Roommates Trubisky, Shaheen forming bromance

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Bears rookie tight end Adam Shaheen likes to hang out with quarterback Mitch Trubisky. But he doesn’t wait up for his new roommate.

“He’s a good roommate; he’s a great guy,” Shaheen said during the Bears’ three-day minicamp this week.
“[But] he’s not there much. He’s here [at Halas Hall] till 9:30 p.m. to 10.

“By that time, I might be asleep. He’s in here learning. The quarterback’s got obviously the most to learn, and he’s in here pretty much the whole time.”

The Bears surely love that about Trubisky. But the team also likes how their first- and second-round picks from this year are connecting on and off the field.

“Awesome dude,” Trubisky said of Shaheen.

“He’s a good dude,” Shaheen said of Trubisky.

Trubisky and Shaheen got to know each other immediately after they were drafted. The team put them in the same hotel room together for rookie minicamp and the offseason program.

In a way, it was a football move. And Shaheen knows it.

“I had a great relationship with my quarterback in Ashland,” he said.

That would be Travis Tarnowski, a standout at the Division II level. Together, Shaheen and Tarnowksi were a prolific duo at Ashland. Shaheen also wouldn’t have developed into an NFL-caliber player without him.

Shaheen quickly impressed Trubisky.

“[Shaheen] loves the grind,” Trubisky said. “He’s another great teammate, so I think if we just keep bringing in those high-character guys here and keep building on each other, keep getting better, we can do some good things around here.”

Of course, that’s what the Bears hope they will do. Trubisky will bide his time behind starter Mike Glennon, but Shaheen is already working with the first-team offense.

“[Shaheen has] picked things up very quick,” coach John Fox said.

Trubisky has helped with that. Trubisky’s non-stop work habits are rubbing off on Shaheen, while Trubisky said his daily routine has improved thanks to Shaheen. That starts with going to bed early.

“He wants to learn, I want to learn,” Trubisky said. “We just got to keep getting better and keep studying it. This is our job, and we love what we do.”

Trubisky’s and Shaheen’s Ohio roots only strengthen their connection. They cheered on the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals, while many teammates rooted for the Golden State Warriors.

“[Trubisky is] one of those guys that not only can hang out and be great on the football field, but you can go back and go to dinner with, go see a movie [with],” Shaheen said. “[He can] turn it off for the evening.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/a-be ... -fast/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

that's cool but I'm more interested in the chemistry they create on the field ... I can see Shaheen as a favorite 3rd down target for sure
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Wounded Bear
MVP

Super smart for the team to not only draft a big tight end when drafting a QB, but a really great move to have them room together. I think that does make for an on and off the field chemistry that will hopefully pay dividends in on field production. It doesn't guarantee it, but it's nice attempt to jump start that type of chemistry.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:Super smart for the team to not only draft a big tight end when drafting a QB, but a really great move to have them room together. I think that does make for an on and off the field chemistry that will hopefully pay dividends in on field production. It doesn't guarantee it, but it's nice attempt to jump start that type of chemistry.
I agree with all the above.

But an article where they ask each teammate about the other and they sing each other's praises? Pffffffft. That means nothing. If those guys couldn't stand each other, they'd never say it to the media.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Mikefive wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:Super smart for the team to not only draft a big tight end when drafting a QB, but a really great move to have them room together. I think that does make for an on and off the field chemistry that will hopefully pay dividends in on field production. It doesn't guarantee it, but it's nice attempt to jump start that type of chemistry.
I agree with all the above.

But an article where they ask each teammate about the other and they sing each other's praises? Pffffffft. That means nothing. If those guys couldn't stand each other, they'd never say it to the media.
True. But they both went into quite a bit of detail about each other, which tells me they seem to genuinely like being around each other. They didn't have to get into a bunch of specifics, like Shaheen mentioning Trubisky is staying at Halas Hall until 9:30 or 10 pm. He could have just been real brief - but he wasn't. That tells me a little bit more. Sure, if they truly hated each other they wouldn't say it directly to the media, but I think based on their answers it seems as if they are building that off the field chemistry.
Never Die Easy