Thoughts on the Aaron Donald holdout.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

My thing is, he's only 3 seasons deep. Sure he's very good, but I'm wondering what he's looking for. And after how the Rams did without him? That couldn't have done him any favors. Granted it was the Luck-less Colts. I know timing of other people contracts can play a part, but no way should he make more than Watt. But what about Earl? Or Von? Or Luke?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

why shouldnt he make more than watt?
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

RustyTrubisky wrote:why shouldnt he make more than watt?
Because Watt took the Texans to the Playoffs in 2012 for one. And he's not even close as far as talent. I can't even believe I'm answering that question...
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

RustyTrubisky wrote:why shouldnt he make more than watt?
Did Aaron Donald have 20+ sacks in his second season? No.

Did Aaron Donald have 20+ sacks in his fourth season? WHAT? He hasn't played his fourth season??
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He needs to do what he thinks is right for him. Get the cash when you can because we all have seen what this game can do to a player.

Would I make him highest paid non-QB? Hell no. Would I pay him more than Watt? hell no.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

well, a few things:

-watt has had some trouble with injuries lately. is this a trend?

-watt signed his deal in 2014. the salary cap then was 133 million. it's now at 167 million. every other position in the nfl takes advantage of this, but for some reason no DT can make more than a DE's contract from three years ago?

-aaron donald was PFF's player of the year in 2015, and pass rusher of the year/defender of the year in 2016. they make a better case than i could of why he deserves whatever he can get:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... his-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

In the words of Brett Farve, you signed the contract.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:In the words of Brett Farve, you signed the contract.
lol, his rookie contract that he has no control over? where his only other option is to not play in the nfl?

no one here in their right mind would be cool with, straight out of college, being told where they have to live and who they have to work for for the next 4-5 years. He has leverage, which so few of his peers do, and it's within his power to use it.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
lol, his rookie contract that he has no control over? where his only other option is to not play in the nfl?

no one here in their right mind would be cool with, straight out of college, being told where they have to live and who they have to work for for the next 4-5 years. He has leverage, which so few of his peers do, and it's within his power to use it.
I don't buy the "no one here in there right mind" argument for a second. It's a highly sought after privilege to play in the NFL.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:

I completely disagree

aside from the amount of money involved, how is that any different than any other college graduate? you find a job, and HOPE it will last 4-5 years so you can get established in the workforce before maybe looking elsewhere ... and where you find your job generally determines where you will live

most coming right out of college have no clue, so having someone provide direction on where to live and work would/should be a blessing to many of them

and whether it is the general workforce or a pro sports team, there are rules and guidelines to follow if you wish to remain employed

Donald is an awesome player, but in this case, is coming across as a whiny bitch along the lines of some punk brat threatening to hold his breath until he turns blue ... so turn blue Donald ... no one will care

and no, you are NOT better than JJ Watt
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Rams All-Pro Aaron Donald back in practice after holdout
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) — One week after Aaron Donald ended his four-month contract holdout, the All-Pro defensive lineman probably will go straight into the Los Angeles Rams' starting lineup.

Most players would struggle with that swift transition. Donald and the Rams know he can do just about anything.

Donald went through his first full practice Wednesday since reporting to the team last weekend, and coach Sean McVay was impressed by his form after missing all of training camp and the preseason. McVay expects Donald to start when the Rams (1-0) host the Washington Redskins on Sunday, although nobody is sure how much he will play.

"I love football, so being away from it definitely was tough," Donald said. "(The holdout) was a decision I made. The way I chose to handle it was the way I chose to handle it. I'm here now."

The three-time Pro Bowl tackle is playing for $1.8 million this season after failing to reach agreement with the Rams on a contract that likely would have made him the highest-paid defensive player in football. He declined to elaborate on his rationale for holding out while under contract to the Rams for the next two seasons, or why he ended the holdout one day before the season opener.

"Just business, that's all," he said.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:well, a few things:

-watt has had some trouble with injuries lately. is this a trend?

-watt signed his deal in 2014. the salary cap then was 133 million. it's now at 167 million. every other position in the nfl takes advantage of this, but for some reason no DT can make more than a DE's contract from three years ago?

-aaron donald was PFF's player of the year in 2015, and pass rusher of the year/defender of the year in 2016. they make a better case than i could of why he deserves whatever he can get:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... his-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[video][/video]