Calvin Johnson says he fell victim to Lions' futility

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Calvin Johnson says he fell victim to the same Lions' futility that claimed Barry Sanders
Calvin Johnson finally shed some more light on his decision to retire in 2016. He told the Italian press on Tuesday that the Detroit Lions’ futility had a lot to do with it. It’s a familiar refrain in Detroit. And the Lions hold the distinction of chasing TWO Hall of Famers out of the game.

From Johnson’s interview (via the Detroit News):

“I was stuck in my contract with Detroit, and they told me, they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them. I didn’t see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn’t worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall … and not going anywhere.

“It’s the definition of insanity.”

Football is a brutal game. Johnson was paid a fair rate for his level of amazingness — signing a $132 million deal in 2012. The only other reason players subject themselves to this level of physical abuse is for the chance to win the greatest prize in sports.

Where have we heard all of this before? Go back to 1999 when Barry Sanders retired, perfectly healthy and probably with another season or two of greatness in his legs.

The Lions actually sued Sanders to recoup $5.5 million of bonus money from his contract, which is probably the same amount of money the Ford Family spent on Thanksgiving dinner that year. Sanders offered to pay the money back if they would release him, and his agent tried to get them to trade the legendary running back. But it was fruitless. The Lions held fast in their shittiness; Sanders’ NFL career was over.

Megatron’s career is over too. Thanks, Lions.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

For as bad as the Bears have been, you don't see this shit happening in Chicago.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Ex-Lion Dan Orlovsky sides with Megatron in latest dust-up
Dan Orlovsky, a backup quarterback who spent four seasons as Johnson’s teammate in two different stints with the Lions, wrote on Twitter today that Johnson always gave the Lions everything he had, even when they were 0-16.

“He is as classy, hard working and stand up as anyone that passed through our league ever,” Orlovsky wrote. “He was a part of some historically tough times. That would weigh and wear on anyone. Even Megatron.”

The Lions made Johnson the highest-paid receiver in NFL history, but Orlovsky said it’s understandable if the money wasn’t enough for Johnson to tolerate losing, and that if Johnson didn’t feel respected by the Lions, he’s entitled to feel that way.

“Sports are fun when you win. Period. When your greatness is covered by your teams’ lack of it effects you immensely,” Orlovsky wrote. “He was once on a lifetime player. He should’ve been treated that way outside of $. If he feels he wasn’t, he’s probably right. . . . He should’ve been revered from top down.”

Johnson always had the respect of his teammates throughout his NFL career, so it’s unsurprising to see teammates coming to his defense now. We so far haven’t heard, however, whether players who are still on the Lions agree with Johnson’s belief that losing wore on them — or whether they think he should have stuck with them last year, when they made the playoffs and could have used a superstar receiver to help them win in the postseason.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:For as bad as the Bears have been, you don't see this shit happening in Chicago.
Well, in fairness the Bears haven't had players with that level of talent in decades. At least offensively.

If the Bears were going 0-16, 3-13, 2-14 etc etc every year while Urlacher was here, there's no doubt in my mind that he would have called it quits before his body told him to.