Deshaun Watson made a strong case for Texans’ starting job

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Deshaun Watson made a strong case for Texans’ starting job in debut
The Houston Texans lost their preseason opener to the Carolina Panthers, 27-17. It was an overall disappointing night for an offense that put up 410 net yards but found the end zone just twice. Yet despite the loss, the team must be happy with the performance of first-round rookie quarterback Deshaun Watson.

Locked in a camp battle with Tom Savage, Watson didn’t see the field until the second quarter, working mostly with the second unit. Savage got the start and did just fine for himself, completing 9 of 10 passes for 69 yards. However, he was stiff in the pocket and slow to make decisions, two areas where Watson didn’t struggle.

When Watson hit the field, he immediately showed his ability to improvise and make plays on the fly. It’s a good thing he has that skill, because Houston’s offensive line rarely gave him time.

It was in the third quarter where Watson had his best performance of the game. He marched the Texans down the field on a 15-play, 75-yard drive, carving up the Panthers with quick, efficient passes. Watson didn’t really challenge the defense on deep throws, preferring to work underneath, but it was more than enough as he calmly converted third downs and kept the chains moving at a methodical pace.

Watson capped off the drive himself with a rushing touchdown, but it wasn’t just any regular scramble. Watch him patiently wait in the pocket, looking for options until there’s an opening in the middle of the field. With the secondary occupied by coverage assignments, Watson is able to sprint in untouched.

That’s the kind of unique element Watson adds to the Texans’ offense, one they don’t really have with Savage under center.

Watson finished his night with 15-of-25 passing, 179 yards, and the one touchdown. He averaged a decent 7.2 yards per attempt and, more importantly, avoided turnovers. Taking care of the ball and not making careless mistakes will be crucial if Watson hopes to win the Week 1 job, and he passed that test with flying colors on Wednesday.
you have to follow the link posted to see the videos ... tried to link to them here and got the "url not supported" error

he looked good on the highlights
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

He didn't do much against second stringers. When he started to play well was against the 3rd 4th guys. Imo anyway
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I hope the guy does well. Interviews I have seen he comes across like a good dude. For some reason he was who I was hoping the Bears picked.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Otis Day wrote:I hope the guy does well. Interviews I have seen he comes across like a good dude. For some reason he was who I was hoping the Bears picked.
I thought that was the direction we were going. I read a few pre-draft day articles saying that we were heavily scouting DW. When the Trubisky pick came through, I was glad we took a QB, but shocked it wasn't Watson.

Was that the scouting team delivering a little misdirection? Or am I giving the staff too much credit?

I, too, like the kid. Hope he does well.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:
Otis Day wrote:I hope the guy does well. Interviews I have seen he comes across like a good dude. For some reason he was who I was hoping the Bears picked.
I thought that was the direction we were going. I read a few pre-draft day articles saying that we were heavily scouting DW. When the Trubisky pick came through, I was glad we took a QB, but shocked it wasn't Watson.

Was that the scouting team delivering a little misdirection? Or am I giving the staff too much credit?

I, too, like the kid. Hope he does well.

I saw him a lot during his college career and I liked what I saw ... and if you go read his thread in the War Room forum you'll see all the reasons why

he was my pick for the Bears but as we all know, other events transpired ... Pace got the one he wanted, so I hope Trubisky becomes what we are all hoping for

would be nice to see Watson vs Trubisky in a Super Bowl not long from now
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin