Moderator: wab

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

You obviously know why.

Expect an appeal.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
BearDen
Journeyman

I think it's fitting, even if the hit was unintentional.
Wounded Bear
MVP

That game was like a Keystone Cop movie interrupted by an ISIS beheading video. If that was a college game, he would have been kicked out of the game for targeting.

Still not half as bad as Charles Martin on Jimmy Mac.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

BearDen wrote:I think it's fitting, even if the hit was unintentional.
I agree, but wouldn't be surprised if it got reduced to 1 after appeal just because I don't remember a two game suspension for a hit like that.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
botfly10
Player of the Month

He should be thankful he got off that easy. I was nervous for the bears that it might be in 4-6 game range.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

botfly10 wrote:He should be thankful he got off that easy. I was nervous for the bears that it might be in 4-6 game range.
I was thinking he'd get four games, then it'd be reduced to 2 or 3 after appeal. Now he might get it down to one after appeal since he doesn't have a history of nasty/illegal hits.

Vontaze Burfict had his suspension for his hit in preseason reduced from 5 to 3 games, and this wasn't the first or second time he's been fined/suspended for hits.

I expect Trevathan to have his reduced to one game.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I actually don't think he was targeting. However 2 games seems logical.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Whether or not he intended to do it. The player was srapped up and not going anywhere. He could have just as easily run up and pushed the pile over. Seems like a lenient ruling.
Richie
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:The player was srapped up and not going anywhere.
Wrapped up by one guy?

Pretty sure Dez Bryant was wrapped by 3 guys last week, and pushed 6 yards for the score.

Adams feet were moving, there was no whistle. You don't just stop, you finish the play.

I'm not saying it's not a flag/fine. For a first time offender though? In a very unclear hit? I don't get this outrage. I really think people were just phased by the image of Adams being loaded onto a stretcher, and it was also on National TV. So everyone around the country saw it and got to react.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Wrapped up by one guy?

Pretty sure Dez Bryant was wrapped by 3 guys last week, and pushed 6 yards for the score.

Adams feet were moving, there was no whistle. You don't just stop, you finish the play.

I'm not saying it's not a flag/fine. For a first time offender though? In a very unclear hit? I don't get this outrage. I really think people were just phased by the image of Adams being loaded onto a stretcher, and it was also on National TV. So everyone around the country saw it and got to react.
There's no doubt part of it is overreaction. If Adams is able to get up and play the next play, Danny is probably fined for the helmet to helmet hit, but I doubt he'd be suspended.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Wrapped up by one guy?

This is how I see it. Playing differently because you *think* he's not going anywhere is a recipe for failure. I'm sure Marcus Cooper didn't *think* there was anybody in hot pursuit of him either. You play until you hear the whistle. Period.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This is a great time to highlight my signature.

When you can lead with your head and hit somebody and it doesn't hurt YOU, then you are going to get much more of that. That's the incentive of having high tech hard helmets. How's legislating out those plays working?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RING4CHI wrote:
botfly10 wrote:He should be thankful he got off that easy. I was nervous for the bears that it might be in 4-6 game range.
I was thinking he'd get four games, then it'd be reduced to 2 or 3 after appeal. Now he might get it down to one after appeal since he doesn't have a history of nasty/illegal hits.

Vontaze Burfict had his suspension for his hit in preseason reduced from 5 to 3 games, and this wasn't the first or second time he's been fined/suspended for hits.

I expect Trevathan to have his reduced to one game.
I also expect it to be reduced by a game on appeal ... but I don't think it should be

he clearly saw his target, and he clearly led the hit with his helmet ... and I was very disappointed it was a member of the Bears delivering the cheap shot
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Funkster
MVP

The way I see it is it was a LB doing what he was taught since day one, clean up the play. Adams wasn't down, he was barely wrapped up by 1 defender, he wasn't a defenseless receiver, he was legally a runner. Trevathan was already in motion for the tackle and there was no whistle. There is no such thing as crowing when you're a runner. Hard ass hit no doubt but 2 game suspension for a 1st time offender? Fine the guy and move on. That would have made a NFL year end highlight videos 10 years ago.
Last edited by Funkster on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
malk
Head Coach

Yes to reducing padding, helmets etc. That's the only way this is going to get sorted out, but until then...

I don't think this was a dirty hit. It could have been what with frustration setting in but Trevathan doesn't have the rep and seems to have a healthy regard for the game that means, combined with Adams not being still (was being driven back iirc), I'll give him a pass.

However, I'm also fine with the suspension and even that it was only because Adams was hurt. If it's a de facto rule that a reckless play (or rather anything not freak) that leads to hurting a player results in a suspension... well then that might start players playing a little less recklessly.

I love the game but if it is to continue then injuries, short and long term, need to be addressed. There'll always be some macho bullshit about the smallest change making it non contact but that aside, it'd still be a great game with fewer massive tackles.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
edep12
Journeyman

Wounded Bear wrote:That game was like a Keystone Cop movie interrupted by an ISIS beheading video. If that was a college game, he would have been kicked out of the game for targeting.

Still not half as bad as Charles Martin on Jimmy Mac.
Not sure what point you are trying to make with the college rule issue. Yes, he would have been ejected but he also would miss less time
G08
Hall of Famer

I didn't think it was dirty... it was a bang-bang football play. I think he was aiming to put his hat on the ball and force a fumble, and as he went to strike Adams started to go down and unfortunately got hit in the helmet and knocked out cold.

It's football... he wasn't head-hunting IMO.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

You just do not lead with your head the way he did. PAck guy still moving, take his fucking legs out and that solves that.
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:I didn't think it was dirty... it was a bang-bang football play. I think he was aiming to put his hat on the ball and force a fumble, and as he went to strike Adams started to go down and unfortunately got hit in the helmet and knocked out cold.

Totally agree. You're taught to put your helmet on the ball. Not dirty at all.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:I didn't think it was dirty... it was a bang-bang football play. I think he was aiming to put his hat on the ball and force a fumble, and as he went to strike Adams started to go down and unfortunately got hit in the helmet and knocked out cold.

Totally agree. You're taught to put your helmet on the ball. Not dirty at all.

wtf game were you guys watching?

he didn't put his helmet on the ball (which would have been perfectly fine) ... he put his helmet into the face of the ball carrier

maybe he wasn't actually head hunting, but helmet to helmet contact, especially with force, is illegal
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

When you're going full speed in a football game (I only played linebacker in high school), you're picking your target and you're trying to hit him as hard as you can to get the ball out. Once you launch, and THEN the target moves, it's too late too adjust.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Gaytoe
Journeyman

I don't believe it was intentional at all. The thing that has bothered me the most is reading posts (my fault, I know) that are claiming Trevathan is a dirty player, should be banned from the league and demonizing him. I get it though, the game was nationally televised and the image of the stretcher is burned into everyone's mind.

Regardless of intent, helmet to helmet like that is going to get you in trouble. I personally don't think Trevathan could have changed his path once once Adams started to go down. Maybe if he had his head up he could have adjusted? But I really doubt it.

The whistle wasn't blown, the play still needed to be cleaned up. Trevathan was trying to cause a fumble and give our team some life. From everything I've seen and read about him, he doesn't seem like a guy that would intentionally try hurt someone. That doesn't mean he's not going to try and lay someone out. Could he have not gone for the big hit? Yeah but it was so quick. There was no way he could have known that would happen.

A 1 game suspension is fine, the NFL has got to do what it has to do. I get it. Everything went just wrong enough for that to happen, just unfortunate. I'm just glad Adams is okay.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:When you're going full speed in a football game (I only played linebacker in high school), you're picking your target and you're trying to hit him as hard as you can to get the ball out. Once you launch, and THEN the target moves, it's too late too adjust.

