homers), his -0.6 WAR is seventh-worst among players with 200 or more PAs, and his defense in the outfield falls somewhere between "unacceptable" and "avert your eyes." The 24-year-old has hit just .147 in 40 games since the start of May, and while that might be tolerable on a team that's firing on all cylinders, it's harder to hide with a Cubs squad that is only a game above .500 and 1 1/2 games out of first place in the National League Central.

But while the demotion is understandable, Schwarber's struggles are unexpected. Before the season, the prevailing thought was that Schwarber—who missed nearly the entire 2016 regular season with a torn ACL but came back in time to play in the World Series—would be a key piece of the Cubs' title defense, just as he was expected to be a big part of of their run to a championship last season before his knee injury. After all, he hit .246/.355/.487 with 16 home runs in 69 games after being called up in late 2015 and crushed some mighty homers in the playoffs, and he showed no rust in his Fall Classic cameo, reaching base 10 times in 20 plate appearances.

Instead, Schwarber was so awful as Chicago's regular leadoff hitter that manager Joe Maddon was forced to boot him from that spot last month, mixing and matching with a variety of players before settling on Anthony Rizzo, who's been stellar in that role. Schwarber, meanwhile, moved all over the lineup as Maddon sought to get him going; at one point in late May, he settled on starting Schwarber only against righthanders. But while Schwarber has had his moments this year—see his grand slam against the Cardinals in early June or this titanic home run against the Mets a week ago—he hasn't been able to break out of his slump for any extended stretch.
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Need to get me some I-Cub tickets.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

It's for the best, really. He's still an incomplete player and this season is exposing him badly.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I couldn't believe all the people licking his jock after the World Series. People calling him Babe Ruth and shit. What he did in the WS was kind of impressive, but damn, there was not a lot of good tape on the guy. I thought they should have unloaded him prior to the season. Rumors were people were ready to ante up for him.

He is really a guy best fit to DH. He can't play the field and Contreras is a better catcher and Rizzo is at first. I hope that guy can find his stroke for his sake and Cub fans sake, but I don't see him being the Babe Ruth Cub fans make him out to be.

Heard Theo over the lunch hour. He said they just want him to concentrate on hitting, not being a power hitter.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Montero says Cubs releasing him after he blasted Arrieta
WASHINGTON (AP) Catcher Miguel Montero says the Chicago Cubs are letting him go, one day after he blamed pitcher Jake Arrieta for allowing seven stolen bases in a game.

Montero posted a series of tweets Wednesday saying goodbye to fans and the city of Chicago and said on WMVP-AM radio that the Cubs had called to tell him they were designating him for assignment. The team had not announced any moves by early afternoon.

”When the team is not playing well, it’s got to go somewhere and I hope I can be the blame and I hope the team will take off from now and I can be a blame for that,” Montero said.

Montero said he called Arrieta to apologize and that the right-hander was ”totally cool” about the situation, understanding that the comments were made in the heat of the moment after the Cubs’ 6-1 loss to the Washington Nationals on Tuesday night.

”It was an honor to play for the Chicago Cubs organization,” the 33-year-old tweeted . ”Chicago will always be in my heart.”

Montero will be remembered for a huge hit late in Game 7 of the World Series that ended the Cubs’ famous championship drought last fall. But tensions had been simmering since spring training over his role, and he has thrown out just one of 31 potential base stealers this season, hitting .286 with four home runs and eight RBIs in 44 games.

Still, the meltdown Tuesday night was unusually strong: Montero unloaded on Arrieta, saying the Nationals were running all over the right-handed ace who’s struggled of late because they knew he was slow to the plate with his delivery.

Trea Turner stole four bases, Michael Taylor two and Anthony Rendon one for a Montreal Expos/Nationals franchise record. Montero had a throwing error that led to a run scoring.

”It really sucked because the stolen bases go to me, and when you really look at it, the pitcher doesn’t give me any time,” Montero said. ”So it’s just like, `Yeah, OK, Miggy can’t throw nobody out,’ but my pitcher doesn’t hold anybody on.”

First baseman Anthony Rizzo said on WMVP that Montero’s comments were unprofessional and not acceptable.

”We win as a team, we lose as a team,” Rizzo said. ”If you start pointing fingers, I think that just labels you as a selfish player. I disagree. I think we have another catcher that throws out anyone who steals.”
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I kind of liked him calling out Arrieta. Even though Montero is not known for throwing runners out, Arrieta looked slow as hell last night going to the plate. It is not a 100% on the catchers when guys steal. It is a combo of pitcher's motion, delivery speed to the plate and then the catcher's quickness and footwork.

I don't think I have ever heard a pitcher take blame for stolen bases.

Cub meltdown. They are resembling many Chitown teams who have experienced success one year and not living up to expectations the next. See Chicago Bears, late 80s.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cubs acquire Jose Quintana from White Sox for top prospects
CHICAGO -- The Cubs and White Sox pulled off a blockbuster deal with the White Sox sending lefty Jose Quintana to their crosstown rivals for Cubs top hitting prospect Eloy Jimenez as well as top pitching prospect Dylan Cease.

The Cubs are also sending Single-A infielders Matt Rose and Bryant Flete to the White Sox to complete the deal.

Jimenez, a 20-year-old outfielder, is the No. 5 prospect in baseball, according to ESPN's Keith Law.

Quintana, 28, is 4-8 with a 4.49 ERA this season after going 13-12 with a 3.20 ERA last year. He has a career 3.51 ERA and fills an immediate and long-term need for the Cubs as they're short on starting pitching. They rank eighth in the National League in starter's ERA plus employ pending free agents John Lackey and Jake Arrieta.

While the Cubs needed starting pitching, they did not want a rental. Quintana is under contract through 2020, earning $8.85 million, $10.5 million and $11.5 million in 2018-20.
hopefully this benefits both teams ... Quintana is immediately going to help the Cubbies ... let's hope the youngsters the Sox acquired will help them in the near future

as a sidenote, buzz here on the east coast is the Nationals are ready to swing a deal for White Sox closer David Robertson ... the Nationals have some solid prospects to ship to Chicago
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Yankees cash in for postseason run as White Sox accrue more top prospects in trade
The Yankees are going all in. On Tuesday night, New York made a big move to try to bolster its hopes for an AL East title and World Series berth, picking up third baseman Todd Frazier and relievers David Robertson and Tommy Kahnle from the White Sox for reliever Tyler Clippard and a trio of prospects, led by former first-round pick Blake Rutherford. It’s an aggressive acquisition by Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, though the Bronx Bombers still have work to do if they want to stay in contention.

The best non-Astros team in the American League as recently as the beginning of June, the Yankees have gone just 18–24 since then, falling out of first place in the division. A large part of that slump had to do with the bullpen, which going into Tuesday’s action had posted a 4.02 ERA since June 1. Clippard was absolutely abysmal over that stretch, with 16 runs and five homers allowed in 14 1/3 innings, so getting rid of him is essentially addition by subtraction. But setup man Dellin Betances (17 walks, 6.23 ERA in 13 innings since June 1) and closer Aroldis Chapman (six runs allowed and two blown saves in 10 innings since coming off the disabled list on June 18) have been shaky, making late-game situations a dicey proposal for manager Joe Girardi.

With Robertson and Kahnle in the fold, getting through those final innings should be far easier.
White Sox the big sellers, and with any luck, will see all of these prospects bear fruit within the next 2-3 years as their rebuild becomes a success

that is my hope anyway
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

White Sox 2B Yoan Moncada carted off after outfield collision with Willy Garcia
White Sox second baseman Yoan Moncada and right fielder Willy Garcia were both removed from Monday night's 7-6 victory over the Blue Jays after they collided in the outfield in the sixth inning.

The two players were chasing a bases-loaded bloop hit to right by Toronto's Darwin Barney when Moncada's knee hit the side of Garcia's head.

Both players stayed down on the ground for a while before Garcia was helped to his feet and Moncada was taken off the field on a cart. Two runs scored on the play to give the Blue Jays a 6-0 lead.

"I got knocked out right away,'' Garcia said through an interpreter while standing in front of his locker in the clubhouse. "I didn't remember what happened until the doctor started asking me questions here, and then I saw the video.''

Moncada, who is widely regarded as one of baseball's top prospects, put no pressure on his right leg while he was helped to a cart by first baseman Jose Abreu. The Cuban slugger patted his countryman on the back of his head before he was zipped away.

The team announced that Moncada is day-to-day with a right knee contusion and all X-rays conducted were negative. Garcia has a head contusion and will be evaluated again Tuesday morning.

"They're both doing well,'' manager Rick Renteria said. "As we get the evaluations, we'll know exactly where we might sit.''
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

That collision was BRUTAL.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Steve Bartman receives 2016 Chicago Cubs World Series Championship ring
CHICAGO -- A WGN News exclusive -- Steve Bartman has received an official Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Championship ring as a special gift from the Ricketts family and the Cubs organization.

Arguably the team's most infamous fan, Bartman is remembered for tipping a foul ball that left fielder Moises Alou unsuccessfully tried to catch in Game 6 of the 2003 National League Championship Series.

Now, 14 years later, Cubs owner Tom Ricketts thought it was high time to extend an olive branch.

Bartman received the ring before noon Monday in Ricketts' office. Cubs President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein and President of Operations Crane Kenney were also present. Ricketts then showed Bartman around Wrigley a bit, so he could see what was new since he'd last been to the park. The Cubs released a single photo of Bartman's ring:

George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I found it hilarious that most were worried about Moncada after that collision. The RF took a knee to the head!! It looked like the RF almost had his neck broken. But, since Moncada is the future, who gives a shit about the RF.

Also, cool move by the Cub brass to give Bartman a ring. I thought the outrage was and is ridiculous. Cubbies had plenty of time to turn that game around and they didn't. A Gon had a big error and few talked about that. Thought it funny as well that no one talked about the guy in the gray sweatshirt also going for the ball. he was to Barman's right.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

there's no doubt Bartman got unnecessarily abused ... as you pointed out, he wasn't the only one reaching for that ball ... yet for some reason Fox Sports focused on him as the evil entity as they replayed it and kept showing him

Alou was a whiner for making such a deal about it, and on the replay, I don't think he would have caught it even if the fans had scattered and gave him a clean shot ... the rest of the team (ya know, those guys on the field actually giving up those 8 runs) was not properly chastised for not taking care of business ... instead, it was all Bartman's fault, the fan in the stands who did what any of us probably would have done

so this ring was a nice gesture by the Cubs ... but it would have been better if they had publicly handled it better and publicly absolved Bartman completely of blame back when the shit hit the fan for him ... and I don't recall that happening
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

CUBS 5-3 on Bryant HR in top of 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO IT ..GO CUBS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
G08
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:CUBS 5-3 on Bryant HR in top of 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO IT ..GO CUBS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a fucking win!! NO QUIT IN OUR BOYS!!!!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
UOK
Site Admin

That game last night was so damned stressful. Justin Wilson is garbage.
docc
Head Coach

Another 10 inning nail bitter,,

CUBS WIN CUBS WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great play on that ball in dirt..and holding that tag for the OUT !!

9-1 last 10..!