For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Wow, trigger pulled.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

Niners release Hoyer to make room for Garopollo. Hoyer in turn is expected to join the Pats as Brady's backup.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Interesting that he wasn't just included in the trade.

Also wonder if Belechik just plans to retire when Brady does
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
UOK
Site Admin

The Pats tried to keep Garoppolo. Offered him a starting QB contract in money/years and would keep him AND Brady, but Jimmy wanted playing time more than money, so off to SF with you.

The Browns wanted him badly, but his agent told the Browns he'd never sign an extension to stay in Cleveland, so LOL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think this is going to be huge for San Fran. Garoppolo is PERFECT for what Kyle Shanahan wants to run.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

lynch seems to be doing a really good job.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

this leaves the Patriots without a second QB on the roster temporarily

maybe the Bears can talk them into taking Glennon? the Bears would get the Patriots 3rd string WR and another from the Patriots practice squad :-P
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

9ers cut Hoyer, he will resign with Pats. Florio inferring it was a wink wink deal.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:9ers cut Hoyer, he will resign with Pats. Florio inferring it was a wink wink deal.
Does he have to go through waivers? We could claim Hoyer and cut Glennon...
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Waiver don't apply to Hoyer since he's a vested vet.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Hoyer was initially going to be part of the trade, but there's some rule that blocked him being traded because he had only been with the 49ers for so many games. It's a rule I've never heard of, but since the 49ers planned to trade him, they just cut him so he could sign with the Patriots and complete the deal by going the long way around.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
docc
Head Coach

Coaches get so deep into cliche mode sometimes, they say things that have no practical application to reality. Take Denver Broncos’ Vance Joseph saying he was “excited” to have to turn to Brock Osweiler at quarterback. Nobody buys that.

That’s how we’ll approach San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan’s comment Wednesday about newly acquired quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo that is guaranteed to get too much attention.

“I can’t promise you that he will play this year,” Shanahan said, according to Joe Fann of the team’s website.

The 49ers traded a second-round pick to the New England Patriots for Garoppolo. Garoppolo is no wide-eyed rookie; he’s in his third NFL season. Yes, it takes a while to learn an offense, but there’s no real reason he should sit for eight more games behind C.J. Beathard. That’s doubly true if the 49ers don’t win a game. No matter what Shanahan says, he’s not taking an infamous 0-16 on his résumé while watching Beathard struggle.

But it is true that the 49ers will and should look at the big picture and not rush Garoppolo into the lineup too quickly.

“We didn’t bring Jimmy here to save our season,” Shanahan said, according to Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area. “We brought him here to improve our organization.”

The 49ers have two games before their bye week. It seems like a good bet that Garoppolo starts after the bye, no matter what Shanahan says. There’s a difference between being prudent and being way too careful. You want to get Garoppolo some experience in the offense and with his new teammates before going into the offseason. Shanahan presumably feels the same way, but coaches say weird things sometimes when trying to make a point to the media. Complicating the whole situation is Garoppolo’s impending free agency in March. Not that the 49ers can turn back now, but you’d assume they’d want to see Garoppolo on the field before giving him a long-term deal or going to the last resort of the franchise tag (if the 49ers traded a high second-round pick for Garoppolo and let him walk in free agency, just disband the franchise — not signing or tagging him in March not an option).

Also, while it’s not the first priority, the 49ers need to give their fans something to be excited about. They’re 0-8 and their new stadium regularly has empty seats. Trading for the quarterback of the future and not playing him at all in the second half seems like a good way to drown your fan base in apathy.

That’s probably not going to happen. Garoppolo will likely play this season, no matter what Shanahan was trying to sell at his news conference. It might not be this week, but it’s coming soon. And the longer the 49ers are winless, the sooner it will be.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I know i'm a huge brett kollmann fanboi at this point, but his video about jimmy g's throwing motion he just released is really good! I definitely learned a few things.

[video][/video]
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Whatever we may have thought about Jimmy G. He is a baller. He just went 5-0 to end the season with the 49’ers. I know I was one of many that were big opponents of trading for JG. It looks like we may have been wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MoFugger
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Whatever we may have thought about Jimmy G. He is a baller. He just went 5-0 to end the season with the 49’ers. I know I was one of many that were big opponents of trading for JG. It looks like we may have been wrong.

My hat is off to him.
I prefer where we are now.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Adipost
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:I know i'm a huge brett kollmann fanboi at this point, but his video about jimmy g's throwing motion he just released is really good! I definitely learned a few things.

