No gloom and gloom here....

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I know these have been trying times for the franchise. Heck, more importantly the fans...

Many are hard on Pace. I just don't see it. Actually, I did question a few of his picks i the draft, bet at least 50% of those proved me wrong so far. I do question letting Jeffery walk with no true receiving options, but I do understand the plan. He got a shit sandwich and I do understand the philosophy behind what he is doing. There are things he can't control obviously but I like the general direction the team is going. The one thing he did, which ended up being what his job will depend on... Is Trubisky. He just drafted a guy that will be the best QB any of us seen EVER as a Bear. I see it, and think most of you see it as well. This, and everyone questioned it.....

You can't always bank on injuries. Unfortunately the Bears got clobbered by them. Over and over. But who is to say these WRs would be this terrible if Meideth and White didn't get injured? Wouldn't this change things at least a bit?

Fox is terrible IMO, he needs to enjoy fly fishing. He had a nice career and hope him the best.

But the biggest goal of this team was to get a Franchise QB and feel we have a very good one. We also have two great RBs for the next few years.

I had a large bottle of wine and starting to loose my train of thought... but I am still excited. It's going to be a lot of losses ahead, but I like where we are going.

I know it's hard to be excited for many since it's been a struggle. I understand the negative feelings. But we waited for what we DO have for so long. I believe!!!!!! (And this is coming from a guy that is much like Dennis Quad in major league)
Hematite
Player of the Month

Are you trying to convince us or yourself?
UOK
Site Admin

The fact that there’s a young QB to develop makes these losses easier to stomach, but it’s also a drag to see so much of the roster that’s either hurt, failing to develop, both, or were downright poor acquisitions. Lot of season left though.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Hematite wrote:Are you trying to convince us or yourself?
I'm not trying to convince anyone. I'm just trying to point out positives instead of all the negativity going around here.

Y'all may not see it, but I do.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I am not as optimistic as you. I don't believe I am doom and gloom. Rather logical.

So far Pace had not really improved the team quantitatively. This team is hard to gauge positional talent because of injuries. Pace has drafted a group of starters. Floyd, Goldman, Jackson, Whitehair, Howard, Cohen. They likely could start for a number of teams. He has brought in some FA who will are and will continue to be contributors in Cooper, Hicks, Freeman, Trevathan. I think McPhee was a positive even with the injuries. Yet the team is still bad for a number of reasons.

Trubisky is the focal point. We saw good and bad. It will take some time to evaluate. He showed pose, and a great arm. He showed he is not, or was not trusted, to run an NFL offense yet. Hopefully he progresses. Otherwise it is doom and gloom.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Given this franchise, it's kind of surprising that 90% of this forum isn't drunkposting
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:Given this franchise, it's kind of surprising that 90% of this forum isn't drunkposting

oh we all have pretty much had our moments doing just that ... now when I have the urge I just drink more which then reduces my desire to actually take the trouble to login
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Umbali
MVP

I feel optimistic that Trubisky has a bright future. I dont feel optimistic that this coaching staff can develop him and keep the team from having catastrophic injuries every year. I do like some of Paces moves. Now he needs to move on from Fox
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
wab
Mod

I mean, I think it's a foregone conclusion at this point that unless Fox somehow ends the season at 8-8 and in the discussion for the division, he's probably going to "retire".

And I say that as someone who 8 weeks ago wouldn't have been surprised if they extended Fox.
Hematite
Player of the Month

It's hard not to to be all doom and gloom with this circus franchise. If Trubs works out, then yes, there is hope for the future. But there is a long way to go to really start competing at the upper echelon in this league. Fortunately, Chicago might have a chance to trade out of a top 5 draft pick next year for hopefully a ransom to help fill the multiple talent holes in the lineup.

Fox needs to go, period. I was a huge supporter of Fox originally because at the time just competing at an NFL level would be a huge improvement over the shit show Emery/Trestman put out there. Sadly, we are 3 years down that road and have nothing to show for it.

Pace showed he had brass balls moving up to take Trubisky and soon will have to make a move on his next coach. He will either become a legend in Chicago or join the list of names in the shit pile that have continued the status quo of losing.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I'll be honest. The team wasn't going to be good this year to begin with, and they've been ravaged by injuries, even worse by multiple injuries to specific positions. WR especially, which was the weakest on the roster to begin with is missing 3 of its top 4 planned receivers.

Best case scenario is Trubisky keeps showing improvement, the team loses a few more games and then wins a couple at the end of the year to show promise. Get a draft pick with one of those quarterbacks at the top of the draft and trade out for a haul of picks.

There are some intriguing UFA receivers this offseason worth checking out. If the Bears fix that position and add some healthy edge players, I think they could be in line for a pretty quick turnaround. Still work to do for contending status, but I think they could be a good team by next year if this offseason is a home run. This, of course, is predicated on Trubisky panning out. I am of the mindset that it looks like he will, so my hopes are pretty high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wab
Mod

For as beat up as the defense has been, they haven't played all that bad. I don't like McPhee at all, but it seems like he's starting to bring some pressure. The Bears need some youth there for sure, and they need another legit end opposite Hicks.

And they need health at LB.

If the Bears had ANY luck/talent at WR right now, I think they'd be 3-2.
GSH
MVP

yeah, feel good about the roster moves we have made but I'll always be uneasy until we hire some new goddamn strength and conditioning coaches to get past the non-game related injuries every season.
wab
Mod

GSH wrote:yeah, feel good about the roster moves we have made but I'll always be uneasy until we hire some new goddamn strength and conditioning coaches to get past the non-game related injuries every season.
I'm way more comfortable with Pace in the draft than I am with him in FA. His class of Glennon/Wheaton/Demps kinda sucks, but the good thing about those contracts is that they are pretty easy to get out of after the season.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
GSH wrote:yeah, feel good about the roster moves we have made but I'll always be uneasy until we hire some new goddamn strength and conditioning coaches to get past the non-game related injuries every season.
I'm way more comfortable with Pace in the draft than I am with him in FA. His class of Glennon/Wheaton/Demps kinda sucks, but the good thing about those contracts is that they are pretty easy to get out of after the season.

agreed ... but now we are going to have to rely on his FA judgement if the Bears are going to at least temporarily fill some holes

let's hope he at least adheres to his current plan regarding FA contracts
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:

agreed ... but now we are going to have to rely on his FA judgement if the Bears are going to at least temporarily fill some holes

And honestly, this was a terrible group of free agents overall in the NFL.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

I never wanted Fox to begin with and he has not disappointed me in that regard. With Pace I am on the fence. On the up side a GM has finally gone after a QB high in the draft. I also like the fact he has not sold the farm and overpaid FAs from other teams with long contracts. The negative is outside a handful of FAs he has not gotten much value from those players even at the bargain price tags. As I stated though, he has not dug us in a hole long term with those guys. His first draft, outside of Eddie Goldman, who looks like he may finally have overcome the injury bug, and Adrian Amos who is a really a good backup, that draft has been a bust. To be fair to Pace, that first draft was really based on Emery's scouting reports. Last years draft appears to be better. Floyd looks very promising, but we really don't know who the real Floyd is. Is he the guy we saw against the Vikings or the guy that looked like an average starter the first 4 weeks. I'm optimistic. Whitehair seems to have digressed this year. Is it because of having to be moved around so much this year? Howard was a definite home run. With only being 5 games in for this years rookie crop it is too soon to make any judgement.

My final say is Fox has got to go and Pace should have at least another year or two with a coaching staff of his choosing. Just please don't let it be Sean Peyton.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:

And honestly, this was a terrible group of free agents overall in the NFL.
yeah well, we didn't really need our guys to be so willing to step up and prove that
George Carlin
Wounded Bear
MVP

Sorry mates, I can't bear to watch another game.

Well, in that case, it looks like I'll be in front of the TV again Sunday morning.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
docc
Head Coach

Turned out to be quite a nice watch...

Strong O line with 8 and MORE in the box by a good Ravens D..
ESPN pregame
Ravens hold huge advantage at home.

Chicago has yet to be favored in a game by FPI this season, which will remain the case until Week 13 (vs. 49ers) based on FPI's current projections. The Ravens have more than a 4-1 edge over the Bears on Sunday, which is surprisingly only the sixth-most lopsided matchup of Week 6.

But the scrubs..rookies and whoevers made an interesting game..
Now move on..
Open up more options for Trubs and get a roll out passing game to open even more running holes// Maybe we can get a passing game better to help the run game..
A work in PROGRESS for a change
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I've seen enough in his first 2 starts to feel comfortable that it won't be too much longer before we can see the team winning because of Trubisky

right now he is the manager of a very conservative offense and not the key ... but the training wheels will be coming off sooner or later ... and if the passing game becomes just average it will make the running game even better ... add in a defense that is proving itself every week in spite of injury, and we could see more wins than previously expected

and hey - with Rodgers now out and the Packers mortal, maybe things can turn our way in a much bigger fashion
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Boris put down the crack pipe and don't get ahead of yourself, R E L A X
wab
Mod

A lot of people are bagging on the gameplan yesterday, but I didn't really have a problem with it. I think you have to let him throw, but that Ravens defense is good, and the strength is their secondary. That defense does things that Mitch has never seen in a game before. He was a little wide-eyed out there at times, and I can't blame the staff for protecting him with the run. Plus he had two WR's out there that weren't on the team two weeks ago.

I don't think they come anywhere close to sniffing the division, but I do agree that you'll see the training wheels start to come off in the next few weeks.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

This offense is supposed to feature many 3 and 5 step drop timing patterns to go along with the outside zone running game. Unfortunately, we're not seeing any of that because the wr's can't get open that fast.

No gloom and doom though - when our wideouts start getting separation we're going to be a very difficult offense to stop. Might not be until next year, but it's coming.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote:I've seen enough in his first 2 starts to feel comfortable that it won't be too much longer before we can see the team winning because of Trubisky

right now he is the manager of a very conservative offense and not the key ... but the training wheels will be coming off sooner or later ... and if the passing game becomes just average it will make the running game even better ... add in a defense that is proving itself every week in spite of injury, and we could see more wins than previously expected

and hey - with Rodgers now out and the Packers mortal, maybe things can turn our way in a much bigger fashion
I don't think the Bears have a shot at all at making the playoffs. I do think is somehow they can upset the Panthers they will have a shot at least making a run at playoffs. I think that run would come off short.

I think they are running the offense the way they should be. Trubisky should be starting, but he will need to earn pass attempts by making smart throws. I think he has earned a few more next week then he had this week.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:A lot of people are bagging on the gameplan yesterday, but I didn't really have a problem with it. I think you have to let him throw, but that Ravens defense is good, and the strength is their secondary. That defense does things that Mitch has never seen in a game before. He was a little wide-eyed out there at times, and I can't blame the staff for protecting him with the run. Plus he had two WR's out there that weren't on the team two weeks ago.

I don't think they come anywhere close to sniffing the division, but I do agree that you'll see the training wheels start to come off in the next few weeks.
I agree here. But, while they don't really have a shot at the playoffs they could possibly get in sniffing range.
UOK
Site Admin

staleystarch wrote:
wab wrote:A lot of people are bagging on the gameplan yesterday, but I didn't really have a problem with it. I think you have to let him throw, but that Ravens defense is good, and the strength is their secondary. That defense does things that Mitch has never seen in a game before. He was a little wide-eyed out there at times, and I can't blame the staff for protecting him with the run. Plus he had two WR's out there that weren't on the team two weeks ago.

I agree here. But, while they don't really have a shot at the playoffs they could possibly get in sniffing range.
I don't even care about the playoffs, honestly. That would be insane redemption for this team as they are right now. I'm thinking 6, 7 wins, and in the fight of enough games to where you're a few lucky breaks away from being 8-8/9-7.

The Bears are better than their record, namely because they wasted 4 weeks trying to make Glennon work, and that mistake may have cost them a win or two.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Boris put down the crack pipe and don't get ahead of yourself, R E L A X
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
staleystarch wrote:

I don't even care about the playoffs, honestly. That would be insane redemption for this team as they are right now. I'm thinking 6, 7 wins, and in the fight of enough games to where you're a few lucky breaks away from being 8-8/9-7.

The Bears are better than their record, namely because they wasted 4 weeks trying to make Glennon work, and that mistake may have cost them a win or two.
I don't really expect any playoff action either

but I am hyped enough now to expect more than the 3-5 win season most predicted

if they can get some receiver help, or hey, maybe teach the ones they have how to pay attention to their QB and come back for the ball, things can get interesting
George Carlin
wab
Mod

McBride and Gentry are at least talented. So there's kind of something to be excited for, and Wright has come up big a few times. The top 2 are just so so so raw.