that's where maintaining control comes in

if guys were actually using proper tackling technique, this wouldn't be an issue ... but they aren't ... they're looking for the highlight reel slobberknocker ... and to get that, you have to be full speed almost out of control (which is the technique many bad special teams players employ, resulting in them running right past the returner rather than into him)

and yes, there are times the ball carrier creates the mess by bobbing and weaving resulting in a helmet to helmet hit the defender wasn't trying for

in this case, Trevathan was going for the slobberknocker and committed an illegal hit
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Gaytoe wrote:I don't believe it was intentional at all. The thing that has bothered me the most is reading posts (my fault, I know) that are claiming Trevathan is a dirty player, should be banned from the league and demonizing him.
not sure where you're reading that ... and I didn't see those posts here

I don't think Trevathan is a dirty player, but I do believe his shot on Thursday night was a dirty hit ... but unlike some others in the league, Trevathan is not a repeat offender in that category
George Carlin
Gaytoe
Journeyman

Boris13c wrote:
Gaytoe wrote:I don't believe it was intentional at all. The thing that has bothered me the most is reading posts (my fault, I know) that are claiming Trevathan is a dirty player, should be banned from the league and demonizing him.
not sure where you're reading that ... and I didn't see those posts here

I don't think Trevathan is a dirty player, but I do believe his shot on Thursday night was a dirty hit ... but unlike some others in the league, Trevathan is not a repeat offender in that category
It definitely wasn't on here. Mainly reddit and at the bottom of articles mentioning the game or the hit.
LacertineForest
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:When you're going full speed in a football game (I only played linebacker in high school), you're picking your target and you're trying to hit him as hard as you can to get the ball out. Once you launch, and THEN the target moves, it's too late too adjust.

that's where maintaining control comes in

if guys were actually using proper tackling technique, this wouldn't be an issue ... but they aren't ... they're looking for the highlight reel slobberknocker ... and to get that, you have to be full speed almost out of control (which is the technique many bad special teams players employ, resulting in them running right past the returner rather than into him)

and yes, there are times the ball carrier creates the mess by bobbing and weaving resulting in a helmet to helmet hit the defender wasn't trying for

in this case, Trevathan was going for the slobberknocker and committed an illegal hit
Agree completely with what you've said in this thread, Boris.

Trevathan isn't a dirty player, but leading with the crown of your helmet is a dirty play, even if it wasn't intentional. I agree with the suspension, and if he only gets 2 games (or fewer), then I consider him lucky.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Is it me, or did it look like it was the only play he had on him from the angle? Think the only way otherwise to make a play would be to run up, stop, and hand tackle him.

This stuff happens way too fast realtime. It won't matter if rules are changed, suspension s are put into place. It's the nature of the game. They fly to make the play. Just prior to hitting him he may have realized what was about to happen, wanted to pull away, and just didn't have time. It is what it is.

I recall playing hockey back in the day, I was chasing a puck into the corner. I was going near full speed and the defenseman had his back to me (we were both chasing). As I followed, I expected him to pull to the left and I kept going straight to stop the puck from going back up the boards. Needless to say, it was too late to change my course (speed, momentum, and time). I totally killed the kid. Felt bad about it, but shit happens.

Basically, he may have just been trying to do his job. Oh well...
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I don't think Danny is a dirty player, but I do think it was at least kind of a dirty hit or shot just due to how he lead with his helmet. I don't think he went in to hurt anyone, but I do think he went in to blow everything up.

I do think the suspension is harsh for a first time offender and that it should have been a healthy fine with a message of a longer suspension if it happened again.
Wounded Bear
MVP

46Blitz wrote:Is it me, or did it look like it was the only play he had on him from the angle? Think the only way otherwise to make a play would be to run up, stop, and hand tackle him.

This stuff happens way too fast realtime. It won't matter if rules are changed, suspension s are put into place. It's the nature of the game. They fly to make the play. Just prior to hitting him he may have realized what was about to happen, wanted to pull away, and just didn't have time. It is what it is.
That's what they said about hitting the QB at or below the knees as well as hits to the head, yet I would say that those hits have gone down in number considerably since the rule has gone into effect.

I agree, however, that shit happens quick out there. I unintentionally facemasked a shitload of dudes in my day as well as helmet to helmet shots, but in high school, we didn't get fined $10,000 or get suspended for X amount of games, so there wasn't exactly a huge incentive to stop.
Last edited by Wounded Bear on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Suspension reduced to one game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... witter_atn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;