Aaron Hernandez found dead in jail cell

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Aaron Hernandez kills himself in prison
By Aimee Ortiz and John R. Ellement GLOBE STAFF APRIL 19, 2017
Aaron Hernandez comitted suicide in prison Wednesday morning, the Department of Correction said.

According to a statement for the Department of Correction, the former New England Patriot star was discovered hanging in his cell at the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley Massachusetts at approximately 3:05 a.m.

“Mr. Hernandez was in a single cell ina general population unit,” the statement said. “Mr. Hernandez hanged himself utilizing a bedsheet that he attached to his cell window. Mr. Hernandez also attempted to block his door from the inside by jamming the door with various items.”

State Police are investigating and his family has been notified.

The statement said Hernandez was transported to UMass Leominster, where he was pronounced dead at 4:07 a.m. Wednesday.

Hernandez’s suicide comes five days after he was acquitted of murdering two men in Boston in 2012. However, it was still serving a life wihtout parole sentence for murdering Odin L. Lloyd in North Attleborough in 2013.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

no tears should be shed for this moronic waste of space

wasted talent, wasted life, and all because he wanted to be a thug
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Death begets death. Decided it wasn't worth it to serve his sentence and opened up a free cell, taking some taxpayer dollars off the books.

All's well that ends well.
wab
Mod

Meh, there are no words to describe my indifference.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

How this was "national" leading news is beyond me. Oh wait, news and sports always have to lead with tragic, depressing, bad news.

This is not tragic, depressing or bad, how did it get in there?
Passepartout
Rookie

Really good riddance to a piece of garbage.
JUNE BUG!
wab
Mod

Injury Update: Aaron Hernandez (neck) out indefinitely.
CRM 114
Journeyman

Good riddance. Hope hell is hot enough for that coward.
wab
Mod

CRM 114 wrote:Good riddance. Hope hell is hot enough for that coward.
So... not a hall of famer?
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:How this was "national" leading news is beyond me. Oh wait, news and sports always have to lead with tragic, depressing, bad news.

This is not tragic, depressing or bad, how did it get in there?
It's not tragic that Hernandez is dead, but it is tragic the chain of events he set in motion, the pain he caused for the cutting the lives of three people (that we know of) short, only for the coward to take the easy way out.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Whelp... some are reporting that old A-hern left three suicide notes...

1. Daughter
2. Fiance
3. Male Prison Lover
UOK
Site Admin

BamaBear09 wrote:Whelp... some are reporting that old A-hern left three suicide notes...

1. Daughter
2. Fiance
3. Male Prison Lover
"While contents of the notes will not be made available to the public until the investigation of Hernandez’s death is closed, sources close to the case say the letters were addressed to Hernandez’s fiancée, Shayanna Jenkins-Hernandez, his young daughter, Avielle Janelle Jenkins-Hernandez, and Kyle Kennedy, a 22-year-old convicted armed robber, who was believed to be the ex-footballer’s “prison boyfriend,” Newsweek reports."

http://www.vibe.com/2017/04/aaron-herna ... ison-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

Well that's weird.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I'm sure the fiance loved hearing about the prison bf
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Arguments on vacating Aaron Hernandez's conviction for murder set to begin
A Massachusetts judge is set to hear arguments concerning attempts to have former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction tossed out.

Hernandez was found hanging in his cell on April 19, just five days after being acquitted for a 2012 double homicide. Hernandez used a bed sheet that he attached to a cell window to hang himself after first attempting to block the door by jamming the door with several items.

At the time of his death, Hernandez had not exhausted his appeals for his first-degree murder conviction in the 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd, a conviction under Massachusetts law that is automatically appealed to the state's highest court. He was serving a life sentence without parole for that murder.

Hernandez's appellate attorneys want the conviction thrown out under a long standing state principle called “abatement ab initio," which in Latin, means to roll back a process to its beginning. It's a rule stating that a defendant that is deceased will be treated as though they never were convicted of that crime.

Prosecutors in the case say the conviction should stand because Hernandez voluntarily took his own life.

