McPhee to IR

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Seeya.
WagonForce
MVP

I noticed him making a play in the pass rush in the last game. Later on in the same game he got injured.

I was not surprised.
Last edited by WagonForce on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

WagonForce wrote:I noticed him making a play on the pass rush in the last game. Later on in the same game he got injured.

I was not surprised.
The first part surprises me.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

bears want him healthy so they can cut him.
wab
Mod

I imagine he will be the first cut in March.
G08
Hall of Famer

Yep, OLB has jumped to the top of our needs in the off-season.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

I think Young and Houston have value...but they aren't full time players. The Bears need a starter opposite Floyd in a really bad way.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think Young and Houston have value...but they aren't full time players. The Bears need a starter opposite Floyd in a really bad way.
Bradley Chub
Clelin Ferrell
Harold Landry

One of those dudes, I would think, should be our first round pick.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think Young and Houston have value...but they aren't full time players. The Bears need a starter opposite Floyd in a really bad way.
Yeah, even though OLB is my easy R1 target, I'd like to see at least one and preferably both of them back.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't hate bringing Trent Murphy in here as well for depth.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
Bradley Chub
Clelin Ferrell
Harold Landry

One of those dudes, I would think, should be our first round pick.
I don't know about Chubb as an OLB. There are some fringe 1st rounders that interest me a lot though.

Austin Bryant, Sam Hubbard, Josh Sweat, Jaylon Ferguson, and Lorenzo Carter are some names to keep an eye on.

There isn't a lot in FA either. Trent Murphy maybe? Devon Kennard? Aaron Lynch if he's healthy and not a problem. DeMarcus Lawrence if Dallas doesn't lock him up long term. Kony Ealy if you think he can play LB?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I still see O weapons as more important. Trubs has got to have talent so he flourish.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think we can go after Terrelle Pryor or Paul Richardson in FA (might have to overpay for the latter) and then draft someone in round 2. That allows Kevin White to be WR4 and if he manages to earn a starting spot, then good for him.

wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote:I still see O weapons as more important. Trubs has got to have talent so he flourish.
There's also value to consider. Is there really going to be a weapon that is worthy of the #6 pick (or thereabouts).

Ridley/Kirk/Sutton probably aren't. Washington isn't. Maybe Nelson if you are done with Massie and think Nelson can play RT...but do you really want to spend a premium pick on a RT?
malk
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:I still see O weapons as more important. Trubs has got to have talent so he flourish.
No reason we can't get both. Plus if we need weapons for Trubisky immediately then that has to come in free agency. Expecting year one contributions from a drafted wideout is not a good idea.

What do people think of Key? Too many character questions to go with the performance drop off...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

malk wrote:
No reason we can't get both. Plus if we need weapons for Trubisky immediately then that has to come in free agency. Expecting year one contributions from a drafted wideout is not a good idea.

What do people think of Key? Too many character questions to go with the performance drop off...
I'd be wary of taking him in the top 10 just due to the off the field stuff.

Character concerns aside, here's a good write up on Key in 2017 and how he was used vs how he looked in 2016.
https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2017/ ... -arden-key" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I think we can go after Terrelle Pryor or Paul Richardson in FA (might have to overpay for the latter) and then draft someone in round 2. That allows Kevin White to be WR4 and if he manages to earn a starting spot, then good for him.

to count on Kevin White to ever be anything more than a prospect on IR is a stretch IMO
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:I think we can go after Terrelle Pryor or Paul Richardson in FA (might have to overpay for the latter) and then draft someone in round 2. That allows Kevin White to be WR4 and if he manages to earn a starting spot, then good for him.

to count on Kevin White to ever be anything more than a prospect on IR is a stretch IMO
I know it, and I've hated the pick since his name was announced, but I think it's fair to view him as a WR4 going into this season and give him a chance to compete. I'd love nothing more than for him to serve me a big, nasty plate of crow as he goes off for 1,400 yards and 12 TDs in 2018.

malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:
malk wrote:

I'd be wary of taking him in the top 10 just due to the off the field stuff.

Character concerns aside, here's a good write up on Key in 2017 and how he was used vs how he looked in 2016.
https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2017/ ... -arden-key" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Read that just before I posted. I'm still intrigued but haven't seen anything on what the character issues are. I guess more on that will come out through the draft season. I'm intrigued though, particularly if he's an option if we drop to around 10 in the draft or trade down.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

I know it, and I've hated the pick since his name was announced, but I think it's fair to view him as a WR4 going into this season and give him a chance to compete. I'd love nothing more than for him to serve me a big, nasty plate of crow as he goes off for 1,400 yards and 12 TDs in 2018.

yeah well, I'm not wishing him ill ... but you are more likely to see an injury report about how a persistent hangnail resulted in multiple fractures in his hands than you are to see the wishing-on-a-star stats from him you just posted
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Death.
Taxes.
McPhee on injured reserve.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
malk
Head Coach

I wonder what team he'll go to for the vet min and put up decent numbers for in spot duty?

I'd still ask him to reduce his compensation down to around $2m and see if he wants to stick around but of course it won't happen.

BR0D1E86
MVP

malk wrote:I wonder what team he'll go to for the vet min and put up decent numbers for in spot duty?

I'd still ask him to reduce his compensation down to around $2m and see if he wants to stick around but of course it won't happen.
Me too. And after he said no I’d ask him to bring any offers back and see if it’s worth paying it in a backup / spot duty role.

I wouldn’t make it a priority though. The other backups we have would also make fine backup options to bring back.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:.
Austin Bryant, Sam Hubbard, Josh Sweat, Jaylon Ferguson, and Lorenzo Carter are some names to keep an eye on.
Carter is a name to keep an eye on.
malk
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:
malk wrote:I wonder what team he'll go to for the vet min and put up decent numbers for in spot duty?

Me too. And after he said no I’d ask him to bring any offers back and see if it’s worth paying it in a backup / spot duty role.

I wouldn’t make it a priority though. The other backups we have would also make fine backup options to bring back.
It's cases like that where it's a pity you can't waive tampering, ask him to go and look at the market and come back. It wouldn't be acrimonious, I'd imagine at any rate, given his injuries over the past couple of years so why not see if there isn't a better solution for all.

ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Man, we did not get much out of this guy. Maybe one season's worth before he hurt his knee and then a whole bunch of nothing.

Will not be unhappy to see him go.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

A really great unmeasurable with McPhee was his badass attitude. Problem is... If you're hurt most of the time and only producing a small percentage of the time, that attitude carries no weight in the locker room. It's a shame. I really like McPhee as a man. His body just can't live up to it, even though he's only 29.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Funkster
MVP

The injuries to this team the past few years are draining my fandom. McPhee put on IR doesn't bother me one bit because I could care less. All this dude does is take up cap and a roster spot. Good riddance. He is my least favorite Bear player.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve