Pirates Starling Marte gets 80-game PED related ban

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Pirates OF Starling Marte gets 80-game ban after positive PED test
Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Starling Marte has been suspended 80 games by Major League Baseball after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance, it was announced Tuesday.

Marte tested positive for nandrolone, which violated MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The suspension is effective immediately, and Marte is eligible to return in mid-July.

"I have been informed that I have tested positive in one of the tests that are regularly done in my job," Marte said in a statement released by the Major League Baseball Players Association. "In this very difficult moment, I apologize to my family, the Pittsburgh Pirates, my teammates, my fans, and baseball in general.

"Neglect and lack of knowledge have led me to this mistake with the high price to pay of being away from the field that I enjoy and love so much. With much embarrassment and helplessness, I ask for forgiveness for unintentionally disrespecting so many people who have trusted in my work and have supported me so much. I promise to learn the lesson that this ordeal has left me. God bless you."
so the cynic in me thinks the majority of these guys getting caught were caught because they thought they had a way to beat the system rather than simply not reading the labels on their supplements

not directly accusing Marte of anything, just that he is the latest example of this

doesn't baseball have the list of approved things players can take? the NFL does too ... so taking something not on the list or not bothering to ask before taking seems to me there was intent to circumvent going on
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin