is the current NFL replay system a useful part of the game?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

is the current NFL replay system a useful part of the game?

* YES - many important plays can be ruled on after an idiot watches it in super slo-mo 15 times to ensure everything is perfect ... no need to change a thing
25%
* NO - many important plays are ruled on in a way that does not pass the eye test after an idiot watches it in super slo-mo 15 times ... and there are changes that need to be made
75%
* other
No votes

Total votes: 4
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

or is the current NFL replay system turning you off from the game?

I am getting very fed up with the entire NFL replay system ... the latest bullshit on the play Zach Miller was injured is just the most recent wtf moments I've seen ... there have been many others, and to me, it is distracting from the play on the field

the big thing for me is when the final call is made and it doesn't pass the eye test ... like on Miller's play ... he caught the ball, and is laying on his back in the endzone, ball still in his hand ... then when he rolls over to try to get up and realizes he may have a bad issue, he lets the ball go ... the initial (and correct call) was a touchdown ... the reversal came on that roll over he did which the NFL claims meant he did not complete the process of the catch

so I guess for Miller to have successfully "completed the process of the catch" he would have had to have possession of the ball all the way to the time they lifted him to get on the cart?

something has to be done about this ... it is almost not worth watching the games any more when what you see with your own eyes is over ruled by some idiot micro-analyzing the play frame by frame in ultra super slo-mo ... and that slo-mo analyses of every replay as if it was the Zapruder film to me was never the intention of the replay system

there is a quick and simple initial fix - make the replay officials watch all replays at game speed ... they can watch it as many times as they want, but at real game speed ... and then when their official rulings begin to start matching what the eyes see on game days, folks will start having some faith in the process
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I voted no for the Miller touchdown we lost. There have been many other plays where you have scratched your head wondering what they saw to overturn it as well.

With today's technology I'm sure they can at least figure out a way to make it better and faster.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I almost wish they would just go back to call it as they see them and tell the networks no slo mo replays. Ignorance is bliss.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I've been a proponent of game speed replays and only 1 view of each angle available. We expect the refs to make the call at game speed and slow mo replay only hurts the game IMO.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Just because they inexplicably and inexcusably fuck up the review now and then doesn't change the fact that they get it right with review far more often than they would (and used to) without.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I think it's useful. I think they make it more difficult than it needs to be though. Especially with the convoluted explanations they give.

Should just be "yep, it's clear the call should stand" or "nope it's clear the call should be overturned".

When they start getting into "well you see this little shadow here...blah blah blah" that it becomes a problem.
BR0D1E86
MVP

It is if they use the standards it was meant to have. If there's obvious video evidence, overturn it. If there isn't, or hell, if it takes you more than about 20 seconds of watching video to figure it out, the call stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk