Jets get hosed on TD overturn?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

NFL owes a big explanation on Jets TD-turned-'fumble'
There are times in NFL games when the application of rules doesn't match the eye test. Sunday's controversial overturn of a New York Jets fourth-quarter touchdown is one of those occasions.

Our eyes told us that Jets tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins caught a pass, juggled it upon contact with New England Patriots defensive backs Malcolm Butler and Duron Harmon, and then regained control while barreling into the corner of the end zone. We saw down judge Patrick Turner, standing inches away from the play, confidently raise both arms to signal a touchdown.

Next, we saw an attempt to apply rules developed in a sterile environment that can't always anticipate unusual circumstances. That's where it got incontrovertibly sticky.

As he does on every scoring play, NFL senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron (or one of his staff members) reviewed the touchdown. Replays showed that Butler punched the ball loose as Seferian-Jenkins extended toward the end zone. Seferian-Jenkins ultimately regained control.

In order to be credited with a touchdown, he needed to establish himself in bounds with the ball clearly back in his possession. Otherwise, one of the NFL's most frustrating rules would have to be implemented: A fumble out of the end zone results in a touchback.

Riveron reversed the ruling, a sign that he saw indisputable evidence that Butler jarred the ball loose before Seferian-Jenkins crossed the plane, and that Seferian-Jenkins didn't regain control until after he had stepped out of bounds. The reversal reflected the point differential in the Patriots' 24-17 victory.
I understand why there are rules ... I understand why they need to be enforced

but in the case with the NFL and replay, when the call made does not pass the eye test of what is seen, then there is an issue

I watched this replay several times, and I can't see any evidence of a fumble ... certainly never see the ball on the ground

as far as the ball moving, so what? was it a pass reception? yes ... which means he was then a runner ... and if someone bats the ball but the runner never drops it, it isn't a fumble

I think the Jets got hosed
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin