Derek Carr Signs Highest-Paid Player Contract

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Derek Carr Signs Raiders Contract, QB Reportedly Is NFL's Highest-Paid Player
While he's still signed for another season, the Oakland Raiders wasted little time rewarding quarterback Derek Carr for his strong performance this season.

Carr confirmed Thursday via Twitter that he signed an extension:

Derek Carr @derekcarrqb

Now it's done! From the jump I've wanted to be a Raider 4 life. One step closer to that! Blessed!!! Business done! Let's just play now!!!
6/22/2017, 10:09:05 AM

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Carr and the Raiders agreed to terms on a five-year extension worth $125 million on Thursday, which would make him the highest-paid player in league history.

He now currently eclipses Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, who averages nearly $24.6 million annually, per Spotrac.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Jesus. He's not THAT good.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I agree. The new NFL and dumbass owners. Sickening the money that gets thrown around , because....
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I guess beer in Oakland will now be $10 a bottle ... or more
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

I should dredge up that old post where I put Carr as a potential super bowl winning QB. He can now cross himself off that list.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I should dredge up that old post where I put Carr as a potential super bowl winning QB. He can now cross himself off that list.

???

so because he is now making mega bucks he is no longer a potential Super Bowl winning QB?

I don't get it
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Maybe screwing up the cap and not allowing Raiders to sign a more complete roster?
malk
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
malk wrote:I should dredge up that old post where I put Carr as a potential super bowl winning QB. He can now cross himself off that list.

???

so because he is now making mega bucks he is no longer a potential Super Bowl winning QB?

I don't get it
Yup, pretty much as Otis says. My working theory is that once a team signs a QB to a top contract they can't round out their roster enough to compete.

See www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11061
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

They do say that the contract was structured so that they can sign others without a problem. Not sure what that means really, maybe it puts less money against the cap somehow? That is beyond my understanding. I like Carrs game and hope he does well and rewards that team. That was a horrid way to go out last season. That said, he also states he is going to give a lot to charity, so there is that....