NFL suspends JuJu Smith-Schuster, George Iloka one game each

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Funkster
MVP

At least one player is willing to speak truth!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2169 ... d-hits-nfl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:I don't think the block on Burfict was a hit to the head ... his head injury came from the way it slammed against the turf
That's quite an odd interpretation of that play. lol

His head actually does not even seem to hit the ground upon landing.

Even better angle at 2:19 of this clip

[video][/video]

Crown of the helmet is first (or at the very least, simultaneous) contact, as he launches upwards at his head/neck area. Really as clear as day.
Last edited by Richie on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richie
MVP

wab wrote:I mean, the taunting by JSS was unnecessary, but I didn't think it was an inherently "dirty" block. Burfict was coming for the guy and didn't see JSS. I wouldn't exactly call him defenseless.
https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/20 ... ss-posture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ARTICLE 7. PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE
It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

Players in a defenseless posture are:

10. A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck

In this instance, according to the NFL rule-book. Burfict is considered just as "defenseless" as a WR going over the middle and attempting to make a catch in mid-air.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I don't think the block on Burfict was a hit to the head ... his head injury came from the way it slammed against the turf

I think it was a good block ... the taunting part was stupid
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Richie wrote:

I think it was a good block ... the taunting part was stupid
I mean, a few years ago it was a good block. Now, that's the shining example of what the NFL was outlawing with this rule.

As I posted above...

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ss-posture

ARTICLE 7. PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE
It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

Players in a defenseless posture are:

10. A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck

In this instance, according to the NFL rule-book. Burfict is considered just as "defenseless" as a WR going over the middle and attempting to make a catch in mid-air.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:In this instance, according to the NFL rule-book. Burfict is considered just as "defenseless" as a WR going over the middle and attempting to make a catch in mid-air.

so what was the blocker supposed to do?

"oh - the guy about to tackle my runner is not looking at me ... so I cannot block him"

I guess the receiver could have just stood there and let Burfict run him over as a way to deflect him from making the tackle ... unfortunately the NFL does not have the same rules for charging that the NBA does so nothing would happen to Burfict, and the WR that was steamrolled might not have prevented a tackle

they need to re-think this defenseless player stuff
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin