Giants : Eli to start, Geno Smith benched

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Manning has been pretty bad for a while now. Beckham has been the stopper keeping the sands from running out of Manning's hourglass. If the Jags are dumb enough to sign him, they'll get the same thing the giants have had...an 8-8 team that struggles to get to the playoffs.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
UOK
Site Admin

edit: fuck
BR0D1E86
MVP

Boris13c wrote:I'm not sure I get this. Ok, Eli isn't having a great year, but he is certainly not the only problem the Giants have. And why bench him for Geno Smith? If they benched him to make the rest of the season a live action training camp for their rookie Davis Webb, I could see it.

I'm guessing this means Eli will be available to play elsewhere in 2018 and beyond if he doesn't retire.
I bet he’s a Cardinal next year.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I'm not sure I get this. Ok, Eli isn't having a great year, but he is certainly not the only problem the Giants have. And why bench him for Geno Smith? If they benched him to make the rest of the season a live action training camp for their rookie Davis Webb, I could see it.

I'm guessing this means Eli will be available to play elsewhere in 2018 and beyond if he doesn't retire.
he'd make a nice stop gap for some team that wants to take the time to develop a qb.
but the cardinals have been in cap hell for some time, i'd put money on them getting away from another old, expensive qb and arians finally drafting his guy.
BR0D1E86
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

he'd make a nice stop gap for some team that wants to take the time to develop a qb.
but the cardinals have been in cap hell for some time, i'd put money on them getting away from another old, expensive qb and arians finally drafting his guy.
Arians talks about retiring about as often as John Fox says something that makes you wonder if he's a real NFL coach or if he's a coach the way Jeapordy on Saturday Night Live was a real game show. I doubt he has the patience for a rookie quarterback.

He might like the challenge, but I'd bet he'll bend over backward to find a veteran. And I doubt Eli would be prohibitively expensive given that I never considered him all that great, and he's not been very good compared to his peak for a while now.
MoFugger
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:

Bet on.
Name your price.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

and he's back

Eli Manning to replace Geno Smith as Giants' starter
Eli Manning is back in the saddle one week after the New York Giants snapped his 210-game start streak.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday that Manning would start Sunday versus the Dallas Cowboys. The decision came after Giants coaches and staffers had final game-planning discussions, per sources informed of the decision.

The move back to Manning comes a day after Monday's firing of coach Ben McAdoo.

Reverting to the veteran quarterback a week after ending his iron-man streak is the latest admission from the Giants' organization that they bungled the situation.

Last week, the Giants announced Manning would be benched in favor of Geno Smith and rookie Davis Webb as the organization attempted to evaluate its younger quarterbacks during a cratering season.

Co-owner John Mara confirmed Monday that McAdoo conjured the idea to test-run Smith and Webb, but only after starting Manning for a half. Mara approved the decision and took the blame for not doing more to quash the move -- or at least insist on more finesse from McAdoo.

Manning rightfully rebuffed the idea of taking token starts simply to prolong his streak.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

WTF, you let a coach whom you know you are going to fire bench your 2 time superbowl winning QB then fire him right after and go back to said QB?

Say what you want, but Eli isn't the problem with that team. No receivers, no o-line and no running game all while his stats aren't garbage and better than some QB with a lot more talent around them.

If Eli is on the jags right now they are freaking deadly.