NFL formally offers to study marijuana as pain management

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

NFL formally offers to study marijuana as pain management option with NFLPA
It’s been clear for some time that the NFLPA believes in the potential of marijuana as a therapeutic tool for players’ recovery. The NFL has been less open to the idea with commissioner Roger Goodell calling it “addictive” and “unhealthy” as recently as April.

However, the NFL appears ready to at least explore the possibility of marijuana use as a medical tool with the help of the NFL Players Association.

According to Mark Maske of the Washington Post, the NFL sent a letter to the NFLPA offering to work jointly to study the possibility of marijuana use as a pain management tool.

“We look forward to working with the Players Association on all issues involving the health and safety of our players,” said Joe Lockhart, the NFL’s executive vice president of communications.

The NFLPA has been looking into the feasibility of its use already, believing it could be a safer option than opiates to combat the physical pounding players take on a weekly basis. They have yet to respond to the NFL’s request for possible cooperation at this point.

Both Jerry and Stephen Jones of the Dallas Cowboys said they wanted the NFL to begin re-examining its stance on marijuana use earlier this year. That process now appears to be taking hold, at least in an exploratory fashion.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I hope we're not far off from this becoming a controlled legal substance federally, and recreationally enjoyed legally state-by-state. It's so pointless to keep it illegal.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

This "study" will probably consist of determining how accepting their advertisers are, and whether movement on this issue means Congress starts probing the NFL's limited anti-trust exemption again.

(Yes, I am a dyed-in-the-wool cynic, especially on this issue.)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not that there isn't enough studies out there already that say it works.

Legalize the shit!! Hell my brother self medicates and it works wonders for his high blood pressure.
G08
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:This "study" will probably consist of determining how accepting their advertisers are, and whether movement on this issue means Congress starts probing the NFL's limited anti-trust exemption again.

(Yes, I am a dyed-in-the-wool cynic, especially on this issue.)
You're not wrong, it's all bullshit politics.

The only reason marijuana was deemed a controlled substance schedule I was because "there was a lack of evidence indicating it was NOT harmful" (note: nowhere does it say it was found to be harmful).

Unbelievably fucking stupid, and don't think for one second that Big Pharma is okay with marijuana becoming a schedule 2-6... they'll watch their beloved opiate sales plummet.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

it's amazing some of the things this country is so hypocritical about

one would think with the screaming headlines about the nationwide opioid "epidemic" that anyone and everyone would be embracing natural alternatives to prescribed medications if there are such things readily available

there is no medical reason marijuana should be banned, and many legitimate medical studies that say quite the contrary

as for its recreational uses, I personally believe it to be less harmful, and less dangerous, than alcohol ... yet I can go into a bar almost any time of day to get shitfaced while smoking pot in my own home can get me busted

weird shit
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

well this makes sense, the nfl has some money to spend after backing out of the concussion research they were supposed to fund.
Wounded Bear
MVP

I've been studying this issue for years and I'd be more than happy to share my data with the NFL. Now, where the hell did I put that data....
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson