Carson Wentz - real deal or too soon to tell?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I did get to watch Carson Wentz a few times while he was in college. NDSU looked like a pro program with the offense they ran. And 5 straight NCAA titles in their division. That of course was marked down by many because they weren't a Division 1 football factory.

In the Bears game, it was pretty easy to see Wentz had his head on straight, and he at no time looked overwhelmed. Pretty impressive for a rookie and IMO he did not play like a rookie. But then that was marked down by many because, well, it was against the Bears.

So now after leading a beatdown of the Pittsburgh Steelers for the battle of Pennsylvania, have you become a believer?

I'll say it right now, I'm a Wentz fan. He has all the tools you want and definitely has his head screwed on straight. I'm sure he'll have a few bumpy games, but it wouldn't surprise me for the Eagles to control the NFC East. And with the Bradford trade, they not only have their franchise QB but also have some additional sweet picks to bolster other area.

Would appear to be good days to be an Eagles fan.

Carson Wentz is shattering even the loftiest expectations as Eagles soar
PHILADELPHIA — A fan here held up a sign with a ginger-haired Jesus pointing one finger forward on his right hand, and flashing a thumbs-up with his left.

It has only been three weeks, but Philly has already given Carson Wentz that, ahem, divine treatment.

The Philadelphia Eagles, fueled once again behind a surgical Wentz performance, crushed the Pittsburgh Steelers 34-3 in a statement game that surely will send a message to the rest of the NFL. Wentz completed 23 of 31 passes for 301 yards and two TDs and once again didn't commit a turnover.

Wentz's first two victories came against the Cleveland Browns and Chicago Bears. This was different.

Wentz dissected a legitimate Super Bowl contender. And now the Eagles are 3-0, have sole possession of first place in the NFC East and look every bit like a young team that can compete for a playoff spot.

"He can put the ball anywhere, and you have to defend the whole field," Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich said of his rookie quarterback. "He's not afraid to make throws to the side. When they have to defend the whole field, it brings a different dynamic. He's fearless like that, yet he's doing it without forcing anything. That's probably what's most exciting."

Indeed, Wentz has shattered expectations. He has now become the first rookie in league history to throw more than 100 passes without an interception to start his career. He’s the only player to ever have more than 100 attempts, more than 60 completions, five or more touchdowns, and zero interceptions in the first three games of his career.
definitely off to a very good and solid start to his NFL career
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
FaithInCutler
MVP

I said last year he was the best QB in the draft and he's the only one I'd stick my neck out for. So, yeah. I really do think he's the real deal. I don't really think there is anyone out there that would argue his skill at this point.
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Too soon to tell. Happens with just about every rookie quarterback that starts week one. They're start to struggle mid-season once teams get NFL film on them and can exploit their flaws. But that's just for this season. Long-term, looks like he might be the real deal.

Then you have rookie quarterbacks like Ryan Leaf, who just suck from week one on.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Eating crow. I honestly thought the jump in competition and his stance in the pocket would make him much more of a project. I am/was wrong. Kid is the goods.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I liked the way the kid played in college. ND St is in the same conference as my alma mater so I really follow FCS players. I thought he would be able to play but kind of surprised how well it is going so far. He will be fine and will be a good pro. Good head on his shoulders, good mentor in Pederson, he will make Eagles glad they did what they did.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Remember....half way through their rookie years

RG3 and Kap were future HOFers

Wilson was going to be OK
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

DaDitka wrote:Remember....half way through their rookie years

RG3 and Kap were future HOFers

Wilson was going to be OK
RG3 got destroyed but he was never consistent, just hit the big plays with his legs which gave him confidence with his throws.

Kap was made for a read option offense and couldn't adjust to being asked to play more traditional

Wilson flashes greatness more and more and would have been a hall of famer if he played in the 70's. I think he's a little too inconsistent at times but he's always a threat to run so it keeps defenses honest.

Wentz is able to stand in the pocket and make his reads, and can escape whenever he needs to. I think he's mostly accurate with the ball and does his best to not put the team on his own shoulders. Right now, I would take him if I had a choice between him and Andrew Luck as he is right now.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Obviously "too soon to tell" is correct.

But if I had to take "In" or "Out" right now, definitely "In".
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.