Papa Johns takes crappy pizza away from NFL

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Papa John's Pulls NFL-Associated Ads Citing 'Negative Consumer Sentiment'
Pizza chain Papa John's announced Wednesday that it is pulling its advertising associated with the NFL, according to ESPN's Darren Rovell.

Per Jonathan Maze of Nation's Restaurant News, Papa John's founder John Schnatter said sales are down due to "negative consumer sentiment" regarding the company's relationship with the NFL.

Schnatter also called the NFL "an example of poor leadership," according to Maze.

A constant topic of discussion during the 2017 NFL season has been players' decision to protest during the national anthem.

While the trend was started by former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick last season, it has continued in 2017, especially since critical comments were made by President Donald Trump.

That led to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell sending a letter to all 32 NFL teams expressing his preference that players stand for the anthem.

The NFL hasn't enacted a rule forcing players to stand, but there is a clear schism between players and NFL leadership on the issue.

Per Rovell, Schnatter said the NFL's issues with its players should have been "nipped in the bud" 18 months ago.
I'm not a Papa Johns fan ... their pizza is ok but certainly nothing special (their crust needs work IMO) ... so I think this is a PR move more than anything to get people to focus on the pizza and maybe get a quick sales boost as people PO'd at the NFL will now buy their crappy pizza
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Not a fan of Papa John's pizza, or of Papa John Schnatter himself (seriously, Google John Schnatter to learn what a douche he has been and continues to be), so this couldn't possibly break my heart less.

Full disclosure: I actually met the guy once while working at a franchise in Carbondale twenty-odd years ago. He was a douche then too.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

I'd literally rather eat Tombstone pizza.
G08
Hall of Famer

Dominos' "new" hand tossed pan is actually pretty solid for cheap pizza
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

It won't be the last.

People really don't care if you protest, but mess with their escape and their flag and shit is going to go down hill fast.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

:censor:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I rarely eat pizza from the big chain restaurants. All pretty generic.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'd literally rather eat Tombstone pizza.
Tombstone is generally pretty edible ... you can make it more so if you pull it out of the oven when it is half done and add additional fresh cheese then put it back to finish
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I rarely eat pizza from the big chain restaurants. All pretty generic.

unfortunately very true ... but for convenience when pulling a late night at work it does work as food and can be tolerable
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I have never had papa johns. The NFL is not to blame for poor sales though.

As far as him being a douche. I searched him, and other then political opinions I don't see what you mean. Some of the articles about his opinions seem to have dramatic headlines but when I read them the quoted material wasn't. Maybe i didn't read enough.

He does look like a douche, and in your personal interaction he was a douche. So I don't doubt the he is.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:I have never had papa johns. The NFL is not to blame for poor sales though.

As far as him being a douche. I searched him, and other then political opinions I don't see what you mean. Some of the articles about his opinions seem to have dramatic headlines but when I read them the quoted material wasn't. Maybe i didn't read enough.

He does look like a douche, and in your personal interaction he was a douche. So I don't doubt the he is.
his biggest douche move was trying to get out of paying health benefits for employees during the Affordable Care Act starting up, claiming it will cost him too much and make him have to raise pizza prices ... don't want to get too deep into that as it will turn this into a political thread ... but the links are out there if you want to look

but the owner of a billion dollar business crying poor if he has to pay health benefits to workers just screams douche
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Pizza Hut CEO Says Sales Unimpacted by NFL Ratings Despite Papa John's Claims
Yum Brands CEO Greg Creed said Thursday that he has seen no negative effects from the company being associated with the NFL or other sports leagues.

According to Kate Taylor of Business Insider, Creed said, "We're not seeing impact on any of that on our business," in specific reference to Pizza Hut, which is among the companies under the Yum Brands umbrella.

Creed's comments came after Papa John's founder John Schnatter said Wednesday that the NFL has hurt his business due to national anthem protests and other issues between the players and league leadership, per ESPN's Darren Rovell.

Creed noted that Pizza Hut's affiliation with the NFL, MLB and NCAA has been beneficial from a sales perspective.
uh oh ... looks like

if I had to choose between the 2, Pizza Hut wins my vote
George Carlin
Wounded Bear
MVP

He's part of the Donald Trump crowd and this undoubtedly is part of a coordinated attack on the black players trying to bring attention to police misbehavior.

This maneuver should backfire in John Schnatter's plastic surgery altered face.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Wounded Bear
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:I have never had papa johns. The NFL is not to blame for poor sales though.

his biggest douche move was trying to get out of paying health benefits for employees during the Affordable Care Act starting up, claiming it will cost him too much and make him have to raise pizza prices ... don't want to get too deep into that as it will turn this into a political thread ... but the links are out there if you want to look

but the owner of a billion dollar business crying poor if he has to pay health benefits to workers just screams douche
Yes, yes, I remember. The 8% increase in pizza cost he claimed would ruin his business. A pizza which cost $10.00 is now $10.80 and that additional 80 cents would be enough to stop people from buying his cardboard pizza...

The only thing John Schnatter has accomplished is making the simple decision to purchase a pizza from one of his franchises a potentially political one.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
docc
Head Coach

..Met him in a business meeting..
A DOUCHEBAG,,

Just one guys opinion..
As a 1st gen Dago..
A shit alleged pizza..
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:

Oh I saw that but several companies said/ did similar things so it didn't register. Clearly he was more out spoken. Plus my opinions on the matter are different.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:This maneuver should backfire in John Schnatter's plastic surgery altered face.
sales are even further down and they have now been endorsed as the sort of official pizza of the neo-nazi alt right

which has led to an apology (sort of) :

Papa John's apologizes for criticizing NFL anthem protests
“We believe in the right to protest inequality and support the players’ movement to create a new platform for change. We also believe, as Americans, we should honor our anthem. There is a way to do both.”

Papa John’s added that it is “open to ideas from all. Except neo-Nazis.” It previously has tried to distance itself from white supremacists who praised Schnatter’s comments, saying it does not want those groups to buy its pizza.

The company’s stock has fallen by nearly 13 percent since Schnatter’s comments.
I think the driving force behind this is more their continued stock drop than anything else
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Just heard over the lunch hour on the radio, one of Papa John's biggest partner's/investors is none other than....................................................................................................................................................................................................................Jerry Jones.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The facts are that I’ve spent my life, the last 28 to 30 years of my life, being knee-deep and immersed in anything and everything I can do for the Cowboys and through that the NFL. On the other hand, I am a joint owner of the businesses of 120 Papa John’s stores here in Texas
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/11 ... -american/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:
The facts are that I’ve spent my life, the last 28 to 30 years of my life, being knee-deep and immersed in anything and everything I can do for the Cowboys and through that the NFL. On the other hand, I am a joint owner of the businesses of 120 Papa John’s stores here in Texas
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/11 ... -american/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so I suppose the speculation is Jones had plastic face make his anti-NFL statements because it would pain Goodell, and perhaps assist Jones in his current feud about Goodell's contract
George Carlin