Injuries have made this team so un-fun.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

It's bad enough we had to deal with Mike Glennon.
It's bad enough we have to deal with Leno & Massie.
It's bad enough we have to deal with a lousy coaching staff.

But I don't know how much more I can take regarding injuries. Half the fucking team is gone. Again. Last season was something out of a nightmare, but this season it's entering the realm of hopelessness and despair.

There's no obvious solution. Studies show that natural grass isn't to blame for this. The Bears now have another 12 weeks to go, and god knows how many guys will go down in that time span.

I'm as excited as anyone to watch the rookie develop, but when your roster is 50% gone a month into the season, I just can't find much of a bright side.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

last night was one of the most brutal for injuries I've seen in some time ... I almost expected the Bears to go with a 5-2-4 defensive alignment for the 4th quarter (and maybe they should have) ... and why are Bears ILB's an endangered species?

was happy Long's ankle issue was a seemingly mild ding ... looked a lot worse when he was on the ground

Leno seems to be mentally injured ... if Glennon had started he would have been sacked at least 5 times, and all 5 credited to Leno ... why was he so slow last night?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

This is the John Fox special, he's an old school dude who wants contact in practice and walk-throughs (which I understand) but that's just not how today's NFL works. Are they pussies/weaker now? I don't know, but what I do know is the number of Bears we have injured during walk-throughs is staggering.

This is his Swan Song... he's not going to win this season, his "keep it close and hope we don't fuck up" approach isn't going to cut it with this roster. I'm just going to focus on the development of Mitch Trubisky and some young members of our defense, with the hope and understanding that John Fox, Dowell Loggains, Dave Ragone, and Jeff Rodgers (at minimum) are wiped from the face of this franchise.

Give me a LA Rams kind of reboot... offensive minded head coach, proven/quality defensive coordinator that can run his own show, and for fuck's sake infuse this offense with some TALENT around Mitch and let's fucking go.

The kid made enough plays for us where we should have won this game, and the refs fucked us out of 10 points at minimum. That's my sliver lining.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

it was "un-fun" prior to the injuries and is just more "un-fun" now. This team is so depleted of talent that you just cannot expect much. WRs suck to high heaven, are there any LBs left that are healthy?

Howard still looks good. I am about sick of Cohen and his chicken with its head cut off approach. Fucker run north and quit thinking you are Barry Sanders.

Glad hockey is back on, good distraction from the Bears.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Glad hockey is back on, good distraction from the Bears.

(Blackhawks are 2/14 on the power play)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Yes the PP has sucked but nice seeing the young guys stepping up. Watching and listening to Konroyd, it seems like it is obvious, get traffic in front of the goalie on the PP. why the Hawks don't play this way is beyond me. Leafs game tying goal, traffic in front of the net.

Also, hockey in general, I watch other teams and games as well. Depending on a matchup I will watch about any team play. I like the Leafs young core. I like the Jets young core as well. Good days for hockey ahead.
Vick Ashley
Rookie

UOK wrote:It's bad enough we had to deal with Mike Glennon.

But I don't know how much more I can take regarding injuries. Half the fucking team is gone. Again. Last season was something out of a nightmare, but this season it's entering the realm of hopelessness and despair.

There's no obvious solution. Studies show that natural grass isn't to blame for this. The Bears now have another 12 weeks to go, and god knows how many guys will go down in that time span.

I'm as excited as anyone to watch the rookie develop, but when your roster is 50% gone a month into the season, I just can't find much of a bright side.

While I agree with the thread title I will never understand what the issue is with Leno, and how you can say "we have to deal with him" like he has been some sort of problem? Sure he was literally ****ed in the *** on that one sack but these things can happen to the very best LT but going in to last night Leno had allowed just ten sacks on forty-two games played and only called for twelve penalties. How is that causing you or the bears problems? Are you serious? In four years he is second only to future HOF lock Joe Thomas on those stats. Are you kidding me? There has not been a more solid and consistent starting LT on the bears since Jumbo Covert so I am assuming you would have a problem with him? Shaking my head right now about this especially considering how little Leno is being paid.
UOK
Site Admin

Vick Ashley wrote:

While I agree with the thread title I will never understand what the issue is with Leno, and how you can say "we have to deal with him" like he has been some sort of problem? Sure he was literally ****ed in the *** on that one sack but these things can happen to the very best LT but going in to last night Leno had allowed just ten sacks on forty-two games played and only called for twelve penalties. How is that causing you or the bears problems? Are you serious? In four years he is second only to future HOF lock Joe Thomas on those stats. Are you kidding me? There has not been a more solid and consistent starting LT on the bears since Jumbo Covert so I am assuming you would have a problem with him? Shaking my head right now about this especially considering how little Leno is being paid.
Leno is serviceable, and Bears could do infinitely worse at LT than him, but to me he's a mediocre talent that won't make your team much better. He buys the franchise time to fill out the rest of the broken roster. That is his primary value.

I'll let wab elaborate further, since he loathes Leno infinitely more than I ever will.

Also knock off this "Are you kidding me?" crap. You type and post like a WSCR Bears Monday caller.
Vick Ashley
Rookie

UOK wrote:
Vick Ashley wrote:

Leno is serviceable, and Bears could do infinitely worse at LT than him, but to me he's a mediocre talent that won't make your team much better. He buys the franchise time to fill out the rest of the broken roster. That is his primary value.

I'll let wab elaborate further, since he loathes Leno infinitely more than I ever will.

Also knock off this "Are you kidding me?" crap. You type and post like a WSCR Bears Monday caller.
How exactly do those stats say "servicable" when they are literally top 2 in the entire NFL over the last four years? Not sure if you are being serious here.
wab
Mod

Are you kidding me? I literally can't even.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Are you kidding me? I literally can't even.
:rofl:

wab
Mod

Vick, I've done college level dissertations on why Leno isn't a sustainable LT in the NFL.

The condensed version is that he's too short, too light, and too weak. Historically players in the NFL at his size/position don't hold up. Just ask guys like Willie Colon, Kelvin Beachum, and Garry Williams.

His entire game is based on routing the defender around the QB. He can't just straight up block someone. He's got long arms, decent feet, and has to date been healthy. That's it. If he's asked to straight up pass block someone, his hands drop and he reaches. He doesn't have the recovery strength or base to correct when he's beaten.

He's an illusion that has benefited from QB's that are adept at moving around in the pocket.
Vick Ashley
Rookie

wab wrote:Vick, I've done college level dissertations on why Leno isn't a sustainable LT in the NFL.

The condensed version is that he's too short, too light, and too weak. Historically players in the NFL at his size/position don't hold up. Just ask guys like Willie Colon, Kelvin Beachum, and Garry Williams.

His entire game is based on routing the defender around the QB. He can't just straight up block someone. He's got long arms, decent feet, and has to date been healthy. That's it. If he's asked to straight up pass block someone, his hands drop and he reaches. He doesn't have the recovery strength or base to correct when he's beaten.

He's an illusion that has benefited from QB's that are adept at moving around in the pocket.

That is interesting because the statistics look really, really good but I would like to read more, do you have the dissertations uploaded or linkable?
wab
Mod

Just search for "Leno" on here and you'll see about 3 years worth of me hating him.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Vick Ashley wrote:How exactly do those stats say "servicable" when they are literally top 2 in the entire NFL over the last four years? Not sure if you are being serious here.
Leno is a top 2 LT in the NFL?

please watch more games ... and watch Leno ... no, he doesn't completely suck, but there is no way in hell he is an upper tier LT
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Vick Ashley
Rookie

Boris13c wrote:
Vick Ashley wrote:How exactly do those stats say "servicable" when they are literally top 2 in the entire NFL over the last four years? Not sure if you are being serious here.

please watch more games ... and watch Leno ... no, he doesn't completely suck, but there is no way in hell he is an upper tier LT

Please re-read my post and tell me how I am wrong about his statistics as it pertains to sacks and penalties did not put him second only to Joe Thomas in the NFL over the last four years, and Thomas is 1st. Statistically speaking which was the only thing I was posting about, I do not see what is so "rofl" about the statement and believe it was factually correct going into last night's game.
G08
Hall of Famer

Vick Ashley wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

Please re-read my post and tell me how I am wrong about his statistics as it pertains to sacks and penalties did not put him second only to Joe Thomas in the NFL over the last four years, and Thomas is 1st. Statistically speaking which was the only thing I was posting about, I do not see what is so "rofl" about the statement and believe it was factually correct going into last night's game.
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

On Leno, the truth is somewhere in the middle of a lot of the arguments here. The guy isn't great. He isn't bad either. "Serviceable" sounds like a good description.

What surprised me was how our defense practically fell apart when John Timu went out. Although after further thought, maybe that shouldn't have been so surprising. We were without ILBs 1, 2 and 3. That left Jones at #4 (who has been on the team full time this year), Timu #5 (was cut, practice squaded and activated) and Anderson #6 (who was the last to be activated). All of those guys have been here for 3-4 years.

Coming out of FSU as I recall, Jones was an athletic plus, but was undrafted because he was a mental minus. So no surprise that Timu was calling the signals. Don't recall Anderson ever calling signals. However they did that, the dropoff was obvious and embarrassing. Quite stunning when you're talking about that kind of effect for losing the #5 ILB on your team to another experienced guy.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
YOGABBA
Rookie

I so so so so so agree with you. I was heart broken by the Timu injury yesterday.
docc
Head Coach

Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone

The Faux way..game plan..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:it was "un-fun" prior to the injuries and is just more "un-fun" now. This team is so depleted of talent that you just cannot expect much. WRs suck to high heaven, are there any LBs left that are healthy?

Howard still looks good. I am about sick of Cohen and his chicken with its head cut off approach. Fucker run north and quit thinking you are Barry Sanders.

Glad hockey is back on, good distraction from the Bears.
Hawks look GOOD. Saad and Sharpie jumped in where they left off. You good young talent too. Could be a really fun year.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone

The Faux way..game plan..
Mmmmm...Floyd.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Vick Ashley wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

Please provide the proof source that says that Leno is the #2 LT in the NFL today.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Vick Ashley wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

Please provide the proof source that says that Leno is the #2 LT in the NFL today.
He can't, he's now in the Village of the Banned.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Vick Ashley wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

He can't, he's now in the Village of the Banned.
Oh...just as well.
botfly10
Player of the Month

Agree injuries have made this another blah year. It was weird to be excited for the last game just to fell depressed again. Blah.
malk
Head Coach

It's definitely harsh but with Trevathan on the field we beat the Vikings and he's coming back. Trubisky's development is reason enough to watch the offence and I still think this defence is close to being very good.

Fielding a team with an entire position group out is disheartening but I'm really bloody hoping that doesn't happen too often.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)