[video][/video]
LOL. I made a post on NFL reddit last week comparing Jimmy Garoppolo to Matt Barkley. I was sent death threats from 49ers fans, but Kollmann agreed with a lot of my points. I see it all in this new video of his, although he sugar coats it very well.

Here is the link to my post
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Whatever we may have thought about Jimmy G. He is a baller. He just went 5-0 to end the season with the 49’ers. I know I was one of many that were big opponents of trading for JG. It looks like we may have been wrong.

I would not crown him yet, but he has looked sharp. I will say the Rams rested a good portion of their team yesterday including Donald and Gurley the among the inactives. Remember at the beginning of 2006 when we finally had a healthy Rex Grossman? For the first 6 games that year the press was already craving out a bust for him in Canton. After that opposing coaches began to find his flaws on game film. JG is still a risk and the 49ers are going to have to pay him. If SF is smart they’ll tag him then wait to see if he is the real thing.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:I know i'm a huge brett kollmann fanboi at this point, but his video about jimmy g's throwing motion he just released is really good! I definitely learned a few things.

[video][/video]
LOL. I made a post on NFL reddit last week comparing Jimmy Garoppolo to Matt Barkley. I was sent death threats from 49ers fans, but Kollmann agreed with a lot of my points. I see it all in this new video of his, although he sugar coats it very well.

Here is the link to my post
WOW! That's a great video. Good insight into proper throwing mechanics.
malk
Head Coach

Those 5 interceptions represent 2.8% of his throws this year with the 7 TDs being 3.9%. If he'd made the qualifying passes they'd have him at 27th and 21st respectively.

Sure it's promising (and they aren't the only stats) but he hasn't been mind blowing.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Those 5 interceptions represent 2.8% of his throws this year with the 7 TDs being 3.9%. If he'd made the qualifying passes they'd have him at 27th and 21st respectively.

Sure it's promising (and they aren't the only stats) but he hasn't been mind blowing.
You didnt watch the video.
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
malk wrote:Those 5 interceptions represent 2.8% of his throws this year with the 7 TDs being 3.9%. If he'd made the qualifying passes they'd have him at 27th and 21st respectively.

You didnt watch the video.
Admittedly I hadn't but now have. Not sure it changes my post/opinion much. Kollmann (who has forgotten more about NFL QBs than I'll ever know) thinks he can make a minor mechanics change and be Brady like. Sure, but the league is littered with QBs that haven't been able to sort out out their mechanics. He's in a good system and fits it well but he's going to get paid right now and currently hasn't shown enough to warrant that.

That's a problem the league has rather than JG has but I'm happy we don't have to throw $20m+ per year at him.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well, look back on when he was originally being offered up ... the Patriots wanted a 1st and a 2nd round pick before answering anyone's call ... that price tag is what most opposed ... the 49ers got him at a markdown and looks like they got a deal
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

49ers GM details how he pried Garoppolo away from Patriots
John Lynch finally had his opening.

The 49ers GM — and the entire franchise — had been lusting over Jimmy Garoppolo for months, with the Patriots seemingly content to wait as long as possible to trade their backup quarterback.

“Other people tried vigorously to trade for the guy, because we all know at that position, when you think you have someone special, you do what you can to try to get them. The story’s been well-chronicled that I was rebuffed rather quickly, and that taught me a lot,” Lynch told MMQB.com recently.

“You respect so much the way the Patriots do things, the fact they weren’t willing to let him go said something. And ultimately, I won’t speak for them, but I think it had run its course there. I just felt really good about it, and that’s why we were so quick to pull the trigger when it presented itself.”

That opportunity came at the Oct. 31 trade deadline, when the 49ers sent their second-round pick to New England for Garoppolo. It seems a minuscule price to pay now. The Patriots would not have been able to pay both Garoppolo and Tom Brady next season, and the 40-year-old starter has shown few signs of slowing down and is not considering retirement.
the article title is kind of misleading as it does not reveal a whole lot about how Lynch actually got him for just a second rounder when the Patriots were asking for a 1st and 2nd round pick
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Kollmann (who has forgotten more about NFL QBs than I'll ever know) thinks he can make a minor mechanics change and be Brady like.
yeah, i took that as appeasing his viewers alittle bit. It felt way more honest when he was like "how do you sit behind tom brady for four years and have footwork that bad?!?"