Lions keep seeing something in Bears D-Line castoffs

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bob Quinn, Lions keep seeing something in Bears D-Line castoffs
ALLEN PARK -- It can often feel like the Detroit Lions and the Chicago Bearas check each other's transaction report to figure out which players to go after next.

When the Lions had to elevate quarterback Jake Rudock to the active roster to keep him from being signed away, the interested team was the Bears. It's a pinball game that continued with Joique Bell going between teams and Michael Burton and Johnthan Banks heading straight to Chicago from Detroit.

This has become especially true about the way the Lions are patching up their defensive line. They've done it bargain-bin style this offseason, and the bulk of the new additions have been former Bears in Cornelius Washington, Bruce Gaston and Ego Ferguson.

These are players the last-place Bears chose to move on from. But they help represent Lions general manager Bob Quinn's approach to addressing the pass rush that finished 30th in the league in sacks last year.

The NFL's salary-cap structure and limitations to roster sizes and draft picks force teams to prioritize certain areas over others. They create different paths to winning. In an offseason in which many expected the Lions to seek out defensive line help, they prioritized the pass protection for quarterback Matthew Stafford as well as setting up the future of the secondary.

As a result, they signed some less-heralded defensive linemen like Akeem Spence, Jordan Hill and the former Bears. They didn't spend a draft pick on the position group until the sixth round.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Be cool to see Corn Wash succeed. Always liked the guy and hoped he would make it.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Be cool to see Corn Wash succeed. Always liked the guy and hoped he would make it.
might you feel a bit differently if he is the one pancaking Glennon in the Bears backfield?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

It'd be bitter-sweet for sure. In this era of FA, the team still comes first, but I still like to see certain guys make a name.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

It's not rocket science. These guys are all young players, with upside, that were either forced out due to scheme changes or injury. Or both. The Lions have seen these guys twice a year for a few years.

There's never any articles about all the Bears that end up playing for NE.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Cornelius Washington is one of my favorite players.