What has Larry Mayer been smoking?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Larry Mayer is saying he sees the Bears winning 9 or 10 games next year. Turn arounds happen in the NFL, but there were bigger problems with the Bears last season than just injuries and I see nothing to base a prediction like this on. Mayer just seems to giving out the company line.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/articl ... 3c9ffaa9ff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
SC Bear
Journeyman

It is a huge mistake to ever doubt Larry.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Its possible that we get our QB (Garropolo, Taylor, McCarron, etc.) and secondary (2 CB's and a S) before the draft.

If we have a guy who can move the ball and guys who don't simply let guys run past them, the draft becomes all about getting that 1-2 impact players. This team could turn around fairly quickly.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Its possible that we get our QB (Garropolo, Taylor, McCarron, etc.) and secondary (2 CB's and a S) before the draft.

If we have a guy who can move the ball and guys who don't simply let guys run past them, the draft becomes all about getting that 1-2 impact players. This team could turn around fairly quickly.
The last thing thing I want to see the Bears try to do is to once again try the quick patch up route. I'm not saying that is what you want to do, but to me morgaging to get Garropolo and investing in other teams players is doing that once again. They need to build that team through the draft and continue to spend modestly in FA.

The injury bug has been hitting the Bears bad for a few years now, enough to tell me it's more than just bad luck.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I think the Bears could very easily rebound to 7-9 wins, IF they have decent QB play.

(And I'm not necessarily rooting for that, because I'd rather have a good long-term plan than a good short-term bandaid.)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Mayer posted an SI article about the SI columnist seeing the Bears winning 9-10 games. I don't think Mayer actually made any comments or provided any opinions of his own.

Nonetheless, 9-10 wins certainly could happen - but it all hinges on who the QB is and how healthy he will be.
Never Die Easy
Funkster
MVP

There is plenty to base that prediction on. Losing 7 games by 8 points or less is top on my list.

Offense, strong O-line play, strong running game and a good WR corps. Pace will fill QB position with the best option available. Loggains system is very QB friendly and doesn't require an all pro skill set.

Defense, they finished the season ranked 15th and flashed during the season. No doubt injuries took a toll on them. This side of the ball could easily become a top unit. Staying healthy and adding a few pieces via free agency and the draft could have the Bears defense back to being feared!

I would say 10 wins should be obtainable and competing for the NFC north is very likely.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

staleystarch wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:Its possible that we get our QB (Garropolo, Taylor, McCarron, etc.) and secondary (2 CB's and a S) before the draft.

The last thing thing I want to see the Bears try to do is to once again try the quick patch up route. I'm not saying that is what you want to do, but to me morgaging to get Garropolo and investing in other teams players is doing that once again. They need to build that team through the draft and continue to spend modestly in FA.

The injury bug has been hitting the Bears bad for a few years now, enough to tell me it's more than just bad luck.
I am far from a Garropolo fan, but if Pace pulls the trigger, he's saying that we have a guy ready right now to build around.

Tyrod would be a guy we trade for if we think we are drafting a project to develop, which many of the QB's are in this draft.

McCarron might be starter ready, but I'm less enthused about him. He didn't show much as a "don't turn the ball over" guy under Jackson. Otherwise we need to bring back Hoyer to start while a rookie gets molded.

In Free agency, we could easily upgrade 2 CB positions. Amukamara, Munnerlyn, Kirkpatrick and Bouye are guys who would all stat over what we have. At S Cyprien, Swearinger, Jefferson and Hyde all could upgrade opposite Amos.

These moves simply puts us ahead by 1 year instead of drafting everyone to fill in. We have the cap space, might as well use it. Guys like Hauschka at K make a lot of sense for a team with extra cap space.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
malk
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:There is plenty to base that prediction on. Losing 7 games by 8 points or less is top on my list.

Offense, strong O-line play, strong running game and a good WR corps. Pace will fill QB position with the best option available. Loggains system is very QB friendly and doesn't require an all pro skill set.

Defense, they finished the season ranked 15th and flashed during the season. No doubt injuries took a toll on them. This side of the ball could easily become a top unit. Staying healthy and adding a few pieces via free agency and the draft could have the Bears defense back to being feared!

I would say 10 wins should be obtainable and competing for the NFC north is very likely.
This.

If Jeffery is back we've got a legitimate threat at wideout plus genuine promise in Meredith.
Howard looks legit.
TE is an issue because of Miller's health but it isn't massive in our system.
Our oline was ranked 8th in the league by football outsiders and that's without much Long.
QB is a massive question mark but all of the above should help out whomever it is.

None of the above relies on additions bar for QB. I can see help at TE plus 2nd running back and a vet wide receiver.

On defence, as you say, we were 15th in yards (I think, or points?). FO have us at 22nd with out historic number of injuries. Get Goldman and Trevathan back and the front seven take a big step forward. Less certain but still reasonable to hope for is a healthier McPhee and getting more from Floyd in year 2.
Finally our defensive backs were awful but there's absolutely no way we don't improve. I see no way we can't improve three starters with a combination of free agents and Fuller. Porter was awful, partly down to injuries. Then there were about 600 snaps between McManis, Banks, Glenn, Bausby and Hall. They were all pretty terrible. Then Callahan and LeBlanc made up the rest and they weren't great but could do a job as backups. More experience for LeBlanc will also help. But in any case, we will sign a free agent that will automatically be our best cornerback along with Fuller who would have been the best this year.

Yes we've got a long way to come back from 3-13 but the existing roster, when more or less fit is, what a 7-9 one, maybe 8-8? Add in that with top draft picks and loads of cap space. Sure, we've got a shot at double digit wins.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
dapianna
Journeyman

Dude must be on some crack. We're going 19-0!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dapianna wrote:Dude must be on some crack. We're going 19-0!
no shit, the bears are paying this man and he's saying we're going to lose 6-7 games next year?

fire his ass.
Mjiton
Rookie

Right now with the strength of schedule getting harder from tied at 30 to 19 combined with a
they can't be as injury riddled this year mentality... it still looks like a 5-7 win team, imo.

The Hype can increase if these things happen...
1) Jimmy G sweepstakes hype goes up
2) resigning Jeffery or the hype goes down
3) hitting big in FA hype up
4) hitting big in the Draft hype up

I could see 10 wins if all 4 happen.
I however do not see all 4 happening.
The more of those things that do happen the more wins the Bears could get.
Just my 2 cents
Wounded Bear
MVP

dapianna wrote:Dude must be on some crack. We're going 19-0!
Fuck that weak shit, we're going 25-0. Maybe 30-0 if we avoid the injury bug.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
jasfirstroundbust

Hoyer sucks, and questioning Larry is the leading cause of death in America. ..
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Mjiton wrote:Right now with the strength of schedule getting harder from tied at 30 to 19 combined with a
they can't be as injury riddled this year mentality... it still looks like a 5-7 win team, imo.

The Hype can increase if these things happen...
1) Jimmy G sweepstakes hype goes up
2) resigning Jeffery or the hype goes down
3) hitting big in FA hype up
4) hitting big in the Draft hype up

I could see 10 wins if all 4 happen.
I however do not see all 4 happening.
The more of those things that do happen the more wins the Bears could get.
We also have a coach very capable of a 2-14 season. He's done it before. While hoping for a big jump I actually think we will most likely have a marginally better team and record than last year. One thing I do, and it is interesting to me, is look at the forums for other teams. There I see that most fans of the other currently stinker teams are rationalizing turn arounds for their teams.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

staleystarch you're kind of a bummer
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

RustyTrombone wrote:staleystarch you're kind of a bummer
Believe me I would love for the coming season to show me wrong big time. I'll eat crow with a smile on my face.
wab
Mod

With the parity in the NFL these days, and assuming a lot more health in 2017, there is no reason the Bears shouldn't be at a minimum considered an 8 win team.
ysleblanc
MVP

staleystarch wrote:Larry Mayer is saying he sees the Bears winning 9 or 10 games next year. Turn arounds happen in the NFL, but there were bigger problems with the Bears last season than just injuries and I see nothing to base a prediction like this on. Mayer just seems to giving out the company line.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/articl ... 3c9ffaa9ff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not impossible, teams every year make big leaps from bottom 10 to top 10.

A lot of things would have to go right, but it's possible, though unlikely.

Obviously it won't happen if they let Cutler and Jeffery walk, not with a rookie QB and and even more so with no Jeffery.