Josh McCown to the Jets for 1 yr/$13 million

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Suddenly I feel a little better about the deal the Bears gave Glennon.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

What. The. Fuck. Is wrong with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
UOK
Site Admin

Essentially 1-year $6M guaranteed.

They didn't even bring in Cutler, either; he was scheduled to visit later this week.
wab
Mod

I think Cutler ends up in Houston if Dallas keeps bullshitting around with Romo.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

How in the heck Josh parlayed that 5 game stretch for the bears into, what, 25 million is beyond me.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:How in the heck Josh parlayed that 5 game stretch for the bears into, what, 25 million is beyond me.

because he is a competent team player and not some high strung diva?

whatever the reason, I'm happy for the dude ... he had a second coming in the NFL once the Bears pulled him away from his teaching gig
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i didnt want to post this in the cutler thread (even though it's suddenly weirdly revelant), so:

http://deadspin.com/the-jets-are-a-dynasty-of-quarterback-mentorship-1793479172

every now and again it's nice to have a reminder that there are fates worse than being a bear's fan.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:i didnt want to post this in the cutler thread (even though it's suddenly weirdly revelant), so:

http://deadspin.com/the-jets-are-a-dynasty-of-quarterback-mentorship-1793479172

every now and again it's nice to have a reminder that there are fates worse than being a bear's fan.
not quite schadenfreude, because I don't really care about the Jets one way or the other, but I guess it would be a close relative of schadenfreude

maybe coin our own version - Bear-enfreude : the relief one feels in knowing they are not as bad off as others, but still suck
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

sometimes bärenfreude is all we got
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:How in the heck Josh parlayed that 5 game stretch for the bears into, what, 25 million is beyond me.

whatever the reason, I'm happy for the dude ... he had a second coming in the NFL once the Bears pulled him away from his teaching gig
My favorite counter point to this, from twitter.

Josh McCown is 2-20 with 26 fumbles and 24 interceptions since that fluke half-season when Alston and Marshall carried him to relevance.

So is he competent, or just had a fluke streak against super crappy defenses. I don't hate the guy but he really doesn't have any talent.
Passepartout
Rookie

Well he is only good as a backup though!
JUNE BUG!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

My favorite counter point to this, from twitter.

Josh McCown is 2-20 with 26 fumbles and 24 interceptions since that fluke half-season when Alston and Marshall carried him to relevance.

So is he competent, or just had a fluke streak against super crappy defenses. I don't hate the guy but he really doesn't have any talent.

valid point

so what I should have said was he was competent as a member of the Bears while filling in for Cutler, and yes he had some help from his friends to do so
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

according to this, McCown was not the Jets first choice but they settled for him :

Does Jets signing Josh McCown rule out Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky?
Considering what was left on the open market, I feel McCown was the best fit for the Jets. He's a more talented player than Case Keenum and Matt McGloin, and he's a better mentor than Colin Kaepernick and Jay Cutler.

The thing most need to realize, and I feel they're not, is McCown wasn't the top goal for the Jets. Heck, he wasn't their second, third or fourth, either. They wanted Mike Glennon, but the Bears compensated him out of the Jets' price range. They wanted Brian Hoyer, but he chose to reunite with Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco. They were interested in Tyrod Taylor, but he redid his deal with the Bills. They liked Ryan Mallett, but he returned to the Ravens.

This is how things panned out. And it's not the worst thing to happen to the Jets. He can come in, provide some stability, and insurance in case Petty and Hackenberg don't progress as hoped.

It doesn't rule out the Jets draft Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky. If there's one thing I've learned during Maccagnan's two-year run as the Jets' GM, it's no one knows what or how he really feels. Well, maybe his wife Betty, but that's it. He doesn't leak things to the media, nor is he an open book during his few press conferences. He's an incredibly nice guy ... but doesn't say anything.

So the idea anyone thinks they know how Maccagnan feels about Petty or Hackenberg is silly. Same goes for Watson or Trubisky. Maccagnan, and Maccagnan alone, know his true evaluations of those four.

And those evaluations will determine what he does in the NFL Draft.

If Maccagnan falls in love with Trubisky (a private workout is schedule, with a visit expected) or Watson, I could see either being selected at No. 6. Hackenberg or Petty would then be put on the trade block, and the Jets go into 2017 with McCown, Watson/Trubisky, Petty/Hackenberg. If Maccagnan doesn't fall in love, however, he won't draft either.
George Carlin