Browns/Texans trade! Osweiler to Browns

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@AdamSchefter
Stunner: Texans trade Brock Osweiler AND 2018 2nd-rd pick to CLEV for Browns to take Osweiler contract off Houston books, sources tell ESPN.
G08
Hall of Famer

Ho-lee Shit :lol:

Browns are fucking brilliant!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Rumors I've read suggest the Browns would cut Osweiler loose, meaning they used cap space for a second round pick.

Nice job, actually.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

@RapSheet
1m
The #Browns are expected to move on from Robert Griffin III. The Brock Osweiler acquisition should clear the way for that
UOK
Site Admin

@OptimumScouting
Update on #Browns draft picks:
2017 - 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6
2018 - 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7

11 picks EACH in next 2 drafts
wab
Mod

So...basically the way I'm reading this is that the Browns didn't have to give up anything in this trade. The Texans basically gave them a 2nd round pick just to fucking take the guy.

Wow.
UOK
Site Admin

Yep it's great. Browns apparently are just gonna cut Osweiler, lol.
wab
Mod

Wait...looks like the Browns in fact did have to give up a 4th round pick. Still, that could be the most lopsided trade ever.

And the Browns are just gonna cut him. They basically traded a 4th for a 2nd.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Wow! Maybe thosee baseball guys that the browns hired know what they are doing. If not, at least they are entertaining!
-Shu
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:Wait...looks like the Browns in fact did have to give up a 4th round pick. Still, that could be the most lopsided trade ever.

And the Browns are just gonna cut him. They basically traded a 4th for a 2nd.
Apparently got back a HOU 6th too.

So a 4th and $10M in cap space for a 6th and a 2018 2nd.
Very NBA-esque trade.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

Now the trick for the Browns is to turn all those picks into guys that aren't like Justin Gilbert, Johnny Manziel, Brady Quinn, Barkevious Mingo, Brandon Weeden, Phil Taylor, Trent Richardson, or Cameron Irving.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

So.... I wonder what it feels like to be Brock Osweiler... to play so poorly that a team trades away a 2nd round pick just to get rid of your contract...
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:So.... I wonder what it feels like to be Brock Osweiler... to play so poorly that a team trades away a 2nd round pick just to get rid of your contract...
To the Browns of all teams. Brock Osweiler is going to get cut by the team that could throw any QB in the ocean and not hit water with him.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Texans trade Brock Osweiler, 2018 second-round pick to Browns
While Osweiler is technically coming to Cleveland in the deal, league sources tell ESPN's Pat McManamon that the team is not acquiring him to be its quarterback. The move clears millions in salary-cap space for Houston to intensify its efforts to sign Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, sources said.

Romo is expected to be traded by the Cowboys.

To be exact, Houston will save $16 million in cash and $10 million against their cap this season.

The Texans also will get the Browns' fourth-round pick this year in exchange for their own sixth-round pick. So Cleveland gets Osweiler's contract, a 2018 second-round pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick, and Houston gets Cleveland's 2017 fourth-round pick, saves $10 million in salary-cap space and $16 million in cash.

Cleveland is not committed to keeping Osweiler, 26, and is likely to try to trade him, sources said. If that happens, the deal would turn into a basketball-like trade in which NBA teams routinely trade contracts to get them off their books. That kind of move rarely happens in the NFL.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

That was freaking brilliant by the Browns if I'm reading this right. They trade a R4 pick for Houston's R2, R6 and Osweiler, who they're just going to cut. They just moved up in the draft in return for using a bunch of their cap space temporarily?

Ryan Pace, why didn't you get in on this deal?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote:That was freaking brilliant by the Browns if I'm reading this right. They trade a R4 pick for Houston's R2, R6 and Osweiler, who they're just going to cut. They just moved up in the draft in return for using a bunch of their cap space temporarily?

Ryan Pace, why didn't you get in on this deal?
Plus they are offering Osweiler up to trade and to eat half of his salary this season as well...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Half of his salary is an expensive second rounder technically. However i kind of like this new Browns front office. They are definitely doing things there way
FaithInCutler
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:So.... I wonder what it feels like to be Brock Osweiler... to play so poorly that a team trades away a 2nd round pick just to get rid of your contract...
And then have the Browns say they are going to cut you before you even hear the news you've been traded. HAHA! It's almost too much!
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Watch him end up back in Denver for the price that Elway was willing to pay in the beginning.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Watch him end up back in Denver for the price that Elway was willing to pay in the beginning.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least.