MLB All Star game was fun to watch this year

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

MLB All-Star Game 2018 final score: American League prevails in record-breaking slugfest

record setting home run bombs ... lots of strikeouts and impressive pitching (which sounds like a contradiction - how can it be good pitching AND record setting amount of HRs? but it was just that)
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

AS a person that has drifted away from baseball big time, that game was kind of the reason why. Strikeouts or bombs. I liked watching the Cards of yester year (even as a Cub fan). McGee, Coleman, O Smith, slap hitting all around and stealing bases. It seems as if singles hitting and stealing bases has disappeared (except for the guy in Cincy). But then what the hell do I know, I rarely watch. I look at the stats and do not see a lot of stolen bases though.

Last night I watched because my baseball loving father in law was over. If he was not over, I would not have paid attention.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I fully understand your position Waldorf. And you're right about the All Star game being a sign of some issues - bombs or K's. This is the first game in a while where there were really no defensive plays worth remembering, and that is because balls simply weren't being put in play that much.

And though I found the game entertaining, I agree that it is a far cry from the days not that long ago when timely hitting of something other than home runs and defensive plays made the game.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin