Cutler talks new start in Miami

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-him-out/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The now-Dolphins quarterback admitted Monday that his eight seasons in Chicago began to wear on him — between the injuries and the constant losing.

“I think you can talk about anybody in the league, no one likes to lose, no one likes going through those situations,” Cutler said, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. “Those are tough. They wear you down. But that wasn’t the sole reason . . . I mean, they released me, so it was kind of end of the road at that point.”
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

The beatings that man took under Martz should get him a medal of honor. Glad he's playing again, sad he's not in the booth though.
wab
Mod

I picked him up with my last pick in Fantasy. I think they have a chance to score some points. Those WR's are pretty good. Parker is a faster Jeffery... and if Thomas is healthy, that's Jay's bread and butter.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hell, I kind of wanted to hear him commentating during the Bears first game.

How the hell can martz, Tice, Trestman and Kromer not grate on your last friggin nerve. It was time for him to get the hell out of Dodge (Chicago). Probably the best thing that happened to him.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Yeah, it really looked like it was wearing on him. He looked unhappy.

You see it with players and coaches alike who have been with a team for a long while. It just gets stale. But often times, once they're on a new team, they seem to get a new lease on life and kind of "reinvent" themselves. I'm on record that I have low expectations for Jay in Miami, but you just never know, the new chemistry may be a godsend for him. Plus, Miami has some bitchin' uniforms.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
docc
Head Coach

Thursday.. Jay looked sharp and that arm is still a canon.. Hope he does well..
G08
Hall of Famer

Dude looked fucking good last night... DeVante Parker is a fantasy sleeper

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

it was weird watching him without the emotional attachment. he was definitely cutleresque. his third throw was almost picked off and his fourth one was into a lazer into a tight window.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Dude looked fucking good last night... DeVante Parker is a fantasy sleeper
I took him in the 3rd round. And I took Cutler later on.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I am going to laugh my ass off if Cutty comes out and rips it up for the Fins. It will just confirm what a joke this franchise is.
malk
Head Coach

I know it was time to move on but Christ, there's no way we couldn't have got something for Cutler by holding onto him until QB injuries started. Instead we essentially swap him for Glennon on the same money. Go front office!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I know it was time to move on but Christ, there's no way we couldn't have got something for Cutler by holding onto him until QB injuries started.
agreed

malk wrote:Instead we essentially swap him for Glennon on the same money. Go front office!
well when you put it that way ... :puke:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Cutty has big game against the evil empire. NO INTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i shut it off in the middle of the fourth because i didnt want to watch brady do his thing.

it was a fun game to watch.
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Cutty has big game against the evil empire. NO INTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?
He lit the fucking Patriots up :)

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

That’s the guy I remember.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:That’s the guy I remember.

and when he throws 3 picks next week in a Dolphins loss, you can use that same quote :D
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

:rofl:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Wasting time at work today (stuffed from office party grub). Cutler never went over 2 games in a row without an int. There were only 6x where he went 2 games in a row without an int. His career in Chicago was so unsatisfying for many, many reasons. so much unfulfilled potential, it is not even funny.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:Wasting time at work today (stuffed from office party grub). Cutler never went over 2 games in a row without an int. There were only 6x where he went 2 games in a row without an int. His career in Chicago was so unsatisfying for many, many reasons. so much unfulfilled potential, it is not even funny.
yes indeed
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Richie
MVP

That was a pretty great performance.

About 4-5 drops in that game too. One which would have been a 50 yard TD.

Perhaps the best game I've watched Jay play. Along with the Philly game in 2010, and the playoff game vs Seattle.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Richie wrote:That was a pretty great performance.

Perhaps the best game I've watched Jay play. Along with the Philly game in 2010, and the playoff game vs Seattle.
This is Cutler though. The problem is he’ll come out against their biggest rival next week and throw four interceptions in the first half to balance it out.

He’s so close to being awesome. Always was.

And I think all that bad teammate stuff was always kind of bunk. I don’t think he’s a tremendous leader, but he gets way too much flak because he always has bitter beer face.
Richie
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:

This is Cutler though. The problem is he’ll come out against their biggest rival next week and throw four interceptions in the first half to balance it out.

He’s so close to being awesome. Always was.

And I think all that bad teammate stuff was always kind of bunk. I don’t think he’s a tremendous leader, but he gets way too much flak because he always has bitter beer face.
Oh, no doubt. Cutler's classic move was disappointing in epic fashion, right when you finally bought into him. In a game you had marked down as a gimme victory. Then, right when it seems completely unthinkable, having an elite-caliber game out of nowhere and beating a superior opponent. Sometimes he'd even go on runs like that for a month-plus, but it always led to restarting the same cycle.

And yeah... regardless, he got too much flak. He's as tough as they come, and a lot of his teammates have said great things about him. He's not a "rah-rah" guy, but neither was Montana. If he had won a title during his time in Chicago, the media/fans would have spun his personality into something positive. Like Eli... "Such an even keel guy! You can't phase him!". Then, when Eli is losing, people make fun of that same mouth-breathing look plastered on his face.

I'd love to see Jay run the table and get into the playoffs. However, I am quite sure he'll meltdown. If not this week, then the next in Arrowhead. Hope I am wrong, as I've been pulling for the guy this year.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

that was a simply perfect pass, right into the receivers hands, and a terrible drop by that receiver

Richie wrote:Perhaps the best game I've watched Jay play. Along with the Philly game in 2010, and the playoff game vs Seattle.
agreed ... that was one of his top games in efficiency and effectiveness
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

150 games played, 85.7 career rating and some Bears fans talk like he's a leper. Christ :lol:

Stafford: 87.9
Manning: 83.7
Flacco: 84.0
Newton: 85.6
Dalton: 89.2
Winston: 86.2
Palmer: 87.9

yatta yatta

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:150 games played, 85.7 career rating and some Bears fans talk like he's a leper. Christ :lol:
Cutler was not a leper ... his tenure in Chicago is best described as a long tease with no happy ending
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:150 games played, 85.7 career rating and some Bears fans talk like he's a leper. Christ :lol:

yatta yatta
Is this where we also mention Ron Turner, the ghost of Mike Martz, Mike Tice, Aaron Kromer, Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains.

And the three years where Hester was arguably his best wide receiver (and if not it was Earl Bennett or Johnny Knox).

Or that he was 27-13 when playing with top 16 defence (admittedly 4th, 14th, 3rd).

EDIT:

Or that he was in the top ten in sacks taken for 4 of his 8 years in Chicago.
Or that he's 8th in career TD% for active players.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie
MVP

yatta yatta
I'll continue go to bat for Cutler, and die on that hill if I have to.

I think he was an unbelievably studly young QB, who we really hurt in his first few years here. We mortgaged our future for him, yet we stuck him with a pair of kick returners and a rotating door of cast-offs as WR's his first three years as a Bear. We whiffed consistently at getting him O-line help. Due to short-comings around him, he tried to do too much... he formed bad habits, mechanical flaws. He fell away from his throws, he tried to force balls.

Right when he was really coming into a rhythm under Martz in 2011, out of a scorching hot finish to 2010. He gets hurt, and Martz bolts for a college gig. We pull the rug from under him again the following year with coaching staff.

We were just a mess in the way we handled Jay, and if anything. This organization owes him a debt, not the other way around. IMO

And despite all of that... Even with the Cutler that we wound up with, we still could have won with him (IMO). If we just did a better job drafting, and selecting our staff.

Some of it was the organization, some of it was Cutler and some of it was just plain old bad luck.

Jay was not a guy who was going to pick a franchise up and carry it, like a Rodgers. However, in a competently run franchise. Cutler has a MUCH better career. No doubt in my mind.
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:

yatta yatta
I'll continue go to bat for Cutler, and die on that hill if I have to.

I think he was an unbelievably studly young QB, who we really hurt in his first few years here. We mortgaged our future for him, yet we stuck him with a pair of kick returners and a rotating door of cast-offs as WR's his first three years as a Bear. We whiffed consistently at getting him O-line help. Due to short-comings around him, he tried to do too much... he formed bad habits, mechanical flaws. He fell away from his throws, he tried to force balls.

Right when he was really coming into a rhythm under Martz in 2011, out of a scorching hot finish to 2010. He gets hurt, and Martz bolts for a college gig. We pull the rug from under him again the following year with coaching staff.

We were just a mess in the way we handled Jay, and if anything. This organization owes him a debt, not the other way around. IMO

And despite all of that... Even with the Cutler that we wound up with, we still could have won with him (IMO). If we just did a better job drafting, and selecting our staff.

Some of it was the organization, some of it was Cutler and some of it was just plain old bad luck.

Jay was not a guy who was going to pick a franchise up and carry it, like a Rodgers. However, in a competently run franchise. Cutler has a MUCH better career. No doubt in my mind.
All one needed to see was how this team FELL APART once Cutler got hurt. I think we won one more fucking game, after starting 7-3, in 2011 after dude broke his thumb. I'm going to step out of this thread before this inevitably turns into a shit-show.