Update - Tyrod Taylor stays in Buffalo

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Philtration
Rookie

He is 6' 1" and 217 lbs. and for a guy that likes to run and takes a lot of hits that is not idea.
He gets sacked a lot.
He will be 28 years old at the start of the 2017 season.
He is coming off of surgery for a sports hernia injury and that is going to come into play with his complicated contract mess.
He will probably not be healed before the Bills must make a decision about letting him go before his $15.5MM option bonus is due March 12th.
If he is not fully healed by March 12th then the Bills will owe him $27.5MM in salary for 2017.
Will his new team be on the hook for that?
If they cut him before that and he is not healed then the players union would argue that he’s entitled to his pay for next season.
More drama.
All of that before you even find out what they would want in trade or if he gets cut the bidding war that may follow. Even so-so players can be the prize in a bidding war between two or three teams.
malk
Head Coach

He's likely to be cut so it'd be a case of gettting him to sign a free agent contract. I don't see him getting a big multi year deal, it was strange that Buffalo did in the first place.

One or two years to further prove himself for a contract before he hits 30? That could be a possibility.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
ysleblanc
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
malk wrote:In PFF's offensive line review they mention that Taylor holds onto the ball longer than any other QB. That's worrying but makes his stats look even better. I wonder if it's scheme based or if it could be coached out of him?
Play action, read option and roll outs all contribute to his holding the ball more. Again, he won't ever look like Peyton Manning for a whole game et alone a season, but he has moments of tremendous long ball touch, and short ball accuracy. Surround him with a good running game and he won't be the reason you lose a game and will more often than not be a contributing factor in the win. If that's the kind of offense you're willing to run, there are several worse options than Taylor out there. "Turnover" Jay Cutler being one of them.

If you're willing to run the ball, use play action and roll outs, Cutler will have very good numbers.
Until he checks out of the play or tries to force the ball. Cutler seems to think he can beat anyone with his arm...until he doesn't. He's also a guy who has to see a guy open before he throws, not throw a guy open as he makes a cut. Cutler also has too much Vinny Testaverde in him, in that he doesn't ever seem to learn from his mistakes and make protecting the ball a priority. Cutler's long ball accuracy and touch is about as reliable as cable TV customer service. Cutler has led the league in INT's twice, and has only been under double digit INT's if he played 10 games or less. Those are not very good numbers. Those are very average numbers.

Tyrod, for all his faults, does know how to protect the ball. He gives any team a better chance at winning than Cutler does. Not 30 million guaranteed better, and that is why Buffalo will most likely drop him.
Cutler had good numbers in 2015 mostly with Mariani Wilson and Bellamy. I'm sure he can run a good offense with a strong running game plus Jeffery and White outside with Meredith developing.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

ysleblanc wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
malk wrote:In PFF's offensive line review they mention that Taylor holds onto the ball longer than any other QB. That's worrying but makes his stats look even better. I wonder if it's scheme based or if it could be coached out of him?
Play action, read option and roll outs all contribute to his holding the ball more. Again, he won't ever look like Peyton Manning for a whole game et alone a season, but he has moments of tremendous long ball touch, and short ball accuracy. Surround him with a good running game and he won't be the reason you lose a game and will more often than not be a contributing factor in the win. If that's the kind of offense you're willing to run, there are several worse options than Taylor out there. "Turnover" Jay Cutler being one of them.

If you're willing to run the ball, use play action and roll outs, Cutler will have very good numbers.
Until he checks out of the play or tries to force the ball. Cutler seems to think he can beat anyone with his arm...until he doesn't. He's also a guy who has to see a guy open before he throws, not throw a guy open as he makes a cut. Cutler also has too much Vinny Testaverde in him, in that he doesn't ever seem to learn from his mistakes and make protecting the ball a priority. Cutler's long ball accuracy and touch is about as reliable as cable TV customer service. Cutler has led the league in INT's twice, and has only been under double digit INT's if he played 10 games or less. Those are not very good numbers. Those are very average numbers.

Tyrod, for all his faults, does know how to protect the ball. He gives any team a better chance at winning than Cutler does. Not 30 million guaranteed better, and that is why Buffalo will most likely drop him.
Cutler had good numbers in 2015 mostly with Mariani Wilson and Bellamy. I'm sure he can run a good offense with a strong running game plus Jeffery and White outside with Meredith developing.
And Trent Dilfer won a superbowl that 1 year...next!
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
ysleblanc
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:

And Trent Dilfer won a superbowl that 1 year...next!

Dilfer won a Super Bowl with one of the best defenses of all time. Cutler kept the Bears in a lot of games with no defense, mediocre running game and #5 and 6 receivers.
malk
Head Coach

All this Garoppolo talk has reminded me I'd much prefer Taylor!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
UOK
Site Admin

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... m=referral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bills expected to retain Taylor.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... m=referral

Bills expected to retain Taylor.
Makes sense. He's a good fit in Dennison's offense.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bills say Tyrod Taylor is medically cleared
The Bills say quarterback Tyrod Taylor is healthy enough to play — and potentially healthy enough to get cut.

A team source told Adam Schefter that Taylor has been medically cleared from his January groin surgery.

It’s significant that this is coming from a team source, rather than directly from Taylor. The Bills can cut Taylor by March 11 and not have to pay his $27.5 million guarantee, but only if he can pass a physical. If the Bills choose not to pick up Taylor’s guarantee, it’s still possible that Taylor could file a grievance and claim he isn’t yet healthy.

If the Bills cut Taylor, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. If he’s still on the team after March 11, that means the Bills are committed to him as their quarterback.

not sure how much of this has substance and how much is just writers reaching for a story

if there is an actual disagreement between the Bills and Taylor regarding his health, is it something that will be solved by his physical exam or is it something able to cause a much deeper rift between the 2 sides?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Yeah, I just read that PFT article.
UOK
Site Admin

Buffalo news says the Bills are leaning toward cutting Taylor. The fuck?
wab
Mod

Dumb move by Buffalo. He's the best QB they've had in a long time. He makes sense in Cleveland...but I don't think he fits the Bears offense.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

wab wrote:Dumb move by Buffalo. He's the best QB they've had in a long time. He makes sense in Cleveland...but I don't think he fits the Bears offense.
What kind of offense do the Bears have exactly? It's hard to tell based on the product they put on the field. LOL.

That said, I'd much rather have Taylor than Glennon.
-Shu
UOK
Site Admin

Browns are apparently hot after Taylor should he be released.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Buffalo Bills‏ @buffalobills

We've agreed to terms with QB Tyrod Taylor on a restructured contract.
Welcome back, @TyrodTaylor!
wab
Mod

RustyTrombone wrote: Buffalo Bills‏ @buffalobills

I guess they saw what Glennon was getting and thought "maybe we don't have it so bad afterall."
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote: Buffalo Bills‏ @buffalobills

I guess they saw what Glennon was getting and thought "maybe we don't have it so bad afterall."
:lol:

link to the Taylor story for those who want it

Tyrod Taylor gets restructured deal; Patrick DiMarco likely to sign
George Carlin
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Wonder if that makes Cleveland think QB 1st?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:Wonder if that makes Cleveland think QB 1st?

why not? they have the capacity to ruin many many more before maybe getting it right

do they lead the league in first round drafted QB's just not doing anything? sure seems like it
George Carlin