The judgment in the matter could have immediate repercussions in pending civil lawsuits against Hernandez's estate. If Hernandez’s convictions are thrown out, they can't be used against him in any civil case filed.

this is utter bullshit

I agree with the prosecutor that his conviction should stand ... why should he get a clean slate after offing himself?
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:Arguments on vacating Aaron Hernandez's conviction for murder set to begin
A Massachusetts judge is set to hear arguments concerning attempts to have former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction tossed out.

Hernandez was found hanging in his cell on April 19, just five days after being acquitted for a 2012 double homicide. Hernandez used a bed sheet that he attached to a cell window to hang himself after first attempting to block the door by jamming the door with several items.

At the time of his death, Hernandez had not exhausted his appeals for his first-degree murder conviction in the 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd, a conviction under Massachusetts law that is automatically appealed to the state's highest court. He was serving a life sentence without parole for that murder.

Hernandez's appellate attorneys want the conviction thrown out under a long standing state principle called “abatement ab initio," which in Latin, means to roll back a process to its beginning. It's a rule stating that a defendant that is deceased will be treated as though they never were convicted of that crime.

Prosecutors in the case say the conviction should stand because Hernandez voluntarily took his own life.

The judgment in the matter could have immediate repercussions in pending civil lawsuits against Hernandez's estate. If Hernandez’s convictions are thrown out, they can't be used against him in any civil case filed.

this is utter bullshit

I agree with the prosecutor that his conviction should stand ... why should he get a clean slate after offing himself?
Because if he's convicted, his estate is screwed. It opens his estate up to civil litigation. If the conviction is thrown out, the money that the Pats owe him gets put into an irrevocable trust with a spendthrift provision for his daughter.

It's theoretically why he offed himself. He's a dirtbag, but his daughter shouldn't suffer.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yes his daughter shouldn't suffer. However being rich or not rich doesn't mean she would suffer. Legally he killed that guy. The courts should uphold that.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:It's theoretically why he offed himself. He's a dirtbag, but his daughter shouldn't suffer.
he chose to make his daughter suffer with his chosen lifestyle

while I agree she shouldn't continue to suffer, I disagree that Hernandez should somehow benefit from this mess
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:It's theoretically why he offed himself. He's a dirtbag, but his daughter shouldn't suffer.

while I agree she shouldn't continue to suffer, I disagree that Hernandez should somehow benefit from this mess
He's dead. How can he continue to benefit?

And I'm not suggesting that being rich/not being rich equates to suffering. I'm just explaining why they want the conviction thrown out.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

by no longer being legally guilty of the murder he committed ... which would be an insult to the family of the guy he murdered
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

by no longer being legally guilty of the murder he committed ... which would be an insult to the family of the guy he murdered
This isn't an argument. You act like I'm standing up for him.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

This isn't an argument. You act like I'm standing up for him.

no argument intended ... I was simply answering the question that you asked
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Judge throws out Aaron Hernandez’s conviction in 2013 murder
FALL RIVER, Mass. — Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez’s conviction in a 2013 murder can be erased because he died before his appeal was heard, a judge ruled Tuesday.

Judge E. Susan Garsh said case law in Massachusetts has long established that defendants who have not had the merits of their appeals decided before they die have the right to have their convictions vacated. She said she was compelled to follow it.

The former New England Patriots tight end hanged himself in his cell in a maximum-security prison last month while serving a life sentence on a first-degree murder conviction in the death of semi-professional football player Odin Lloyd. He died five days after being acquitted in a separate double slaying in 2012.

Lawyers for Hernandez had argued that the state’s highest court had applied the legal doctrine “without exception,” even in cases of suicide. They said his conviction wasn’t considered final because the automatic appeal he was entitled to had not been heard at the time of his death.

Prosecutor Patrick Bomberg had argued that Hernandez “should not be able to accomplish in death what he could not accomplish in life.”

But Garsh rejected the argument that Hernandez had forfeited his right to appeal by taking his own life, saying no one can ever know for sure why Hernandez killed himself.

her ruling does follow the laws as written for Massachusetts ... I still side with the prosecutor's argument
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

It's like John Calipari have his Final Fours stripped. Sure, it says on paper it never happened, but we all know how it went down.