Since he won't go away, a Poll on Kaepernick

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Kaepernick remains unemployed by the NFL because :

* He sucks, and yes the Arena League guy is a better option.
5%
* He created a political sideshow and is being blackballed as a result.
11%
* He is not terrible, but is not good enough to accept the political sideshow that would come with him.
58%
* There is no excuse for him being unemployed.
21%
* Other
5%

Total votes: 19
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote:It looks like straight bullshit to me. I guess bullshit is weird, if you look at it closely enough. But mostly...it's just bullshit.
well with Ray Lewis as the source, bullshit does seem to be the first thing that comes to mind
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

the girlfriend angle is hilarious. brent grimes still has a job and his wife miko is legit crazy.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:Simply put, Kap made a political while at work. Whether you agree or not with his stance and how he's gone about it, how many of us would get away with making a political statement at our place of employment or struggle to find a new job after having done that?

valid point, however, now others are joining in a similar show of political views and they are not being admonished or unemployed

with that in mind, since the political statement protest is becoming a norm, does that change how Kaepernick should be viewed?

I voted in the poll as him not being terrible but not worth the headache due to his political actions ... but since the political part now seems to be void, does that change how he should be viewed? playing wise, he is better than some of the schlubs we've been seeing signed as backups ... and is probably better than a few who will be starting on opening day (Jaguars and Jets for instance)
It really comes down to playing ability vs. "distraction". Michael Bennett sits but is still employed because he's one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL.

Kap is better than any quarterbacks on the Jaguars or Jets roster, but how much better would he make them? If Blake Bortles can get Jacksonville to a 4-12 record but Kap would only improve them to a 6-10 or 7-9 team, is it worth it? If Kap's ability immediately made one of those teams vying for the No. 1 pick into a playoff contender, he'd be on a roster. Winning silences just about everything.

The NFL isn't exactly an equal opportunity employer.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:Simply put, Kap made a political while at work. Whether you agree or not with his stance and how he's gone about it, how many of us would get away with making a political statement at our place of employment or struggle to find a new job after having done that?
But how many workplaces essentially force you to listen to the national anthem every week? If my workplace required me to do that I wouldn't and there's no way they could get rid of me for it (or if they did I'd be getting a hell of a payday at tribunal!).
Me personally, having worked in sports journalism the past couple years, I've had to hear the national anthem 5-6 times a week. And I was informed by my employer that if I didn't stand for the anthem at a sporting event I was covering, I was immediately out of a job.

Plus sitting during the anthem isn't the only way an employee could make a political statement while on the job and then have to deal with any consequences.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton