Jets claim Lucky Whitehead off waivers after Cowboys cut WR

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cowboys suggest Lucky Whitehead release resulted from accumulation of mistakes
The Cowboys have had a bizarre week of so, culminating in Monday’s news of a shoplifting arrest for receiver Lucky Whitehead, a clumsy “it wasn’t me” defense pushed to the infobots by Whitehead’s agent, and a swift decision by the team to reject the claim of mistaken identity and to cut Whitehead.

Regardless of whether there’s any merit to David Rich’s Eddie Murphy/Shaggy claim that Whitehead isn’t the guy who was arrested in Whitehead’s home county in Virginia, it’s clear that it wasn’t a one-strike, zero-tolerance move to move on from him.

“We evaluate the situation and how it was handled by the player after the incident and we evaluate the body of work,” coach Jason Garrett said Monday, via Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “When you have someone in your program in this environment and they don’t grow, and they make the same mistakes over and over again, it’s time to move on.”

Cowboys executive Stephen Jones insisted that the release of Whitehead wasn’t aimed at sending a message to the roster, and that it was driven only by his situation.

“We looked at it, we looked at his full body of work and we made a decision to move on,” Jones said, per Hill. “We feel like we’ve given Lucky a lot of different chances along the way going back to last year and I think just decided it was time to go in a different direction.”

Still, the question of whether Whitehead actually was arrested for shoplifting, and then failed to show up in court, remains unresolved. Regardless of any flight records that seem to show Whitehead wasn’t even in Manassas, Virginia at the time of the arrest, police typically gather, you know, photos and fingerprints of people who are arrested. And so if it wasn’t Whitehead who was arrested, that should be fairly easy to prove.

While it doesn’t matter for the Cowboys, it’s going to matter for anyone who may be considering claiming him on waivers. Because if Whitehead was indeed arrested and failed to show up in court on the charges and is now trying to suggest some sort of reverse fall guy situation, it’s all the more reason to avoid him.

weird story ... was the guy arrested this ex-Cowboy or not?

then there's this bit :
“When you have someone in your program in this environment and they don’t grow, and they make the same mistakes over and over again, it’s time to move on.”
so will they apply this standard to all their players? because one of their stars is on this same path

* edited to change thread title
Last edited by Boris13c on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Turns out it wasn't Whitehead and the charges were dropped today. I see the union filing a massive grievance over this one.

I guess Lucky really...isn't.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Turns out it wasn't Whitehead and the charges were dropped today. I see the union filing a massive grievance over this one.

I guess Lucky really...isn't.

yeah ... interesting the Cowboys were so quick in nailing Whitehead ... not so quick on the trigger when one of their stars screws up

Police say Lucky Whitehead was misidentified; arrested man gave false information
The Prince William County (Virginia) Police Department said in a statement Tuesday that the man charged with shoplifting on June 22 was not former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Lucky Whitehead, as they had originally indicated.

Whitehead and his agent, David Rich, said Monday that this was a case of mistaken identity. Rich cited flight records to prove that Whitehead wasn't in Virginia at the time of the incident.

The Cowboys, however, released Whitehead and cited a pattern of behavior in justifying the move.

"Completely surprised," Rich told ESPN's Todd Archer on Tuesday of the original report. "Everybody was, the Cowboys, Lucky, myself. That's what drove this thing. From the first call it was a breakup tone. I've been broken up with before, and I know what that sounds like. It was, 'You better have a darn good reason for this,' and we were completely blindsided by it."

The Prince William County Police Department said the man who was arrested didn't have identification with him. He verbally provided the name, date of birth and Social Security number of Rodney Darnell Whitehead Jr. to police officers, who checked the information through the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles database.

Police also compared the DMV photo on file with the man in custody and "acted in good faith that, at the time, the man in custody was the same man matching the information provided."

"At this point, the police department is also confident in confirming that Mr. Whitehead's identify was falsely provided to police during the investigation," according to the statement.

The police are currently seeking the correct identity of the man arrested on June 22 for allegedly taking items from a Wawa convenience store without paying at approximately 1:30 a.m.
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Add this to the fact that Whitehead's dog was freaking kidnapped and held for 100k ransom...dude has had a shit week.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Cue the locust...
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Jets claim Lucky Whitehead off waivers after Cowboys cut WR
The New York Jets have claimed wide receiver Lucky Whitehead off waivers from the Dallas Cowboys, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Whitehead, 25, was placed on waivers this week after news broke that Whitehead had been charged for shoplifting in West Virginia in June. Whitehead proclaimed his innocence, which was confirmed by the Prince William County Police Department on Wednesday when it confirmed the man arrested was not Whitehead.
George Carlin