49ers trade 2nd round pick to NE for Garopollo

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
malk wrote:Those 5 interceptions represent 2.8% of his throws this year with the 7 TDs being 3.9%. If he'd made the qualifying passes they'd have him at 27th and 21st respectively.

Sure it's promising (and they aren't the only stats) but he hasn't been mind blowing.
You didnt watch the video.
Admittedly I hadn't but now have. Not sure it changes my post/opinion much. Kollmann (who has forgotten more about NFL QBs than I'll ever know) thinks he can make a minor mechanics change and be Brady like. Sure, but the league is littered with QBs that haven't been able to sort out out their mechanics. He's in a good system and fits it well but he's going to get paid right now and currently hasn't shown enough to warrant that.

That's a problem the league has rather than JG has but I'm happy we don't have to throw $20m+ per year at him.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Whatever we may have thought about Jimmy G. He is a baller. He just went 5-0 to end the season with the 49’ers. I know I was one of many that were big opponents of trading for JG. It looks like we may have been wrong.

well, look back on when he was originally being offered up ... the Patriots wanted a 1st and a 2nd round pick before answering anyone's call ... that price tag is what most opposed ... the 49ers got him at a markdown and looks like they got a deal
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

49ers GM details how he pried Garoppolo away from Patriots
John Lynch finally had his opening.

The 49ers GM — and the entire franchise — had been lusting over Jimmy Garoppolo for months, with the Patriots seemingly content to wait as long as possible to trade their backup quarterback.

“Other people tried vigorously to trade for the guy, because we all know at that position, when you think you have someone special, you do what you can to try to get them. The story’s been well-chronicled that I was rebuffed rather quickly, and that taught me a lot,” Lynch told MMQB.com recently.

“You respect so much the way the Patriots do things, the fact they weren’t willing to let him go said something. And ultimately, I won’t speak for them, but I think it had run its course there. I just felt really good about it, and that’s why we were so quick to pull the trigger when it presented itself.”

That opportunity came at the Oct. 31 trade deadline, when the 49ers sent their second-round pick to New England for Garoppolo. It seems a minuscule price to pay now. The Patriots would not have been able to pay both Garoppolo and Tom Brady next season, and the 40-year-old starter has shown few signs of slowing down and is not considering retirement.
the article title is kind of misleading as it does not reveal a whole lot about how Lynch actually got him for just a second rounder when the Patriots were asking for a 1st and 2nd round pick
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Kollmann (who has forgotten more about NFL QBs than I'll ever know) thinks he can make a minor mechanics change and be Brady like.
yeah, i took that as appeasing his viewers alittle bit. It felt way more honest when he was like "how do you sit behind tom brady for four years and have footwork that bad?!?"