Jerry Jones threatens to sue NFL over Goodell's contract

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Jerry Jones threatens to sue NFL if Roger Goodell's contract extension is approved
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has threatened to sue the National Football League if a contract extension for commissioner Roger Goodell is approved by the league's compensation committee, sources told Outside the Lines.

A team owner and a team executive told Outside the Lines that Jones has hired David Boies, the famed New York lawyer who represented Vice President Al Gore in the deadlocked 2000 presidential election -- and who led the NFL's court case during a dispute over the 2011 collective bargaining agreement negotiations. Boies has previously represented Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein, who now faces numerous sexual assault allegations.

The New York Times first reported the development on Wednesday.

The sources told Outside the Lines that Jones has been exploring the lawsuit option through Boies, if Goodell's contract is extended after the 2018 season as is being considered. Boies also represents DraftKings, the daily fantasy company in which Jones was an early investor.

Jones has not identified the grounds of such a lawsuit, but one source said Jones is exploring whether a requirement that two-thirds of owners must approve a commissioner's contract could be increased to three-fourths of owners. Another source said that Boies also might be asked by Jones to produce a report showing the negative economic impact that Goodell's major decisions, including player discipline, have had on clubs.

interesting Jones didn't seem to have a problem until Goodell took down one of his players ... ever since the Elliot case got started, Jones has changed his tune about player discipline and commissioner power

I hope this becomes a complete mess since both Goodell and Jones deserve to be mired in the same muck of negative news
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I can't say who I dislike more, Jones or Goodell. I can't really root for either of them.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
mshu7
Pro Bowler

^^^
I'd like to see Goodell sent packing. He has obviously screwed the pooch a lot since taking over and since he sits atop the food chain (in theory), I'd be far more interested in him getting the boot over one annoying owner.
-Shu
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:I can't say who I dislike more, Jones or Goodell.
I can.

Jones is a mega-douche and what he trying to pull off is terrible for the NFL.

If Jones manages to remove the commissioner for daring to try and discipline one of Jones' players, then the rule is set - commissioners need to give special treatment to the most powerful and influential owners and don't dare dish out any discipline to them.

It would be a lot like a defendant appearing before a judge and telling the judge in open court 'if you find me guilty, you'll never sit on the bench anywhere again' - and having the ability to make it happen.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Doesn't Goodell technically work for the owners?
-Shu
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Jerry Jones is truly a world class prick, an asshole's asshole.

He's the "somebody" who always has to fuck up a good thing for everybody else.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

mshu7 wrote:Doesn't Goodell technically work for the owners?

yes ... but there is (in theory) checks and balances in place to make his duties a shared responsibility so things go for the good of the league

there seems to be a certain disconnect of late with this theory
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:I can't say who I dislike more, Jones or Goodell.
I can.

Jones is a mega-douche and what he trying to pull off is terrible for the NFL.

If Jones manages to remove the commissioner for daring to try and discipline one of Jones' players, then the rule is set - commissioners need to give special treatment to the most powerful and influential owners and don't dare dish out any discipline to them.

It would be a lot like a defendant appearing before a judge and telling the judge in open court 'if you find me guilty, you'll never sit on the bench anywhere again' - and having the ability to make it happen.
pus wrote:Jerry Jones is truly a world class prick, an asshole's asshole.

He's the "somebody" who always has to fuck up a good thing for everybody else.

it would seem the other owners need to put the slapdown on Jones ... Goodell is a jackass in my view, but they cannot let 1 owner go rogue and fuck it all up for everybody as Jones seems intent on doing simply because he is a narrow minded selfish asshole

there are measures in place allowing owner majority to sanction an owner getting out of line ... not sure any of these options have even been explored since the days of Weird Al Davis marching to his own drummer and pretty much getting away with it

but - what if there is another side to this?

what if Jones objections with Goodell stem from something other than the punishment to Elliot? what if it is about the deeper obvious issues regarding various things in the NFL? like Goodell's public mishandling of other disciplinary cases? or the bad replay system? or the stealing of home games from fans so he can pursue his overseas agenda (an agenda not 100% endorsed by the owners)?

there could be much more to this and result in Jones having a point about Goodell needing to go

I think Goodell needs to go for several reasons but my vote doesn't count
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Committee to talk Roger Goodell contract; last commish proposal included $49.5M salary, private jet
The NFL's Compensation Committee will hold a conference call Monday to discuss and further push ahead the proposed extension for commissioner Roger Goodell, sources confirmed to ESPN.

The conference call, first reported Saturday by The New York Times, comes after Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones voiced his displeasure about the contract extension that the committee has been discussing. The call also gives the committee a chance to do what it believes is right.

The committee will address Goodell's salary and compensation package. The last written counterproposal from Goodell, which was around the first of August, was seeking about $49.5 million per year, as well as the lifetime use of a private jet and lifetime health insurance for his family, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.
that is quite the compensation package to just wear a suit and be an idiot

he is making money for the owners, which is all most (if not all) of them care about ... but I do not think he is good for the sport
George Carlin
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Other owners getting fed up with the flaming bag of poop that is Jerry Jones

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/11/1 ... erry-jones" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.