Adrian Peterson, Saints finalize two-year contract

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Adrian Peterson, Saints finalize two-year contract
Adrian Peterson found a new home.

The face of the Minnesota Vikings for a decade finalized a two-year deal with the New Orleans Saints that will pay Peterson $7 million, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via a source informed of the situation. The deal included $3.5 million guaranteed in 2017. Rapoport added the Saints were the only team to formally offer a deal to Peterson this offseason.

In a statement to ESPN's Josina Anderson, the veteran running back said he fully evaluated the Saints' chances to compete this season and came out convinced he could contribute to a winner.

"I am excited to be joining the New Orleans Saints," Peterson said. "I'm really looking forward to this opportunity. Most importantly, I chose this team because it just felt right within my spirit. Additionally, my wife and family added their confirmation with the same feelings. On offense, it goes without saying that the Saints are really solid behind Drew Brees. I feel like my skill set can make them even more dominant as a unit.

"They have a great offensive line, which is something that stood out to me as well. I could tell from talking to head coach Sean Payton over the last two weeks that he did his due diligence in evaluating how I could contribute. I also did a lot of homework on the defense as well. While I know that injuries have played a role in performance, I also see areas of potential with a lot of younger guys having the ability to step up. Lastly, it goes without saying that the Saints have an amazing fan base and I look forward to making them proud and creating everlasting memories."

Peterson's average salary of $3.5 million places him 22nd among running backs this year, per Spotrac.com, behind the likes of Frank Gore ($4M), Theo Riddick ($3.85M), Bilal Powell ($3.75M) and Ryan Mathews ($3.6M). Peterson will also earn less than incumbent Saints starter Mark Ingram.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Not a bad signing I guess. Just sort of feels like when Emmitt Smith tried to drag out his career.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:Not a bad signing I guess. Just sort of feels like when Emmitt Smith tried to drag out his career.
Agreed, he is on the downhill slide.