Sebastian Janikowski will not be back with the Rai-duhs

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Veteran kicker Sebastian Janikowski will not return to Raiders
The Oakland Raiders have decided not to bring back kicker Sebastian Janikowski for a 19th season. However, the former first-round pick, who has spent his entire career with the Raiders, has no plans to retire, according to his agent Paul Healy.

At 39, Janikowski sees himself as too young to retire. He still possesses a strong leg, and he is healthy again after missing the 2017 season with a back injury. In 2016, his last full season, Janikowski made 82.9 percent of his field goals (10th-best in the league) with a long of 56 (sixth-longest).

Janikowski just completed the final season of a four-year, $15.1 million contract. He would have preferred to remain with the Raiders, reuniting with coach Jon Gruden -- who drafted him 17th overall in 2000 out of Florida State.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I don't know how reliable this Cairo kid is, and the Bears may have other ideas, but signing Janikowski to a 1-2 year "fare thee well" deal would be acceptable. His leg is still insane.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Back injuries in the late 30's for an NFL athlete....can he be relied on?
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Isn't he a grandpa? This dude has been around for quite a while. Is he the next George Blanda?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Isn't he a grandpa? This dude has been around for quite a while. Is he the next George Blanda?

well Blanda played QB at 43 years old and also kicked ... plus, Blanda played his last NFL game as a kicker at 48 years old ... so Janikowski has some time to go to measure up
George Carlin
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

mort anderson was 48 when he retired midway through the 2008 season. sebastian may have another 9 years left.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

I'd bring Janikowski and a rookie into training camp and let the best man win the kicking job.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

RING4CHI wrote:I'd bring Janikowski and a rookie into training camp and let the best man win the kicking job.
Sea Bass is the best kicker out there...that's not the question.

The question is will his 39 year old back hold up to a season of drinking and kicking
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:I'd bring Janikowski and a rookie into training camp and let the best man win the kicking job.
The question is will his 39 year old back hold up to a season of drinking and kicking
a season of drinking and kicking....sounds like it should be the title of his autobiography.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I would sign Janikowski yesterday. Our kicking situation last year was for shit.
UOK
Site Admin

Wherever Janikowski signs, he's the starter. Look at it basically how Jason Elam's career went, playing for the Falcons for two years after like 18 with Denver. He still put up good numbers for a season before his game fell off.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

i think every older player in the nfl who is in a warm weather climate would love to come to chicago! but let's face it, a kicker with the name, Janikowski, really needs to be in chicago.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Wherever Janikowski signs, he's the starter. Look at it basically how Jason Elam's career went, playing for the Falcons for two years after like 18 with Denver. He still put up good numbers for a season before his game fell off.

yeah, i think if you tell him he's going to be competing with a rookie, he'll rightly tell you to fuck off.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Being an FSU fan and that I absolutely loved how Janikowski ran down the field on kickoffs in college and laid people out, I would love to see him in chicago.

Being a realist and looking at his 80.4% career FG percentage (44th most accurate) makes me wonder how that would work in Chicago and I think that he is Barph with a bigger leg.

No thanks, BARPH has a higher career FG%.

I think the Polish Nightmare is probably done in the NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

given the Bears kicking history during the years not controlled by Kevin Butler or Robbie Gould, any chance they have to bring in a legitimate leg is one they should take ... I think Janikowski can be lured by the Chicago bar scene coupled with some Italian Beefs and real deep dish pizza ... he may balloon to 300 pounds, but he should still be able to kick ... the extra weight might actually translate to more distance
George Carlin
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

the babe ruth of modern day sport.
Richie
MVP

I love Cairo Santos

Can't wait to see him be the next Bears fan-favorite kicker.

Dude is a stud.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:I love Cairo Santos

Dude is a stud.

like the enthusiasm but don't know what it is based on

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SantCa01.htm
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:

Dude is a stud.

Young, most likely ascending kicker with a higher career percentage than an old broke down injured kicker at the end of his career?

If he pans out it takes care of your kicker slot for potentially multiple seasons.
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:

Dude is a stud.

Yes, he's the 15th most accurate kicker in NFL history. I realize that historical numbers are relative and kicking has come a long way over the past decade. However, even compared to his modern counterparts, he's been very good.

90 for 107... 84.8% accuracy. (Matt Prater, considered an elite kicker. Is 83.8% in career accuracy)

88.2% under 50 yards
92.1% under 40 yards

He's also only 26 years old, and has steadily improved.

2016 with KC: 31 for 35 (88.6%)

To put that in perspective, Dan Bailey is the 2nd most accurate kicker in NFL history at 88.1%. FWIW, Tucker is #1 at 90.1%.

Every Chiefs fan seemed to really, really like the guy and was disappointed by his release. However, they couldn't afford to use the roster spot on an injured kicker, with which they had no idea if/when he'd be healthy. Butker was doing a solid job.

To be quite honest, every time somebody brings up kicker as a "question mark"... it confuses me a bit. So long as we bring Santos back, I think it's an instant plus-position.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:Every Chiefs fan seemed to really, really like the guy and was disappointed by his release. However, they couldn't afford to use the roster spot on an injured kicker, with which they had no idea if/when he'd be healthy. Butker was doing a solid job.

To be quite honest, every time somebody brings up kicker as a "question mark"... it confuses me a bit. So long as we bring Santos back, I think it's an instant plus-position.
I just want some stability at the position, so I hope you are correct
George Carlin