Patriots - Gronkowski gets 1 game off for cheap shot

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Rob Gronkowski suspended one game for late hit
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski has been suspended one game by the NFL without pay for his late hit on defenseless Buffalo Bills cornerback Tre'Davious White in Sunday's 23-3 victory.

Gronkowski was penalized on the play but not ejected from the game. It is the first NFL suspension for Gronkowski since he entered the league as a second-round draft choice with the Patriots in 2010.
that was an extremely dirty hit to the head of a player on the ground with the play over ... 1 game seems kind of light considering all the official talk of player protection

remember Trevathan got 2 games (reduced to 1 on appeal) for a hit with the player actually upright and the play still going
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yes, but Trevathan wasn't on the Patriots, so.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That was as dirty as dirty can get.
BR0D1E86
MVP

He appealed. They should extend the suspension on appeal. I wouldn’t have batted an eye at four games for that. There’s absolutely no place for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:He appealed. They should extend the suspension on appeal. I wouldn’t have batted an eye at four games for that. There’s absolutely no place for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, double it if it is a stupid appeal. No possible justification or misrepresentation of what Gronk did on that play.
Richie
MVP

A game is about right.

In the end, Trevathan's was only one. I agree Gronk's was more egregious, but Trevathan's also happened on primetime. More people watching, and creating a stir about it.

Case and point, those players from the Pittsburgh/Cincy game last night received suspensions. The NFL likely feels they have respond more harshly when something like that happens on National TV. In order to protect the narrative that they are dedicated to "player safety".
BR0D1E86
MVP

Richie wrote:A game is about right.

In the end, Trevathan's was only one. I agree Gronk's was more egregious, but Trevathan's also happened on primetime. More people watching, and creating a stir about it.
Gronkowski’s has been at least as heavily publicized because it’s him and it’s the Patriots. Trevathan’s hit warranted what he got after appeal, a game (initially 2 iirc). But at least it was between the whistles. Gronskowski’s was well after the play was over, premeditated and a shot at a guy’s head. That was inexcusably dirty. I honestly wouldn’t have batted an eye at four games. It would have been very warranted.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Should've been the rest of the season. Playoffs too.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:

Gronkowski’s has been at least as heavily publicized because it’s him and it’s the Patriots. Trevathan’s hit warranted what he got after appeal, a game (initially 2 iirc). But at least it was between the whistles. Gronskowski’s was well after the play was over, premeditated and a shot at a guy’s head. That was inexcusably dirty. I honestly wouldn’t have batted an eye at four games. It would have been very warranted.

exactly ... it being after the play was dead should have warranted a higher suspension category right off the bat ... and a direct intentional shot at a defenseless player's head

Gronk should have gotten 4 games minimum
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:

Guys take extra shots after the whistle all of the time. This was worse than usual, hence the one game suspension. However, people are being a bit melodramatic.

Trevathan shouldn't have been suspended at all. There's zero way that you can tell me that was flagrant. I understand the flag, and maybe the fine. However, a suspension insinuates that he did it on purpose. Total BS...
Richie
MVP

alexwilkins wrote:Should've been the rest of the season. Playoffs too.
Jesus Christ people... lol

Look at the damn AJ Green play, he grabbed a guy around the neck and body-slammed him by the head.

It's football, emotions run high. It's a physical game. Sometimes guys lose their cool, and their impulses lead them to do stupid shit. You're asking guys to murder each other in 5-6 second bursts, over the course of three hours. Then stop immediately upon hearing a whistle blown. Shit's going to happen.

This wasn't some pre-meditated Charles Martin/McMahon body-slam. He lost his head for a moment. One game is quite fine.

People need to get over their Patriots obsession. Good god.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Richie wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

Guys take extra shots after the whistle all of the time. This was worse than usual, hence the one game suspension. However, people are being a bit melodramatic.

Trevathan shouldn't have been suspended at all. There's zero way that you can tell me that was flagrant. I understand the flag, and maybe the fine. However, a suspension insinuates that he did it on purpose. Total BS...
The suspension doesn’t insinuate that Trevathan did it on purpose. And I don’t think anyone in the league thinks he did. But those hits are totally being legislated out of the game and they’re punishing guys for them all over the league.

I don’t care whether or not guys take shots after the whistle all the time. They’re all about protecting guys’ heads. Then they have a 260 or whatever pound guy sizing up the back of a guy’s head way, way after a play is over and then driving it into the turf with his shoulder. That was a disgusting hit.

A long while back a hockey player was criminally charged for something during a game. This is along those lines. He wasn’t delivering a hit in the game, he was trying to injure a guy lying on the ground way after the play was over.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Richie wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:Should've been the rest of the season. Playoffs too.
Jesus Christ people... lol

Look at the damn AJ Green play, he grabbed a guy around the neck and body-slammed him by the head.

It's football, emotions run high. It's a physical game. Sometimes guys lose their cool, and their impulses lead them to do stupid shit. You're asking guys to murder each other in 5-6 second bursts, over the course of three hours. Then stop immediately upon hearing a whistle blown. Shit's going to happen.

This wasn't some pre-meditated Charles Martin/McMahon body-slam. He lost his head for a moment. One game is quite fine.

People need to get over their Patriots obsession. Good god.
First of all, the Pats can go fuck themselves. Second, Gronk could’ve ended Tre’s career right there. Obviously Gronk wasn’t expecting to be covered by a 190lb. corner. That’s no excuse to throw your 280lb. body at a grounded persons neck. Gronk’s obsessed with the #69. He’s a meathead. He’s not gona learn unless you give him a punishment worth remembering.