Eagles, Chris Long reach 2-year deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Eagles, Chris Long reach 2-year deal
The Eagles finished this past season tied for 16th in sacks with 34. Their inability to consistently get pressure on the quarterback with their front four -- a must in defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz's system -- held the unit back. The front office opted to part ways with starting defensive end Connor Barwin this offseason, furthering the need to add to the position.

Long announced before the start of free agency that he wouldn't be returning to the Patriots.

On his Instagram account, Long thanked Patriots fans and expressed his admiration and appreciation for teammates and coach Bill Belichick, before writing, "This has zero to do with money ... it's the right move in my heart because I want to get back to being the player I was before. I'm thankful for my role this year, but as a competitor, I'm itching to do what I do best."

The 6-foot-3, 270-pound Long had signed a one-year contract with the Patriots on March 18, 2016, choosing New England primarily for the chance to compete for a Super Bowl championship after never having been a part of a winning season in the first eight years of his career with the Rams.

He played in all 16 regular-season games, as well as all three playoff games, opening the year as a starter and finishing as a situational pass-rusher.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin