Washington fires GM Scot McCloughlan

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@MikeJonesWaPo
Was told late in the season of jealousy up top and how they'd one day use McCloughan drinking as an excuse to can him. Exactly what happened

@BSO
Report: Redskins Fired GM Scot McCloughan For Showing Up to Locker Room & Games Drunk Multiple Times bit.ly/2m5cxRU
wab
Mod

Just weird.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Jealousy in the front office? Was Snyder jealous that his talent evaluator was better at gauging talent?
wab
Mod

League types are ripping the Skins. The word is that they are/were using his history of drinking as an excuse for firing him.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:Jealousy in the front office? Was Snyder jealous that his talent evaluator was better at gauging talent?

wasn't Snyder with the jealousy, but Team President Bruce Allen ... stories were swirling at the time McCloughlan was hired that Allen went on a 3 day hissy fit because he thought he was going to be Prez & GM

if you look at what has happened over the last 2 years, there's something to that ... Allen stripped away many of the normal GM functions from McCloughlan's area of control ... it was as if he was setting him up from the start to be an easily disposable fall guy

plus, McCloughlan's drinking was a known thing, and he never said he stopped drinking ... he said he had abused alcohol in the past but now has control over it and the Redksins accepted that (Allen was probably creaming himself knowing he would always have the alcohol trump card)

I think McCloughlan got screwed
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
karhu
Head Coach

Yeah, McCloughan wasn't the problem there.

Hey, do ya think Chicago would have room for a Jim Finks-level talent evaluator who likes his beer?
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

At the end of the day, who made the decisions regarding Cousins and the FA's they're losing? Sounds like Cousins doesn't want to be there any more, and they lost their 2 starting WR's. That's just poor roster management. Someone has to take the fall.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
karhu
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:At the end of the day, who made the decisions regarding Cousins and the FA's they're losing? Sounds like Cousins doesn't want to be there any more, and they lost their 2 starting WR's. That's just poor roster management. Someone has to take the fall.
Hard to tell. But Cousins reportedly refuses to negotiate an extension with Allen, which says a lot. And McCloughlan was released what, the day before FA? Morning of? I'm sure Allen didn't let him negotiate a bunch of deals right before he canned him.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

karhu wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:At the end of the day, who made the decisions regarding Cousins and the FA's they're losing? Sounds like Cousins doesn't want to be there any more, and they lost their 2 starting WR's. That's just poor roster management. Someone has to take the fall.
Hard to tell. But Cousins reportedly refuses to negotiate an extension with Allen, which says a lot. And McCloughlan was released what, the day before FA? Morning of? I'm sure Allen didn't let him negotiate a bunch of deals right before he canned him.
Remember that this was all set up last offseason. Getting the QB wrong and alienating him in the process...was that Allen or McCloughlan? If it was Allen meddling and setting McCloughlan up to fail, then you guys have a point and he deserves your tears...If McCloughlan effed up and is reaping what he sowed, I have no sympathy for the guy.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
karhu
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Remember that this was all set up last offseason. Getting the QB wrong and alienating him in the process...was that Allen or McCloughlan? If it was Allen meddling and setting McCloughlan up to fail, then you guys have a point and he deserves your tears...If McCloughlan effed up and is reaping what he sowed, I have no sympathy for the guy.
Again, who knows? I'm not even sure what you mean by "getting the QB wrong", but Cousins got tagged and Gruden extended by Allen. Beat reporters seem pretty convinced that Cousins' diffidence toward Allen is a direct result of McCloughlan's firing.

And hey, no tears here. The guy's good at what he does. That's about the size of it.

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

I think McCloughlan was running the draft which the last two have been super productive pick wise, I bet Allen has been trying to get him out for a while now...
UOK
Site Admin

@AdamSchefter
NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a candidate to become Washington’s general manager, sources tell @FieldYates and me.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Wait... that would be nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Lynch has started a movement....

Well Millen started it for real first... but now that everyone has forgotten 0-16 Lynch has cranked the door back open...

Who's next? Aikman? Moose Johnston?

If I were Mayock I would say no... NFL network won't fire him for missing on a player...