Dwight Clark ALS..

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

Ex-49ers legendary receiver Dwight Clark diagnosed with ALS
Dwight Clark, the former 49ers star best known for his leaping TD catch that won the NFC Championship Game in 1982, says he has been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease.

He disclosed his diagnosis of the disease, also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Sunday in a statement posted on the website of former 49ers owner Ed DeBartolo Jr.

"In September of 2015, I started feeling weakness in my left hand," Clark wrote. "I was mildly paying attention to it because since my playing days, I've constantly had pain in my neck. I was thinking it was related to some kind of nerve damage because it would just come and go.

"After months of tests and treatment, I got some bad news," he continued. "I was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. I have ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Those words are still very hard for me to say."
Clark said he doesn't know if playing football caused the disease but he suspects that is the case. ALS has in recent years been linked to chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, the degenerative brain disease that studies have linked to athletes and others with a history of repetitive brain trauma, including concussions.

"I've been asked if playing football caused this," Clark wrote. "I don't know for sure. But I certainly suspect it did. And I encourage the NFLPA and the NFL to continue working together in their efforts to make the game of football safer, especially as it relates to head trauma."

The 60-year-old Clark says he has also lost significant strength in his right hand, midsection, lower back and right leg and says he "can't run, play golf or walk any distances'' and that "picking up anything over 30 pounds is a chore.'' He adds "that the disease seems to be progressing more slowly than in some patients.''

Several of Clark's former 49ers colleagues and teammates issued statements to express their sadness at Clark's diagnosis.

"Jennifer and I are saddened by the diagnosis of Dwight," Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana, who played with Clark from 1979-87, said in a statement. "This is a difficult time for Dwight, Kelly and all of us who love him. He is family, and in our continual thoughts and prayers. We hope the public will be cognizant of Dwight's desire for privacy."

DeBartolo also issued a statement of sympathy later Sunday that read: "Dwight has been an integral part of my family's life for decades. We are absolutely devastated. We vow to do everything in our power to support Dwight and Kelly and help them fight this terrible disease."

Hall of Fame wide receiver Jerry Rice also offered his sympathy for his former 49ers teammate.

"DC has done so much for me as a player and friend," Rice wrote in a statement. "My rookie year he showed me how to run that out route! We know him for the catch but he's a great individual who cares about people. Please pray for him Faithful through this adversity!!! I love the guy!!!!"

Also on Sunday, Buffalo Bills Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly took to Instagram in support of Clark after his announcement.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

"I've been asked if playing football caused this," Clark wrote. "I don't know for sure. But I certainly suspect it did. And I encourage the NFLPA and the NFL to continue working together in their efforts to make the game of football safer, especially as it relates to head trauma."
I'm guessing this is going to be a long term sort of response for many former players ... it would be nice if the NFL and independent medical teams could/would work together to come up with at least agreed upon cause and effect and then work on prevention

helmet technology is being addressed, so that is good
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My brother has ALS and has had it (miraculously) for 28 yrs, half of his life. He was given 2-5 yrs to live and has bucked all the odds. he has been in a wheelchair for quite some time. His speech is pretty much not understandable. I can sense of pick out the idea he is throwing out and can finish his thought and answer or respond to what he is trying to say.

He was a test subject years ago. Some expiramental shit was done to him and then it was a case of not knowing if he was getting meds or a placebo. Whatever they did I think it must have helped him.

The guy has a kickass attitude and is still a smartass like he has always been.

This past August, a good buddy of mine was diagnosed with ALS as well. They are linking his condition to being over in Iraq. He was in the Naval Reserves and volunteered to go to Iraq in about 2008. It has attacked him pretty aggressively by the pics I have seen of him.

It is a brutal thing man and hate to see families go thru this. My bro-in-law is a pretty inspiring dude. he would like to write a book about his life with this disease.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Why would Iraq cause your buddies ALS?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4255273/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
?

I'm talking out my ass here alittle, but dont they have limits in the military for like how long you can operate big guns as well, for the subconcussive effects?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Why would Iraq cause your buddies ALS?
Studies being done on vets show they are at a higher risk of being diagnosed with ALS, especiallly those sent over to Iraq, Kuwait.
"We don't know what about service could lead to increased risk of the disease in veterans," said Patrick Wildman, vice president of public policy for the ALS Association. "It could be a variety of factors from head trauma and excessive physical activity to exposures. It also could be a combination of a genetic predisposition with an environmental trigger."
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/11/health/al ... -veterans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was told his was probably the latter, exposure. To what, they did not know. He was also told the rate at which Desert Storm and other middle east conflict vets are being diagnosed is on the rise.

They somewhat believe my bro-in-law could have contradicted the disease when he got sprayed with farm chemicals. They will probably never know for sure, but that is something they have looked at.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4255273/
?

I'm talking out my ass here alittle, but dont they have limits in the military for like how long you can operate big guns as well, for the subconcussive effects?
I have never heard anything like that. I worked with a lot of different branches and specialities, and never heard that.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

oh you're going to make me do the googling, huh.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... n-injuries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the small wearable devices did produce a trove of data on blast exposure that could eventually have helped researchers understand the links between bomb blasts, concussions and brain diseases. And they produced evidence that many service members are exposed to worrisome levels of blast pressure simply by being near a heavy weapon when it's fired.

i swear i read something about this years ago, not for like rocket launchers, but in regards to big field artillery stuff.
Passepartout
Rookie

Hate that for him. As really A.L.S. is really just an beyond awful disease. Hope that there will be a cure for that.
JUNE BUG!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis

That is interesting. Having 2 combat deployments (Afghanistan and Iraq) I have a vested interest in this stuff.

Let me preface this with... I think a lot of the military members blame their medical and mental issues on their service because its an easier then admitting individual faults. I have seen my Soldiers claim issues when they literally where slugs. I had a guy claim PTSD with something that happened to me, he wasn't even there. I often have a jaded side on this type of stuff.

That said there are things that I know cause issues with health after deployments. There is a lot of info on sub concusive blasts causing TBI's and hormonal imbalances. Infact a lot of TBI's, which led to hormonal imbalances, where mistaken for PTSD. Burn pits been shown to cause respiratory and other issues. Obviously there is also a stress issue too.

Its interesting, and scary there is an ALS connection to service members. Obviously TBI's and possibly stress are probably the front runners here, as c to causes. I really wish hormone tests where more common, maybe it would help here, and for sure would help with other issues.

It sucks that you have two members of your family dealing with a terrible illness.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:oh you're going to make me do the googling, huh.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... n-injuries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the small wearable devices did produce a trove of data on blast exposure that could eventually have helped researchers understand the links between bomb blasts, concussions and brain diseases. And they produced evidence that many service members are exposed to worrisome levels of blast pressure simply by being near a heavy weapon when it's fired.

i swear i read something about this years ago, not for like rocket launchers, but in regards to big field artillery stuff.
Oh I know this buddy. To my knowledge there is no "" You got blown up to much" protocol. I firmly believe this is an endocrine system issue. I actually believe a lot of health issues could be mitigate with hormone testing. Hit lots of friends with blown up to much issues.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Here is a link to a newspaper article on my bro-in-law. I am proud of him and his attitude. He is truly a marvel and never feels sorry for himself. Many people could learn from him.

http://www.galesburg.com/x1806119225/A- ... r-25-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Awesome stuff