Broncos sign Osweiler

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Brock Osweiler is thrilled to be back in Denver as backup QB
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Brock Osweiler was so excited to be back in Denver he swore he would have signed for a buck, played in bare feet or even been the Broncos’ water boy.

Of course, he’s getting $16 million this season, all but $775,000 of it from the Cleveland Browns, so he’s good for a round of drinks, and he had his pick of shiny white cleats in his locker next to starter Trevor Siemian .

The Broncos brought back Peyton Manning’s longtime backup 18 months after he bolted to Houston in free agency because Paxton Lynch sprained his throwing shoulder four days after losing the starting QB job to Siemian for the second straight summer.

After passing his physical, signing his contract, diving into the playbook and hitting the practice field, Osweiler held an extraordinary nine-minute news conference Monday stuffed with honesty, humility and humor — but no heartache.

He said he has no regrets for leaving Denver in the first place but “I’m ecstatic to be back here” after an odyssey that included a playoff win, a benching, a blow-up, a trade, the birth of his daughter and a release to go with all those fat paychecks.

Well, maybe he’d think better of declaring the Texans gave him the best opportunity to win. But Osweiler’s not one to look back.

He is one to take stock, though.

“It’s kind of like that old deal when you’re a little kid and your mom tells you don’t touch the hot stove,” Osweiler said. “So, what do you have to do as a curious kid? You have to go touch the hot stove and you learn real quick how nice that stove is when it’s not hot.

“Needless to say, I’m very thankful to be back here. My wife and I, we miss Colorado every single day. This is a special place, special organization and a special city.”

Osweiler was once Manning’s heir apparent, but it was Siemian who rose up the depth chart last year when Osweiler signed with the Texans for $37 million in guarantees the same week Manning retired a champion.

After just one season, the Texans traded Osweiler to Cleveland, which cut him over the weekend.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Reminds me of Matt Flynn and the Packers, although it took a little longer for him to find his way back. But he was soon out of the league I believe too.
Wounded Bear
MVP

What is he going to do for them? Put a star on the Bronco Christmas tree?

The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
wab
Mod

Thank god the Broncos have a decent defense.