18%

Total votes: 22
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

next week.

What route do they choose with Alshon?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

sign him ... he is a legitimate #1
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Nanky
Journeyman

He may get tagged and then signed to a long term contract, but in the end I think we will resign him. The Bears have way too much cap room to let Alshon leave. There are health concerns, but he is a playmaker in his prime years and there's no way the Bears can afford to let young playmakers leave.
UOK
Site Admin

Can't get stuck tagging Alshon again. It's fuck or walk.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think they tag him at minimum if they can't work out a contract.

Tag is what, $18 million? If we work out a 4 year deal we can keep the $18 million in year one.

2017 - $18 million
2018 - $12 million
2019 - $12 million
2020 - $12 million

Averages out to $13.5 million per season, puts him top 6 in the league. Make it $30 million guaranteed (first two years). Win-win.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

Sign him.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Sign him.
There really is no reason not to, IMO. Pace made it a point to say he observed how hard Jeffery worked and how much the game means to him (hates losing, etc).

Kevin White is a huge ? at this point and Cameron Meredith is a fun little surprise but you just can't bank on him yet.

All this while we are flush with cap space AND will have a young QB coming in?

Have to do it. Overpay if required, just make sure your QB and OC are involving him in the gameplan rather than ignoring him for stretches at a time "because my read didn't take me there" *cough* HOYER *cough*

He's a part of the reason I think Deshaun Watson could thrive here early on, Alshon Jeffery is a better attacker/back shoulder receipient of the ball than Clemson's Mike Williams.
malk
Head Coach

Got to be signed long term. Hopefully this past season makes him realise he's not getting league leading cash and he "settles" for a top 5 wideout obscene amount of money.

I still want someone to get a huge pile of front loaded cash this year too, might as well be Jeffery.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

They're going sign him if--and many think it's a BIG if--he's willing to sign at a reasonable number. If they don't get him signed, I think they at least try to tag and trade him. I don't know that the Bears would consider just tagging him and keeping him until you consider what a make or break year 2017 is for Fox and Pace.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Sign him.
There really is no reason not to, IMO. Pace made it a point to say he observed how hard Jeffery worked and how much the game means to him (hates losing, etc).

Kevin White is a huge ? at this point and Cameron Meredith is a fun little surprise but you just can't bank on him yet.

All this while we are flush with cap space AND will have a young QB coming in?

Have to do it. Overpay if required, just make sure your QB and OC are involving him in the gameplan rather than ignoring him for stretches at a time "because my read didn't take me there" *cough* HOYER *cough*

He's a part of the reason I think Deshaun Watson could thrive here early on, Alshon Jeffery is a better attacker/back shoulder receipient of the ball than Clemson's Mike Williams.
Alshon/Deshaun would be fun to watch.
ysleblanc
MVP

Nanky wrote:He may get tagged and then signed to a long term contract, but in the end I think we will resign him. The Bears have way too much cap room to let Alshon leave. There are health concerns, but he is a playmaker in his prime years and there's no way the Bears can afford to let young playmakers leave.

Pretty much sums it up. Letting him walk has no upside, just opens up a gaping hole.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

sign him to a contract frontloaded with guaranteed money, allowing us to get out of it in 3-4 years if he cant stay healthy.

but definitely sign him. develop your own talent, take care of your own. send a message to the young guys on the team.
ysleblanc
MVP

RustyTrombone wrote:sign him to a contract frontloaded with guaranteed money, allowing us to get out of it in 3-4 years if he cant stay healthy.

but definitely sign him. develop your own talent, take care of your own. send a message to the young guys on the team.

Even as a FA Jeffery is unlikely to get more than 2 years guaranteed. Guarantee him 23-24 mil in first 2 years.

5 year deal worth 70 mil total.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I have no problem paying a player if he's worth it. Right now, Jeffery isn't worth a big contract. I liken him to Cutler in a way to be honest...a guy with all the talent in the world who just isn't getting it done on the field. While Cutty is more mental mistakes, Jeffery isn't showing the drive to stay on the field and produce.

It Sucks, but I still want to keep him, but only if we can get out of the deal. Offer him a 2 year deal worth about as much as the tag with the only guaranteed money in the form of roster bonuses, with 3 more years automatically added if he hits certain qualifiers (participates in offseason program, stays on the field, leads team in yards and receptions). We have the cap room, but I'm not willing to carry any dead money forward with this guy. That would be just stupid.

I'd rather sign 3 big name DB's (2 CB's and a S), and then trade back far enough to take Corey Davis or Howard the TE.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
ysleblanc
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote:I have no problem paying a player if he's worth it. Right now, Jeffery isn't worth a big contract. I liken him to Cutler in a way to be honest...a guy with all the talent in the world who just isn't getting it done on the field. While Cutty is more mental mistakes, Jeffery isn't showing the drive to stay on the field and produce.

It Sucks, but I still want to keep him, but only if we can get out of the deal. Offer him a 2 year deal worth about as much as the tag with the only guaranteed money in the form of roster bonuses, with 3 more years automatically added if he hits certain qualifiers (participates in offseason program, stays on the field, leads team in yards and receptions). We have the cap room, but I'm not willing to carry any dead money forward with this guy. That would be just stupid.

I'd rather sign 3 big name DB's (2 CB's and a S), and then trade back far enough to take Corey Davis or Howard the TE.

Jeffery is worth a big contract, no doubt.

He's one of the top WR in the NFL and should be paid as such, Bears have a gazillion dollars in cap space, so why nickel and dime to open up another gaping hole on the roster? Do you enjoy 3-13 seasons that much?

If you let Jeffery walk, you basically need to use one of your top 2 picks on a WR...and you leave excellent DB's and edge rushers on the board when that's the gaping hole on the roster.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

ysleblanc wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:I have no problem paying a player if he's worth it. Right now, Jeffery isn't worth a big contract. I liken him to Cutler in a way to be honest...a guy with all the talent in the world who just isn't getting it done on the field. While Cutty is more mental mistakes, Jeffery isn't showing the drive to stay on the field and produce.

He's one of the top WR in the NFL and should be paid as such, Bears have a gazillion dollars in cap space, so why nickel and dime to open up another gaping hole on the roster? Do you enjoy 3-13 seasons that much?

If you let Jeffery walk, you basically need to use one of your top 2 picks on a WR...and you leave excellent DB's and edge rushers on the board when that's the gaping hole on the roster.
If you have no doubt, you have literally been under a rock the past 2 years.
There are serious legitimate concerns that Jeffery wants to be in Chicago, has passion for the game -- and even if he passes those 2 metrics -- whether he can stay on the field for even 14 games and perform at a high level for those games.

If there were absolutely no doubts, I wouldn't be expressing my concerns and the rest of the NFL wouldn't be wondering what were going do with Jeffery, because Jeffery would already be signed to a long contract.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
ysleblanc
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:

If you have no doubt, you have literally been under a rock the past 2 years.
There are serious legitimate concerns that Jeffery wants to be in Chicago, has passion for the game -- and even if he passes those 2 metrics -- whether he can stay on the field for even 14 games and perform at a high level for those games.

If there were absolutely no doubts, I wouldn't be expressing my concerns and the rest of the NFL wouldn't be wondering what were going do with Jeffery, because Jeffery would already be signed to a long contract.
Jeffery will want to be with the team that pays him...that's football, unless you're talking about a guy who's made 100's of millions and it just trying to latch on for a ring.

The last 4 years, he's played 53 games, missing 11, 4 of those 11 were a suspension. Injuries are not a big concern.

I think Pace dropped the ball a year ago, after tagging him, he should have gotten the deal done. as I said before, you don't nickel and dime your best players with 80 mil of cap room available...dumb!
Funkster
MVP

ysleblanc wrote:
Nanky wrote:He may get tagged and then signed to a long term contract, but in the end I think we will resign him. The Bears have way too much cap room to let Alshon leave. There are health concerns, but he is a playmaker in his prime years and there's no way the Bears can afford to let young playmakers leave.

Pretty much sums it up. Letting him walk has no upside, just opens up a gaping hole.
Agreed!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

It seems pretty rare that we actually draft a good player, and Alshon is pretty damn good. I'd like for us to keep our good players, and I like to see Fox actually do his job and motivate players to play. Also, maybe Pace helps as he has more "passion to play" when the team makes a commitment to him long term.
xyt in the discord chats
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

ysleblanc wrote:[
The last 4 years, he's played 53 games, missing 11, 4 of those 11 were a suspension. Injuries are not a big concern.

I think Pace dropped the ball a year ago, after tagging him, he should have gotten the deal done. as I said before, you don't nickel and dime your best players with 80 mil of cap room available...dumb!
I specifically said the last 2 years and you just showed that you weren't watching these past 2. Jeffery was on the field 2 years ago, and I watched every one of those games. He wasn't healthy for at least 1/2 the season and only "dominated" a few games. He struggled with soft tissue strains in his legs and had a lot of trouble getting separation and Cutler tried to force passes to him.

That was reason #1 why he didn't get his sweetheart deal everyone says he should have. And this last year he showed that he wasn't 100% healthy again. Doesn't matter the talent if the guy can't stay on the field.
docc
Head Coach

..well he did try to go the Performance Enhancing Dollar route..
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

I would like the Bears to at least tag Jeffery, but I do not have much faith at the moment in the Bears organization whence I fear they will lose him.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I said sign him. He's a homegrown talent - the Bears FO has been preaching drafting well and keeping their own. Sure, this regime didn't draft him but if you want to build a strong nucleus then they shouldn't let a #1 WR walk straight out of the door.
Never Die Easy
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised it's so lopsided.
A few months ago it seemed like a hot debate.

I'm still kind of torn.

On the one hand, if they dump 3 young Pro Bowlers in 3 consecutive offseasons - Marshall, Bennett, and Jeffrey - that's a really disturbing pattern. You can't build talent if you're constantly shedding it that heavily.

On the other hand, Jeffrey's production peaked in his 2nd season and has declined (significantly) since. If he's never going to be his old self again and keep breaking down, I don't want to give him a ton of money and then decide that you can't pay him and another guy veteran money when White and Meredith come due.

I'd look for a regular contract, but if you can't get one that's escapable in 2-3 yrs with only minor consequence, I wouldn't feel bad about another year of tag, while you evaluate Jeffrey, White, Meredith (and maybe a rookie slot speedster - I 'draft' one all the time lately).
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
ysleblanc
MVP

Moriarty wrote:I'm surprised it's so lopsided.
A few months ago it seemed like a hot debate.

I'm still kind of torn.

On the one hand, if they dump 3 young Pro Bowlers in 3 consecutive offseasons - Marshall, Bennett, and Jeffrey - that's a really disturbing pattern. You can't build talent if you're constantly shedding it that heavily.

On the other hand, Jeffrey's production peaked in his 2nd season and has declined (significantly) since. If he's never going to be his old self again and keep breaking down, I don't want to give him a ton of money and then decide that you can't pay him and another guy veteran money when White and Meredith come due.

I'd look for a regular contract, but if you can't get one that's escapable in 2-3 yrs with only minor consequence, I wouldn't feel bad about another year of tag, while you evaluate Jeffrey, White, Meredith (and maybe a rookie slot speedster - I 'draft' one all the time lately).

His 3rd year he had 1,100+ yards and 10 TD's, that's nothing to sneeze at.

2015 he was banged up but still managed 800 yards in 9 games, that's 1,400 over 16 games.

2016 he had 821 in 12 games, in large part because Hoyer hardly threw at him.

Bottom line, he's one of the top WR in the NFL, Bears have tons of cap space...would be VERY dumb to let him walk.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:They're going sign him if--and many think it's a BIG if--he's willing to sign at a reasonable number. If they don't get him signed, I think they at least try to tag and trade him. I don't know that the Bears would consider just tagging him and keeping him until you consider what a make or break year 2017 is for Fox and Pace.

I don't know why he wouldn't want every dollar out there. You get discounts when you have leverage, not when the player both plays out his original contract AND a year under the tag.

What I don't get ...if they give him a long term deal now, why didn't they just do it last year?
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:They're going sign him if--and many think it's a BIG if--he's willing to sign at a reasonable number. If they don't get him signed, I think they at least try to tag and trade him. I don't know that the Bears would consider just tagging him and keeping him until you consider what a make or break year 2017 is for Fox and Pace.

I don't know why he wouldn't want every dollar out there. You get discounts when you have leverage, not when the player both plays out his original contract AND a year under the tag.

What I don't get ...if they give him a long term deal now, why didn't they just do it last year?
Because they wanted to see if he could stay healthy. He did...but then he went and got himself suspended.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
RichH55 wrote:

Because they wanted to see if he could stay healthy. He did...but then he went and got himself suspended.
Yup, Pace said in his postmortem presser that he watched how hard Alshon worked and has a strong grasp on how much he hates losing, which are two things he values in a player.

Kevin White was his hedge and the kid has sucked/been injury prone. He's not going to bank on Meredith as a legit #1 or #2. We have no choice, hence why I say tag him and see if you can push him to sign for a 4 year, 54 million dollar deal with something like 30 million guaranteed.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
RichH55 wrote:

Yes. But if that rather important factoid (missed 4 games, was still banged up as to his practice schedule too IIRC) doesn't change the front office's analysis.....Then they had the wrong decision chart going last year.

Point being: If you are in favor of bringing him back (either Tag OR Long Term deal) you made a bad decision last year

It wasn't like he went out there played all 16 and blew the roof off the joint, fair?
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote:
wab wrote:
RichH55 wrote:

Yes. But if that rather important factoid (missed 4 games, was still banged up as to his practice schedule too IIRC) doesn't change the front office's analysis.....Then they had the wrong decision chart going last year.

Point being: If you are in favor of bringing him back (either Tag OR Long Term deal) you made a bad decision last year

It wasn't like he went out there played all 16 and blew the roof off the joint, fair?
If any of that were even remotely true, no player who has ever been tagged would have ever been signed by his own team the year after being tagged. Your logic doesn't make sense.