Saints LS Jon Dorenbos to undergo open heart surgery

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Long snapper Jon Dorenbos to undergo open heart surgery
METAIRIE, La. -- Long snapper Jon Dorenbos will require open heart surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm that was discovered in a follow-up physical after his trade from the Philadelphia Eagles to the New Orleans Saints, according to Saints coach Sean Payton.

Payton credited Saints physician Dr. John Amoss, who first discovered the red flag and "basically saved his life with his findings." Dorenbos, 37, will require surgery "pretty quickly" and will be placed on the non-football injury (NFI) list.

The Saints will bring in long snappers for a Friday audition before their Monday night opener at the Minnesota Vikings. And the trade (for a 2019 seventh-round pick) will likely be rescinded. But Payton stressed that there was "a blessing" to the unfortunate news. He said this was an issue that Dorenbos had "genetically at birth" but couldn't say why it had not been discovered on previous physicals.

Dorenbos spent the past 11 years with the Eagles after starting his career with the Buffalo Bills and Tennessee Titans, and he had become one of the most beloved players among teammates and fans alike. He appeared in a franchise-record 162 consecutive regular-season games in Philly, tying wide receiver Harold Carmichael, and earned two Pro Bowl berths with the Eagles.
that has to be pretty damn scary
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Sometimes things happen for a reason. Pretty lucky to have found it after getting traded.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!